Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM

305 posts, read 196,191 times

Advertisements

Hmmm low unemployment does not mean that the jobs that people are occupying (same argument that Bone Spur made during his campaign) that people are employed at meaningful level.
See here people getting paid minimum wage, or many of us working two and three jobs to make ends meet.

Our economy for the 1% (read wall street bonuses in hundreds of thousands of dollars) Corporate officers (as a result of the tax cut for corporation bought back stock and hence stock prices increased and they received huge bonuses.

Whereas working stiffs pension plans gutted! Frozen as to number of years and only increase in pension is by COLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
First, the government isn't "SHUT DOWN". Pelosi and Schumer are getting their checks!

I doubt anyone is feeling anything negative and life goes on exactly as it did two weeks ago.

The only people hurt are non-essential employees, which in all honestly shouldn't have a job if they are not essential. Also some federal law enforcement agents in several agencies will not get a check. The irony here is that they're fine with not getting paid if it means getting border security done.

Did anyone see the presser yesterday with all the agency managers and law enforcement chairs standing with Trump?
Both parties are responsible for the last 30 years of getting paid for doing nothing.
The real damage to this country is not doing a damn thing!

The Dems are keeping the government partially shuttered the government over $5B while claiming it is costing taxpayers billions.
Dumb and Dumber.
They promised Trump would get at least partial funding back in Jan 2018, then after he signed the massive budget where everyone got everything, they turned around and broke their promise. Go figure.

I blame them for this.
Far too many buy into anything the minion media and far left promote!! This is about pure obstructionism, not money, the wall or anything else. The left has been totally deranged since 2016 and has no platform or ideas ... beyond oppose Trump. What have the Dems accomplished since 2016? ... absolutely nothing! Trump, on other hand has kept a large percentage of his campaign promises!

Trump is the duly elected POTUS, which is something the 'lawless left' is unwilling to accept with any semblance of grace or civility. They would rather destroy the country, than admit they have lost their power or control. Use the money ostensibly saved by the government shutdown to fix the illegal immigration problem1

Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Why spend money on something which is not needed?
People disagree all the time over what is needed and what is not needed. Even the BP agents, some think the wall is helpful, some don't want it. This is true for just about every budget proposal you can imagine.

But the point is you need to be pragmatic. If someone asked for 5 billion dollars to fund something and the only other option is a government shutdown that ends up costing the government more, the cool levelheaded person would write it in. It's 0.1% of the budget.

But this is not about 5 billion. It's about politics, egos, and abstract principles.

If Trump wanted 5 billion for something that wasn't a political wedge issue, it would be written right away without anyone blinking.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good! Maybe people will stop looking to big government for every, and all their solutions in life.
Tell that to the government workers who rely on their paychecks. BTW, I don't know anybody who looks to big government to pay for every and all their solutions in life. Hyperbole much?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is no flaw in the logic. By Democrats not granting this 5 billion, they're just as culpable for this shutdown as Trump. They're shutting down the government on principle as well - the principle is either "no wall" or "don't cave to Trump" or some combination of both.

If it's just cold hard math - 5 billion is nothing, and would be written in right away.

Framing this to "what if Obama would have" is textbook whataboutism.
Its not whataboutism at all. Its illustrating the danger of tying policy issues to budgetary funding. "I'll shut down the government if I don't get X" is not the way to resolve policy issues and agreeing to such things because the overall financial impact is relatively small just perpetuates the issue.

I'm serious. If the next President says "I'll shut down the government if I don't get $5 billion to subsidize abortions" or "I'll shut down the government if I don't get $5 billion to give legal aid to asylum applicants from Honduras" is your response really going to be "just give it to him/her because $5 billion is nothing"? I don't think so.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Far too many buy into anything the minion media and far left promote!! This is about pure obstructionism, not money, the wall or anything else. The left has been totally deranged since 2016 and has no platform or ideas ... beyond oppose Trump. What have the Dems accomplished since 2016? ... absolutely nothing! Trump, on other hand has kept a large percentage of his campaign promises!
Congress and Trump had a deal a couple of weeks ago. Until he started to listening to Ann Coulter. He embarrassed the hell out of the GOP.

What campaign promises has he kept that haven't wreaked havoc?

Last edited by trobesmom; 01-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
First, the government isn't "SHUT DOWN". Pelosi and Schumer are getting their checks!

I doubt anyone is feeling anything negative and life goes on exactly as it did two weeks ago.

The only people hurt are non-essential employees, which in all honestly shouldn't have a job if they are not essential. Also some federal law enforcement agents in several agencies will not get a check. The irony here is that they're fine with not getting paid if it means getting border security done.

Did anyone see the presser yesterday with all the agency managers and law enforcement chairs standing with Trump?

Both parties are responsible for the last 30 years of getting paid for doing nothing.

The real damage to this country is not doing a damn thing!

The Dems are keeping the government partially shuttered the government over $5B while claiming it is costing taxpayers billions.

Dumb and Dumber.

They promised Trump would get at least partial funding back in Jan 2018, then after he signed the massive budget where everyone got everything, they turned around and broke their promise. Go figure.

I blame them for this.
You honestly believe that people are “okay” with not being able to feed their children or pay their bills?

Unbelievable.

https://abc11.com/politics/working-f...-hard/5006724/

There are many, many more reports just like this one.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Its not whataboutism at all.
Yes, it LITERALLY is whataboutism. Do you know what whatboutism is?

Quote:
"I'll shut down the government if I don't get $5 billion to subsidize abortions" or "I'll shut down the government if I don't get $5 billion to give legal aid to asylum applicants from Honduras" is your response really going to be "just give it to him/her because $5 billion is nothing"? I don't think so.
First all, I'm pro-choice, and I would love if the USA had medicaid for all that covered abortion for women if they needed it.

But, my personal politics on abortion, immigration are offtopic here. What's going on is you're so partisan (Democrats rah rah or on the flipside - Republicans rah rah) that you're saying a lot of dumb things, and a lot of things that don't make sense. And you don't even realize it.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Yes, it LITERALLY is whataboutism. Do you know what whatboutism is?
Yes. Its pointing to something someone else has done to distract or justify from the discussion about what the person being discussed has done. What I wrote was a hypothetical illustration. It did not try to justify Trump's demands by arguing that Obama did it too. Clearly you do not understand what whataboutism is.

Quote:
First all, I'm pro-choice, and I would love if the USA had medicaid for all that covered abortion for women if they needed it.

But, my personal politics on abortion, immigration are offtopic here. What's going on is you're so partisan (Democrats rah rah or on the flipside - Republicans rah rah) that you're saying a lot of dumb things, and a lot of things that don't make sense. And you don't even realize it.
So what you are saying is that you don't understand the danger of setting a precedent whereby the President makes policy and legislative demands of Congress under threat of shutting down the Government and Congress capitulates because it is the "cheaper" option. The Founding Fathers would like to have a word with you about that, I'm sure.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
President Clinton had one of his shutdowns last 21 days. Obama had a 17 day shutdown.

We should use this as an opportunity for managers to decide if many of their nonessential employees can be permanently laid off. Maybe offer early retirement payments. That will save us a fortune. There are plenty of jobs in the private sector now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies