Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Why would the GOP put country over party now when they've been doing the exact opposite for the past two years and more?

One of the many ironies of this shutdown is that immigration judges (who apparently are considered to be non-essential workers) will not be hearing any immigration cases until this shutdown is finally ended. I just heard on the PBS Newshour that something like 800,000 immigration cases are now pending and should the shutdown continue, many of these cases will be strung out for years. So, Trumpers, does that make you feel safer? I mean, really?
Yeah. Really!
Trump is not going to do without his wall. If it takes months, that's fine.
If Congress had passed reasonable immigration law, then people would not be jumping the fence and asking for asylum so that they would be freed into an 800,000 case backlog. Where they are never going to show up, anyway. Immigrants are not stupid; they know that if they can just get in, our system can be used against us, and they may never be sent back.
The Dems had a super majority once and could have fixed it. They didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Really!
Oh, please. You want to get rid of the Coast Guard, Homeland Security, Immigration judges, etc., etc in one fell swoop because that will ultimately protect our country? If so, you are every bit as crazy as your "stable genius" of a leader. If I were planning to enter this country illegally, I would do it during a lengthy government shutdown where the republicans want to cut off their noses to spite their faces. Talk about having open borders!

Quote:
If Congress had passed reasonable immigration law, then people would not be jumping the fence and asking for asylum so that they would be freed into an 800,000 case backlog. Where they are never going to show up, anyway. Immigrants are not stupid; they know that if they can just get in, our system can be used against us, and they may never be sent back.
I guess you would know since the republicans had a super majority once and could have fixed it. You didn't. You can't blame the democrats for your own abysmal failures of the past two years.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Looks like it's true that Individual 1 destroys anyone that works under him.

https://twitter.com/DrewLinzer/statu...17988498190336

Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Really!
Trump has had a majority for 2 years. Instead of being fixated on a wall why didn’t he do anything about immigration reform. Trump is not going to get his wall. Many affected by this shutdown work paycheck to paycheck. So no it’s not fine if it takes months. So this is all on him.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, please. You want to get rid of the Coast Guard, Homeland Security, Immigration judges, etc., etc in one fell swoop because that will ultimately protect our country? If so, you are every bit as crazy as your "stable genius" of a leader. If I were planning to enter this country illegally, I would do it during a lengthy government shutdown where the republicans want to cut off their noses to spite their faces. Talk about having open borders!

I guess you would know since the republicans had a super majority once and could have fixed it. You didn't. You can't blame the democrats for your own abysmal failures of the past two years.

Republicans didn't have a super majority (67+ votes), or even a filibuster proof majority (60+ votes) over the last two years. They only had a simple majority of 51 votes.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has had a majority for 2 years.

See post #14.

Quote:
Instead of being fixated on a wall why didn’t he do anything about immigration reform.
Trump sent a proposal (that I linked to in another thread) where he caved on the 'dreamers', but stipulated an end to chain migration and an end to the visa lottery. It was rejected.

Quote:
Trump is not going to get his wall. Many affected by this shutdown work paycheck to paycheck. So no it’s not fine if it takes months. So this is all on him.
Is your husband one of the furloughed workers?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:31 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
See post #14.

Trump sent a proposal (that I linked to in another thread) where he caved on the 'dreamers', but stipulated an end to chain migration and an end to the visa lottery. It was rejected.

Is your husband one of the furloughed workers?
No my husband is not affected. I know many who are though. Some are government contractors who probably won’t get the back pay.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:20 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the Senate passes this funding bill and Trump vetoes it, the shutdown will be entirely on him and not even his most dim-witted supporter will be thinking otherwise. His autocratic arrogance should no longer be tolerated by anyone.
No worries on that. The bill has no chance of passing the Senate so there you go
The Senate isn't going to send Trump anything that he won't sign. Poof, there goes your anti Trump ramp down the drain.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No worries on that. The bill has no chance of passing the Senate so there you go
The Senate isn't going to send Trump anything that he won't sign. Poof, there goes your anti Trump ramp down the drain.
Trump is holding onto this maniacal wall obsession to deflect from the real elephants in the room and to appeal to his base because it's all he's got left to keep them salivating like Pavlov's dog and in his corner. He knows he has one foot out the door...bone spurs and all...if he ever had those to begin with.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has had a majority for 2 years. Instead of being fixated on a wall why didn’t he do anything about immigration reform. Trump is not going to get his wall. Many affected by this shutdown work paycheck to paycheck. So no it’s not fine if it takes months. So this is all on him.
I'm not sure Trump has any logic to his thinking lol.

He seems to think that Congress works for him and gives him exactly what he wants... or else he throws a temper tantrum. I hope the House Democratic Caucus teaches him a real lesson in the next 2 years, it'll be fun to watch indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies