Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Tell your boss this. I'm sure they'd be delighted to know that you'll work for free if they just decide to not pay you.
Like I said, I will work for free in context of this discussion, if my job involved medical, safety, security, etc, something of importance, but would not work for free mopping the floor or doing some non-essential task.

These people will get paid, so it is a bit disingenuous to say they are working for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Ok. and all these sick calls have been 3 days? You know that correct?
Did I or anyone say that? I was merely answering the question/adding input that the fed gov can request notes if more than three days sick. I have no idea about these people other than what is in the news.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:38 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Like I said, I will work for free in context of this discussion, if my job involved medical, safety, security, etc, something of importance, but would not work for free mopping the floor or doing some non-essential task.

These people will get paid, so it is a bit disingenuous to say they are working for free.
There is no guarantee they will be paid. Remember, Trump is in charge. he has a history of stiffing workers.,

Old 01-05-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
There is no guarantee they will be paid. Remember, Trump is in charge. he has a history of stiffing workers.,
No, the people who are actually working are guaranteed to get paid. The people who are not working are not guaranteed.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...-furloughs.pdf

"Agencies will incur obligations to pay for services performed by excepted employees during a lapse in appropriations, and those employees will be paid after Congress passes and the President signs a new appropriation or continuing resolution.”

Old 01-05-2019, 12:42 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:

Will they receive any compensation for the failure of their employer to pay them in timely manner? Pay+interest, at least?

Because they’re technically losing out on the ability to use the money they’ve earned, and that money is accruing interest whilst not in their control.....

Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Parsing the truth
There ARE federal jobs not being done because of Trump hearing the dog whistles of the alt right
I believe the purpose of that post was to point out the stupidity of comparing this shutdown to a typical weekend or holiday.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
“Dotard”..........a word first brought to our attention by Kim Jong Un. Kim is 10 times nuttier than Trump. Why are we emulating the North Korean murderous dictator?
Perhaps because Trump said he's a "smart cookie?"

Old 01-05-2019, 01:27 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:

Nothing is for certain with Trump at the helm. I know many workers who have worked for him that will verify this. They will likely get paid but when will it happen. You can 't pay your bills on promises.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You’re delusional if you don’t think a prolonged shutdown will have a negative impact on the private sector.
Exactly. There are a lot of people here who think all those government employees are useless and don't care that they may not be paid for weeks or months, or that people could end up going hungry if this thing ends up delaying SNAP benefits, but that's awfully short-sighted. This is a consumer economy, and when those folks stop spending money because they don't have any, the effects will spread. Also, I can't wait to hear the howls of outrage when some of these same people realize that while they still have to file their tax returns on time, their refunds may be delayed indefinitely. Businesses count on tax season, too, you know. I'm sure I am not the only person who has seen an ad encouraging people to use their refund to buy a new TV or make a downpayment on a car.

Anyone who really believes they will not eventually feel the effects of a long-term shutdown is a pure fool.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:

That's admirable, but how long would you continue to do so if you were depleting your savings to feed your family? Months? Years? I don't think so. Eventually, you would leave and find an employer who would pay you for your services. On time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies