Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

She's just pandering to her base. It'll never happen. Two wrongs don't make a right. It would be so messy and so complex there would probably be riots in the streets if they tried enforce reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Again, I don't owe the descendants of black slave ANYTHING. And it was Chinese immigrant men who built and died for the construction of the Trans Continental Railroad. And we had to deal with the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. And women were late in being allowed to vote in the US.

However, despite what my ancestors in America and past American women had to deal with... the Chinese community and the female community in the US are two high functioning groups of people. So what is the excuse for blacks????

And all the money in the world can't fix the problems in the black community... that is really all up to them. The ghetto culture is a broken dysfunctional one, yet the black community stubbornly embraces it and treats it as precious and a symbol of rebelling against the "man".

And btw, I see that the quote for the congresswoman is that the reparations would be to "repair some of the damage" caused by slavery... which means that more demands will follow.

Anyway, I am so glad not to be a member of a group that loves its victimhood so much. I'd be very embarrassed and ashamed to be connected to it.
Agreed! It's also kind of interesting to note the the Black race is the oldest race on record, with the oldest civilizations, and they ruled the lands for thousands of years. They already had mass advantages over all other races. And, it's also interesting to note that it was the Arab and Black Moors that invaded Europe and enslaved the European white people for about 600-700 years before they were finally overthrown and kicked out. Maybe all that is happening today is some kind of karma being passed down from their own ancestors who might have done unthinkable atrocities.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Can those of us of Irish lineage get a piece of that action?

Granted they came here voluntarily but they were treated like lesser human beings. So a small piece would be okay.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Yes I know, America doesn't care that it is built on theft.
That's pretty much the history of the world. Check it out.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Mo money will fix everathing.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Preferential treatment when applying for jobs? what data are you looking at?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-think/281175/

https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-co...-b7639607fdf1/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...503-story.html (keep ind mind - this was a really weakly-designed study)

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ely-get-respo/

https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

I don't think Affirmative Action is the right answer by any means, but let's not pretend it is any "great equalizer".

The biggest issue is that we address these issues WAY too late. You can't address these problems in college. Or even High School. We need to do more to educate our young minority children about different opportunities they have.

I mentor a young black kid from a disadvantaged school weekly at my work (through a "giving back" program that we run for the local community), and honestly the biggest issue you need to overcome is psychological. You can tell that he was never shown that science is something he COULD do. It is an option for him. He is young and bright, and he gets it. But I worry once he grows up where he will go from there...because I know he has never had this attention previously. Nor been shown the options he has in life.

Let's give up the act that because slavery is long over, or that Jim Crow was last century, that everything went back to being equal. Those communities will be living with those legacies for generations. It's very hard to undo that kind of damage, much less what is essentially overnight from a human generational perspective.

Americans didn't do this. Democrats did.
The party of slavery
The party of the KKK
The party of Jim Crow
The party that imprisoned East Asian looking people, for no other reason than the way they looked
The party that fought against MLK
The party that refused the civil rights act
The party that told all black Americans they could not make it in life without government privilege.
The party of the sexual revolution
The party that has sexualized the children
The party that promotes and rewards single motherhood.
The party that has always used race as a weapon.

Ya, that party

Democrats should pay up and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Again, I don't owe the descendants of black slave ANYTHING. And it was Chinese immigrant men who built and died for the construction of the Trans Continental Railroad. And we had to deal with the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. And women were late in being allowed to vote in the US.

However, despite what my ancestors in America and past American women had to deal with... the Chinese community and the female community in the US are two high functioning groups of people. So what is the excuse for blacks????

And all the money in the world can't fix the problems in the black community... that is really all up to them. The ghetto culture is a broken dysfunctional one, yet the black community stubbornly embraces it and treats it as precious and a symbol of rebelling against the "man".

And btw, I see that the quote for the congresswoman is that the reparations would be to "repair some of the damage" caused by slavery... which means that more demands will follow.

Anyway, I am so glad not to be a member of a group that loves its victimhood so much. I'd be very embarrassed and ashamed to be connected to it.
Again, it is superfluous to mention what you personally owe in regards to any debt of the nation. It shows your lack of intelligence and or honesty in this discussion. It is akin to child not wanting to do chores around the house based upon not having made the mess. As a member of the household, you have to do general chores whether you made the mess or not, if you want to live in the household and get the benefit of a roof over your head and food to eat that also was not the product of the child’s doing. Taxes are the same way. You live in this country and have to pay for the debts of this country regardless if you made the debt or not. You enjoy the freedoms of this country without having personally sacrificed to get them. They are the result of others blood, sweat and tears.

You are not likely the descendants of the Chinese brought to America. Likely less than 5% of the Chinese in America today have any blood connection to those Chines brought to work the railroads. Hence, there is no way to know how well that segment of the Asian or Chinese population in the US is doing. They have likely been breed out, meaning having mixed so much with whites through mesegination that they are mostly white now.

As far as women go, again, its not the same. The issue is the FAMILY. White men oppresssing white women did not oppress the white family because the white male was the head of the household and provided for the women and children. White women could produce the oppressor and since inherit benefits from their male children who had all the privilege and rank in society. The oppression of black people was the oppression of the FAMILY UNIT, man, women and children. It deprived the male of the ability to be a good provider, which transferred to the women and the children and helped to weaken the black family unit.

The reason other groups are doing better than blacks is because they did not go what blacks went through in this country. Had they....then they would be in the same boat we are in.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:45 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Don’t you love this annual give me something for nothing thread. If anything, it’s good for a laugh.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
BTW the world and America was a much different place 400 years ago. And in the tens of thousands of years of humans being on this planet, during the majority of that time, humans were in tribes and larger groups defined by a common language, religion or culture. And between these groups of people, the stronger ones always dominated and took advantage of the weaker groups for the better drinking water,, hunting grounds and living areas. And especially in the last hundred years, between having two World Wars, faster world travel by boat and air, and the technologies of photography, telephone and now the internet... the world has finally become totally connected and global.

That said, you can't judge the America of 400 years ago by the standards of today. Or judge the America of 100 years ago by today's yardstick. Our country is still evolving. And 400 years ago, those African slaves were coming in from a continent where their indigenous people were still living in the Stone Age. And looking at the National Geographic magazines from the 1970's and even later, the pages were splashed with the photographs of the tribal people in their grass skirts and mud huts. They didn't even have a written language. So it was natural for Europeans and Americans back in the slave times to consider Africans a lesser evolved human. They just didn't know any better.

And why should America be judged more harshly than any other country in the world? Even Canada put their Japanese immigrants into internment camps during WWII. Even Canada mistreated their indigenous peoples. As did the Australians. And the Brazil and other parts of Central America don't treat their indigenous people well and take their rain forests away from them for timber and farmlands.

But if the whole planet got involved in making reparations for past wrongs... well it would be an unattainable mess and all people and countries involved in a quagmire of frustration.

Every race, culture, religion and country has been bullied and wrongs done to that group. And the people who succeed, don't let the past bring them down and instead keep moving forward. A great example is the Jewish people. They had to deal with the Egyptians, anti-Semitism, and Nazi Germany... yet they kept moving forward and they are a very successful group. And I really like their Passover dinners every year where they gather with family and close friends to remember how their people escaped the Egyptians. So they never forget their past, but they don't let the past keep them victims.

Ancestors of black slaves should have an annual dinner where they have their own version of the Jewish Passover.

Also, I feel sad for black people who love their rap culture so much and treat it like its something precious to preserve. Meanwhile, they seem to forget other much greater music genres that they created like the Blues, Jazz and Motown. Meanwhile, it's a bunch of old white guy musicians who love and play that music and keep it alive.
In regards to survival of the fittest, what role does "badness" play in regards to fitness? Mike Tyson, in his prime, would pulverize me in a strait up fight. However, if Mike Tyson was just minding his own business walking down the street, where as I had, unbeknownst to mike, was plotting to sneak up on him, knock him over the head, then hold him captive.....does that make me "superior" to Mike for being able to subdue him like that?

There is an old saying that "nice guys finish last". If one correlates niceness to "good" and meanness to "evil", then evil is a form of fitness. How about that? In regards to the state of Africans 400 years ago, the only metric in biology is reproduction and the continuation of the blood lines. People have been surviving and reproducing in Africa longer than any other place on this planet. That is the ONLY purpose of life, is propagation. That is the biological prime directive after survival. Africans today have among the highest fertility rates on the planet. We look at our women too long....and they get pregnant. Many other races are struggling to conceive, have low sperm counts and need fertility treatment to have kids. Black people also have the greatest genetic diversity of all the races. Thus, whatever the extreme, we likely have those genes for it, good or bad.

Who is superior, a sprinter or a marathon runner? Your answer probably depends on having information about the finish line, like where it is relative to where the runners are. The sprinter goes all out maximizing energy output, which can only be sustained for a very short period of time. The marathon runner takes a very slow pace, seeking to conserve energy for a long run. Who wins the race? Again, it depends on where the finish line is. Ergo, comparing populations/civilizations that are on economic and technical sprints vs civilizations that are on a much slower pace is meaningless unless one knows where the finish line is. You might be way ahead at a point in time, but then your energy consumption burns out the planet, creates global warming, depletes fossil fuels, erodes topsoil and nutrition density of food, etc. Look at all the great civilizations and empires of the past. Where are they NOW? They sprinted, burnt out, then fell behind.

I am pretty sure that if the world, as we know it, ends at the hands of humans, it will not be the results of black peoples doing. Left alone, black people would outlast any other race of people on the planet. White people would burn out the planet or blow it up in their sprint of gluttony and domination. Progress is simply the interim period between getting the benefits of something before having to pay the cost. Take the US economy for example. We are getting the present day benefit of an economy and standard of living supported by DEBT. Debt is a claim against FUTURE earnings. Our economy would collapse today if we had to reconcile the debt. It's all a big ponzi scheme.

Necessity is the mother of invention. African did not need to invent and do all the things that people in other parts of the world did.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-05-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Don’t you love this annual give me something for nothing thread. If anything, it’s good for a laugh.
Yeah, give them more money. Like throwing gas on a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies