Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 02:43 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times

Advertisements

reparations would set back race relations 100 years...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 02:50 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
You seem to think that white people have had wealth for generations and must have passed it on to future generations and that is just not true. I inherited nothing nor did my parents, my grandparents or my great-grandparents. There was no generational wealth in my family as was the case for most white people. We were oppressed and discriminated against just for being poor. There was no "handouts" to buy Google stocks or anything else for that matter. Like I said before, you have no clue what you are talking about.
You choosing not to use the resources given to you is not the same as Black people banned from using those resources.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Not in perpetuity, but long enough to close the gap on wealth & net worth. We have to remember that beneficiaries of the govt programs in the past used decades of generational wealth & opportunity to springboard ahead of Black America. That doesn't get rectified over night. I imagine best case it would take 30-40 years to see the correction pay out in real life bc that's how long until we would start seeing equity being tapped in meaningful ways.
So what if we do all of that i.e. no interest student loans and mortgages for the next 40 years and there is little improvement, then what? White people would continue to get the blame for blacks lack of wealth?

Blacks have had opportunities for free college for years through Pell grants and scholarships but how many actually take advantage of these opportunities? Billions of dollars in Pell grant money goes unused every year so why don't black kids apply for it and use this FREE money for college. This is the stuff I don't understand. There ARE opportunities out there for minorities but minorities don't go after them so what makes you think they'll take advantage of no interest student loans they'll have to pay back when they aren't using opportunities that are free to them?

Old 02-22-2021, 02:51 PM

10,100 posts, read 1,022,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phases2021 View Post
None of those things are exclusive to black people for a specific justice claim. Affirmative Action benefits white women, LGBT, Latinos, Asians, etc. Free lunch, low income housing, free healthcare and other entitlement programs benefit poor white people in Appalachia just as much as impoverished black people in inner cities.

"Reparations will be a disaster/total waste of time and money" - what are you basing that on, your opinion?

America has paid reparations to Native Americans and people of Japan descent who were imprisoned in internment camps during WWII, so it's not like it would be without precedent.
Japanese =Reparations were paid to survivors of internment (about 82,000).There were records kept -deserving people were paid.
Native Americans =Reparations were paid in cash, land or tribal recognition. There were instances where the people declined these payments.

Reparations for people who ancestors were slaves 300 years ago - logistically, how would that be possible to carry out - that's why it would be a waste of time and money.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:53 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Give me a break

Old 02-22-2021, 02:54 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Japanese =Reparations were paid to survivors of internment (about 82,000).There were records kept -deserving people were paid.
Native Americans =Reparations were paid in cash, land or tribal recognition. There were instances where the people declined these payments.

Reparations for people who ancestors were slaves 300 years ago - logistically, how would that be possible to carry out - that's why it would be a waste of time and money.
You people act like there wasn’t Jim Crow. Other nations didn’t perpetuate wickedness after slavery in the way the U.S. did.

Most Native Americans didn’t decline anything and the U.S. knew how to give cash and land with them.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:54 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Not the same wealth as in $, but a similar footing. What's the share of homeowners >50% equity in the general population vs Black America? 80%? What percentage are homeowners? College grads? There's multiple criteria we could use to weigh the success of reparations and decide when it's successfully run its course.
Nope, those metrics wouldn’t work, either, and for the same reason: the high out-of-wedlock birthrate is highly correlated with poverty, and if black teens are having babies during high school at a rate far higher than their white counterparts, naturally that would show up in a lower college graduation rate, which in turn would show up in a lower home ownership rate.

If we correct for that, comparing the rates of homeownership among blacks who did not have babies before they got married to the rate of whites who did not have babies before marriage, then there might be something to it. In fact, you could almost use it as a reward type thing: blacks who did not have babies before the age of 25, and before marriage, get a $10,000 downpayment for a house at the age of 30 if they have no criminal record.*

How’s THAT for positive reinforcement?

*This of course would only be for blacks who descended from slaves.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You choosing not to use the resources given to you is not the same as Black people banned from using those resources.
He said he was poor and there were no resources. You think poor white children in Appalachia have the same access to a library that poor black children in the Bronx have?

Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
So what if we do all of that i.e. no interest student loans and mortgages for the next 40 years and there is little improvement, then what? White people would continue to get the blame for blacks lack of wealth?

Blacks have had opportunities for free college for years through Pell grants and scholarships but how many actually take advantage of these opportunities? Billions of dollars in Pell grant money goes unused every year so why don't black kids apply for it and use this FREE money for college. This is the stuff I don't understand. There ARE opportunities out there for minorities but minorities don't go after them so what makes you think they'll take advantage of no interest student loans they'll have to pay back when they aren't using opportunities that are free to them?
Get this: at the local community college, the poor students are whining that the college should be FREE, period, because they don’t want to have to fill out the paperwork for the Pell Grants. And many end up dropping out for that reason: can’t afford the tuition without the grant but don’t want the hassle of completing a form.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:00 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Who decides who gets "reparations" and who pays?
No one related to me was in this country during slavery.
Will Kamala Harris get "reparations?"
The only connection her family had with slavery was owning slaves.
How will they determine who is actually a descendent of slaves?
Is it time to invest in Ancestry.com?
Dumb questions.

There are immigration records to determine who was here during slavery/Jim Crow and who was not.

No one in my family was here during slavery OR JIM CROW. I would still have to contribute as a taxpayer AND I am of African descent.

But I don’t complain as much as you longer-standing Americans. Goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies