Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 09:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
So you agree how absurd it is to give 42 million black Americans, who have never been slaves, $20K. Good.
yes, I do agree it's absurd as I never suggested anything like that.

The original question was, essentially "who had been paid reparations before" - there was no "what group that was 42MM strong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:21 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
IDK, was it called race hustling when Africa sold their people? or was that just a "business decision"?
Funny how they forget they were captured and sold by their own

Old 02-22-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm not here to draft up the absolute details of legislation. The general framework of how it should be approached & why are good enough for a message board.

As far as who gets the benefit, there weren't exemptions for the discrimination, so there shouldn't be exemptions for the reparations. The govt can either buy mortgages from lenders or pay the interest, while homeowners pay 100% towards principal and watch their equity jump.
Well, I'm not saying specifics like "earn less than 150% of median income". I'm asking, for example, does Oprah Winfrey get an interest free mortgage? Can she do this with a house she's owned 10 years? A house that costs her $3MM? Do we give Bob Johnson's grandkids free tuition to any college they want for however many years they want?

I'm not sure when it is that white people got free college education - I guess your saying the general State U goal of making in-state tuition free, which hasn't been true, but before 1965 Blacks weren't allowed?

he problem is trying to get government involved in programs. Maybe we should just say "all direct descendants of slaves split up $50K/slave". Clean, neat, gets it done.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Dumb questions.

There are immigration records to determine who was here during slavery/Jim Crow and who was not.

No one in my family was here during slavery OR JIM CROW. I would still have to contribute as a taxpayer AND I am of African descent.

But I don’t complain as much as you longer-standing Americans. Goodness.
for a lot of people, they are being accused or feel accused of enslaving and discriminating against Blacks.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Neither you nor your family would've been denied GI benefits if you enlisted.

Neither you or your family would've been banned from subsidized loans if you were trying to buy property.

Neither you or your family were banned from living in certain neighborhoods, with good schools.

Those are the resources you had access to, even if you didn't manage to secure it (regardless if that was due to financials or will). That's completely different than the plight of Black people who couldn't have enjoyed those resources, even if they had the money for it. You comparing your family's situation to what Black people had to endure is nonsense bc your troubles were self-inflicted

What you're talking about is like someone sitting on a gold mine without a shovel claiming they're in the same boat as the guy who's not even allowed on the mine. That guy has access to the gold, even if he doesn't have the tools. The other guy can't touch the gold, even if he had all the tools in the world.
How long has it been since black folks have had access to those same resources and why haven't they used them? You'd think if they felt SOOOO OPPRESSED they'd have jumped on them and many other resources they have access too. Not being "banned" from something doesn't mean it's attainable. So poverty is now "self-inflicted"? Good grief you are so out of touch it's unbelievable.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yes, I do agree it's absurd as I never suggested anything like that.

The original question was, essentially "who had been paid reparations before" - there was no "what group that was 42MM strong".
Not it wasn't. You're welcome to re-read the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What group of 44 million Americans ever received reparations? You think Congress would pass this? Congress can't even pass 10K student loan forgiveness and $15 min wage hikes.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:11 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Not in perpetuity, but long enough to close the gap on wealth & net worth.
That would be never.

Handouts and special treatment don't close wealth and net worth gaps, only education, assimilation, parenting, and self-reliance can do that.

Black scholar, Carter Woodson:
Quote:
"If the Negro in the ghetto must eternally be fed by the hand that pushes him into the ghetto, he will never become strong enough to get out of the ghetto."

Old 02-23-2021, 07:34 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
for a lot of people, they are being accused or feel accused of enslaving and discriminating against Blacks.
Sometimes people make things all about them when it isn’t necessarily that...

Old 02-23-2021, 07:40 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Sometimes people make things all about them when it isn’t necessarily that...
sums up reparations very well................

Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
sums up reparations very well................
If that’s that case, most of you should be arguing against American holidays and confederate statues etc. That’s a slippery slope that you don’t want to go down. But I’ll gladly walk down it with you because American history has nothing to do with me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies