Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times

Advertisements

Why do so many 'progressive liberals' post political memes and rants on social media and then become excessively and unjustifiably offended and frustrated when someone dares to disagree with whatever idea or narrative they are trying to put forward?

I am politically center-right, but I hold some views that might be considered idiosyncratic. I choose not to use social media to advertise my political opinions because I view it as unproductive. However, when I see certain friends and family members share things of interest, I will sometimes respond.

Since the 2016 election, conversations with people on the center-left seem to have reached an unsettling level of irrationality. For all of the talk about right-wing disinformation (which no doubt exists), in my world, I have seen exponentially more 'fake news' from my left-of-center friends than any of my people on the right. I regularly encounter memes that are indisputably factually incorrect or completely fabricated.

I read too many rants indicative of psychological distress over politics. For example, 'progressive' women who seem to think that we are living in The Handmaid's Tale. I also encounter far too many opinionated people who are ill-informed. Strikingly, these are often the people who seem to be the most distressed. You don't have to know everything, no one can, and you certainly don't have to possess an opinion on everything.

The Kavanaugh hearings have exposed the widespread delirium that has been engulfing the left. It is unbelievable that so many people could be "[whipped] into a frenzy," to quote Senator Susan Collins, in response to totally unsubstantiated allegations. Do some of you outraged individuals realize that after numerous FBI investigations, and the specific inquiry into Blasey Ford's allegations, that there is no evidence that what she claims ever happened — at all? Falsehoods about Kavanaugh and his supporters continue to circulate on social media. A friend of mine distressed about Kavanaugh went to social media to ask a series of questions (perhaps rhetorical, in hindsight) that demonstrated that she did not know why it required only 50 votes to confirm now-Justice Kavanaugh or why he was nominated. She also remarked that Supreme Court justices are supposed to be 'bipartisan.' Of course, it is a non-partisan position. Well, when several people responded to her with answers to her questions, defending Kavanaugh, her mother decided to respond by calling all of us 'self-validating WASP ethical idiots.' Are you serious?

Other rubbish recently encountered on social media has included immigration memes, one recently stating 'If you are an American, your heritage is either Native American, slave, refugee, or immigrant.' Of course, these sorts of statements are popular among the left and many of those who favor loose controls on immigration. They contribute to the politically-motivated mythology of 'A Nation of Immigrants,' which of course the well-read understand that is about as accurate as it being 'A Nation of Coca-Cola.' When I point out the fact that almost none of the colonial settlers meet the definition of 'refugee' or 'immigrant,' an indisputable fact, and people to whom tens of millions of Americans solely trace their lineage to, I am responded to with denial and anger. What is the issue? You do not have your facts right. Hamilton: An American Musical is historical fiction, not a textbook history. I hate to break it to you, but Alexander Hamilton was not an immigrant. That false narrative is part of Lin-Manuel Miranda's political agenda, ironic from someone of Puerto Rican descent, a people who often go to great lengths to correct perceptions that they are not Americans. Alexander Hamilton was born a British subject like all of the other Founding Fathers. By my count, 9 of the Founding Fathers were born outside of the Thirteen Colonies. So while Hamilton might have been regarded as an upstart outsider, no one would have recognized him as an 'immigrant.'

What is wrong with being wrong sometimes? Why so angry and emotional? Why are the stakes raised so high for you? Why am I 'evil' or 'immoral' because we have a different opinion or perspective? Then they have the audacity to say that you are attacking them personally!

That's not even the least of it. The people of our country need help.

POLITICO: Trump May Not Be Crazy, But the Rest of Us Are Getting There Fast;
Psychologists’ couches are filling up as Americans seek relief from Trump Anxiety Disorder.

I'm not surprised that one of the psychologists quoted is from the People's Republic of Evanston, Illinois, my beloved, but increasingly nutty, hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
They have no self control preferring to blame their actions on some external force. Shows how weak minded they are.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:23 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Why do so many 'progressive liberals' post political memes and rants on social media and then become excessively and unjustifiably offended and frustrated when someone dares to disagree with whatever idea or narrative they are trying to put forward?

I am politically center-right, but I hold some views that might be considered idiosyncratic. I choose not to use social media to advertise my political opinions because I view it as unproductive. However, when I see certain friends and family members share things of interest, I will sometimes respond.

Since the 2016 election, conversations with people on the center-left seem to have reached an unsettling level of irrationality. For all of the talk about right-wing disinformation (which no doubt exists), in my world, I have seen exponentially more 'fake news' from my left-of-center friends than any of my people on the right. I regularly encounter memes that are indisputably factually incorrect or completely fabricated.

I read too many rants indicative of psychological distress over politics. For example, 'progressive' women who seem to think that we are living in The Handmaid's Tale. I also encounter far too many opinionated people who are ill-informed. Strikingly, these are often the people who seem to be the most distressed. You don't have to know everything, no one can, and you certainly don't have to possess an opinion on everything.

The Kavanaugh hearings have exposed the widespread delirium that has been engulfing the left. It is unbelievable that so many people could be "[whipped] into a frenzy," to quote Senator Susan Collins, in response to totally unsubstantiated allegations. Do some of you outraged individuals realize that after numerous FBI investigations, and the specific inquiry into Blasey Ford's allegations, that there is no evidence that what she claims ever happened — at all? Falsehoods about Kavanaugh and his supporters continue to circulate on social media. A friend of mine distressed about Kavanaugh went to social media to ask a series of questions (perhaps rhetorical, in hindsight) that demonstrated that she did not know why it required only 50 votes to confirm now-Justice Kavanaugh or why he was nominated. She also remarked that Supreme Court justices are supposed to be 'bipartisan.' Of course, it is a non-partisan position. Well, when several people responded to her with answers to her questions, defending Kavanaugh, her mother decided to respond by calling all of us 'self-validating WASP ethical idiots.' Are you serious?

Other rubbish recently encountered on social media has included immigration memes, one recently stating 'If you are an American, your heritage is either Native American, slave, refugee, or immigrant.' Of course, these sorts of statements are popular among the left and many of those who favor loose controls on immigration. They contribute to the politically-motivated mythology of 'A Nation of Immigrants,' which of course the well-read understand that is about as accurate as it being 'A Nation of Coca-Cola.' When I point out the fact that almost none of the colonial settlers meet the definition of 'refugee' or 'immigrant,' an indisputable fact, and people to whom tens of millions of Americans solely trace their lineage to, I am responded to with denial and anger. What is the issue? You do not have your facts right. Hamilton: An American Musical is historical fiction, not a textbook history. I hate to break it to you, but Alexander Hamilton was not an immigrant. That false narrative is part of Lin-Manuel Miranda's political agenda, ironic from someone of Puerto Rican descent, a people who often go to great lengths to correct perceptions that they are not Americans. Alexander Hamilton was born a British subject like all of the other Founding Fathers. By my count, 9 of the Founding Fathers were born outside of the Thirteen Colonies. So while Hamilton might have been regarded as an upstart outsider, no one would have recognized him as an 'immigrant.'

What is wrong with being wrong sometimes? Why so angry and emotional? Why are the stakes raised so high for you? Why am I 'evil' or 'immoral' because we have a different opinion or perspective? Then they have the audacity to say that you are attacking them personally!

Psychologists’ couches are filling up as Americans seek relief from Trump Anxiety Disorder.

I'm not surprised that one of the psychologists quoted is from the People's Republic of Evanston, Illinois, my beloved, but increasingly nutty, hometown.
Did you take psychology, critical thinking, and philosophy classes? That is, this awesome post blends those issues together.

Last edited by Eumaois; 10-19-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They have no self control preferring to blame their actions on some external force. Shows how weak minded they are.
Say that to those who got offended over the sex doll brothel, oh I forgot it was those Christian fundamentalists

Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
You have to be a hypocrite to be a liberal. It just doesn’t work without the hypocrisy.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Say that to those who got offended over the sex doll brothel, oh I forgot it was those Christian fundamentalists
Most Feminist feel the same way, so there is cross over on many issues. Most Muslims in this country are anti-Abortionists and have more in common with Christian fundamentalist than Secular Atheist, and they are mostly Democrats

Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:

Is this a scientific meme study?

In my world - it's the conservatives who go INSANE if anyone posts anything anti-Trump on FB. You know, the same ones that had an Obama meme for very occasion.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Most Feminist feel the same way, so there is cross over on many issues. Most Muslims in this country are anti-Abortionists and have more in common with Christian fundamentalist than Secular Atheist, and they are mostly Democrats
They don't buy into ideology for Christ Sake's like you all most think

Hell, black people aren't that political either, in fact I could even point black democrats are way more socially conservative than what the general public seems to think

Want me to post a poll?

Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You have to be a hypocrite to be a liberal. It just doesn’t work without the hypocrisy.
Right, not like conservatives are hypocrites either

Most of you even shame the MGTOW crowd for voiding out of marriage and relationships, just shows you are the opposite side of the same coin

Partisanship is a cancer, more at 11

Old 10-19-2018, 12:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:

I think people saying that white people living in the North America are immigrants mean that they don't trace their lineage in NA back thousands of years. But you probably knew that.

Regardless the whole "who was here first" thing is silly...like the native Hawaiians whose own history reports them actually coming from Polynesia and killing off the true natives...so a few thousand years trumps a few hundred years in terms of native legitimacy? The discussion is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies