Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Gleen Greenwald right in his assessment of 'fake news?'
liberal: yes. 2 9.09%
liberal: no. 1 4.55%
conservative: yes. 10 45.45%
onservative: no. 1 4.55%
independent: yes. 8 36.36%
independent: no. 0 0%
other (please explain below) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:53 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times

Advertisements

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/02/...alling/?menu=1

Greenwald recounts a blockbuster story from The Guardian about Trump/Russia collusion from about 5 weeks ago. In the interim, the story has fallen apart, and "The Guardian’s typically public and outspoken editor-in-chief Kath Viner has all but disappeared since the story was published on November 27."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Greenwald
None of this is an aberration. Quite the contrary, it has become par for the Trump-Russia course. One major story after the next falls apart, and there is no accountability, reckoning, or transparency...

The U.S media has become very adept at outrage rituals whenever they are denounced as “fake news.” They should spend some time trying to become as skilled in figuring out why such attacks resonate for so many.(emphasis mine)
I posted this in another thread, but either I'm on the ignore list of virtually every liberal CD poster, or they are all just afraid to respond. Is the very progressive Greenwald wrong about this, and if so which of his facts are off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

Greenwald recounts a blockbuster story from The Guardian about Trump/Russia collusion from about 5 weeks ago. In the interim, the story has fallen apart, and "The Guardian’s typically public and outspoken editor-in-chief Kath Viner has all but disappeared since the story was published on November 27."

I posted this in another thread, but either I'm on the ignore list of virtually every liberal CD poster, or they are all just afraid to respond. Is the very progressive Greenwald wrong about this, and if so which of his facts are off?

He's very biased if he doesn't give at least equal attention to the fake news disseminated by the White House virtually every day,

Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He's very biased if he doesn't give at least equal attention to the fake news disseminated by the White House virtually every day,
I think Greenwald's take is that the Trump misinformation is being well-covered by others, but the media angle is obviously not.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Greenwald is an actual liberal, not a corporate NeoLiberal, like those who follow Hillary, Obama, Kerry, Biden, et al.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:32 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:

He has held Trump accountable many times. This column isn't about that. It's called objective journalism. It may seem foreign to you, but it was once the norm.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:36 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
He has held Trump accountable many times. This column isn't about that. It's called objective journalism. It may seem foreign to you, but it was once the norm.

I'm old enough to remember when it was but that was quite a while ago.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We need more people start thinking this way then doing something about it. The only good thing about fake news is that it got so bad it pushed me to cut the cord and cancel my cable. For years I was keeping it only because I thought it was the best way to stay informed. Silly me. Now I'm not only saving $130 a month, I'm also not filling my head with garbage.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM

I was hoping to get more replies, especially from fellow liberal CD posters, but anyway Greenwald wins 8-2. That's a good win by any measure.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
This, from the article,
In lieu of addressing the increasingly embarrassing scandal, The Guardian’s top editors and reporters on this story have practically gone into hiding, ignoring all requests for comment and referring journalists to a corporate PR official who provides a statement that is as vague and bureaucratic as it is non-responsive. It’s easier to get a substantive comment from the National Security Agency than from The Guardian on this story.

Tells us all we need to know.

Make it 9

Quote:
I'm old enough to remember when it was but that was quite a while ago.
Me too and I agree.
The press has a lower approval rating than Congress. THAT is a very low bar indeed.

Last edited by Originalist; 01-07-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 02:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

I've followed Glenn Greenwald for a very long time. Yes, he is definitely more to the left, but I have found that he has been one of the most fair article writers that I've ever come across. I don't always like what he has to say, but I have found no one more fair on any given topic than he is.

And he's not the only person who isn't a supporter of Trump who has said the exact same thing. Granted, Bill Maher is a comedian, but even he has said the same thing - to an audience shocked into silence at the admission. Yes, Glenn is correct, and so are many others who have also called the media out for their lies.

Journalists need to get the facts, not rely on heresay, or rely on an article written by another paper - which a lot of them do. Have you ever noticed that? Something shows up in one paper (like Reuters, for example), and every single paper has the exact same story, word for word. Not a one of them even tried to write the story in their own way. That's journalism? What a cushy job. Let me be a journalist if all it takes is copy/pasting a story from another source. A lot of them copy Reuters. Reuters is not the holy beacon of news stories because they have been caught in the past making things up, as well....long before Trump ever came onto the political scene.

If someone is going to call themselves a "journalist", they need to actually get out there and find the facts, not rely on the work of other people and put their name to it. Too many of them do that now, and they get caught when it comes out that none of them verified anything. You can't be a "journalist" if you're going to post everything that confirms your bias. You're supposed to leave your bias at the door. It's news, not opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We need more people start thinking this way then doing something about it. The only good thing about fake news is that it got so bad it pushed me to cut the cord and cancel my cable. For years I was keeping it only because I thought it was the best way to stay informed. Silly me. Now I'm not only saving $130 a month, I'm also not filling my head with garbage.
Welcome to the club. I did that in 2014. Never been happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies