Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Because of Chris Wallace, a guy who only holds that job because of his dad? Nah.

He averages about 335,000 viewers in the 25-54 demo. Worst of the 4 Sunday TeeVee punditry shows.

He's hurting for ratings. Chuck Todd is kicking his ass, and that has to hurt, badly.
I am so happy I gave up Chris Wallace for 2019 - ok, forever! arrogant you know what. Buh bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No it won't. There are already fences and walls along the border. Just because Trump is determined to get the "wall" for his supporters and because that was a campaign promise, doesn't mean it is practical. This is a good article regarding the wall and why it is not a logical means of deterrence. Why aren't supporters holding him accountable about Mexico paying for the wall? And no, the new trade deals aren't making that a reality.

I do wish people would do their research instead of listening to Trump's lies every single time he opens his mouth.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...wall-wont-work

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...all-despite-d/

And I wish people would listen to those on the front line down at our border. As I have repeatedly said, we lease 18,000 acres 3 miles north of the Mexican border, and are dealing with illegal immigration on a daily basis. Furthermore, BP are begging for a barrier to help them address the issue.

Additionally, in my prior life, I was a Locomotive Engineer and ran trains out of San Antonio to Laredo, Eagle Pass, and Del Rio. We regularly dealt with illegals on the trains. When I first started, most were coming for seasonal work or to get medical care. Later, I couldn't even walk my engines alone b/c of the presence of gang members riding in the trailing units. BP insisted on accompanying me because it was so dangerous.

So, I'll take the word of those actually dealing with this mess daily over those that study it from afar. No comparison. After I retired from the railroad, I went to college and earned a BS in Applied Sociology, and two Masters degrees. My professors were good people that really were interested in in people, but although they studied certain groups, they never really immersed themselves into them. They couldn't. One professor wrote a peer reviewed paper about the lives of waitresses. She took a sabbatical and worked as a waitress for 8 months, then wrote the paper. 8 months is not enough time to understand all the nuances of waitressing.

The same applies to BP and people in D.C. that haven't been down here yet want to dictate border security to those that actually live it ever day.

Last edited by Arabianhorsebreeder; 01-06-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They need to address the violence in Central America, anything else is a bandaid. The wall is an overly simplistic solution to what is an extremely complicated problem. This is like putting in a better pump in your basement when the roof is leaking.

The U.S. has been sending $$$ there for many years, but it never reaches the people.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Link? Thanks.
the figure she seems to be citing is based on 2017 data, not 2018, and refers to stops made by Department of Homeland Security across the globe, mainly at airports.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...uthern-n954796

Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
the figure she seems to be citing is based on 2017 data, not 2018, and refers to stops made by Department of Homeland Security across the globe, mainly at airports.
I laughed as I watched her response to Chris Wallace pointing this out: "They're coming by land, sea, and air". Katy, bar the door.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post

Thanks for the link. The numbers are all over the place which proves no one has any idea how many that cross illegally may be terrorists. And with 40,000 to 50,000 attempting to cross every month, we won't know until a wall is built.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link. The numbers are all over the place which proves no one has any idea how many that cross illegally may be terrorists. And with 40,000 to 50,000 attempting to cross every month, we won't know until a wall is built.
40 to 50k attempting to illegally cross every month?

Maybe stopped at the Port of Entry, which is hardly a crisis. That’s their jobs..

Old 01-06-2019, 07:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Good for him. Sanders, Conway, and everyone else in his administration should be ashamed to lie every day to the American public. But we need to call them who they are, liars.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
40 to 50k attempting to illegally cross every month?

Where are you getting that number from?

There are multiple sources, here is one:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ed-may-n880686

U.S. Border Patrol agents arrested around 2,000 more immigrants crossing the border between official points of entry in May compared to April, up from 38,234 to about 40,400, according U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics.
Overall, including immigrants who turned themselves in at ports of entry, more than 50,000 immigrants tried to enter the U.S. by land over the U.S.-Mexico border last month — the third straight month to surpass 50,000.
Unaccompanied children crossing illegally increased from 4,302 in April to 6,405 in May, while the number of parents traveling with children decreased slightly.
A spokesperson for DHS, Tyler Q. Houlton, said the numbers show "that while the Trump administration is restoring the rule of law ... no one expects to reverse years of political action overnight or in a month. ... Smugglers, human traffickers, and nefarious actors know our loopholes well and accordingly exploit them."

Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Okay, then here's a question that should be easy to answer: Of all the terrorist attacks that have taken place on U.S. soil going back to, say, 9/11, how many have been connected to terrorists that entered the U.S. through the border with Mexico? I did a google search and couldn't come with a single one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies