Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want the wall?
Yes, I want the wall 86 48.59%
No, I do not want the wall 86 48.59%
I could care less 5 2.82%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:00 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Having a wall certainly won't hurt any.
Except for the tremendous cost that will go into construction and then other untold millions for maintaining the monstrosity. The people who seriously want to cross will find a way in twenty minutes or find another way around the wall.

The only way to keep people from coming is to improve conditions where the live so it's easier to stay put than risk the journey only to be sent back. Spending $5 billion on the wall is like flushing it down the toilet...unless you are a Trump crony making big bucks building it.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:06 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmntc10 View Post
the gop had complete power for 2 years and couldnt get the wall, so why would it happen now?

the gop doesnt even want the wall

Trump and his supporters do. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated that a president can't get a funding bill passed without some support from the opposite party and there are many sell out Republicans in congress that won't support anything Trump wants. Then there's that little filibuster proof thingy that we don't have. I'm surprised that there are so many clueless people who don't know how congress works.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Who will support all theose aliens when the last tax payer leaves the U.S.? Our beautiful country is becoming more of a third world dump everyday, so the cost of a wall does not compare to the cost of those who want our tax benefits.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
I don't think the wall would make much of a difference practically speaking. They will use ropes to go over it and tunnels to go under it. Also let's not forget that around half of illegal immigrants enter perfectly legally and then just "forget" to come back. A good amount of drugs too enters through official ports of entry disguised in trunks, ship containers etc.

The wall thing, in my opinion, is a mythical symbol of nationalism. It's kind of like a religious symbol for those who want America to remain mostly White and Christian and to only speak English. So the fight over it is like the fight over that Ten Commandments display a while back - it is really not a meaningful policy disagreement.

As for how to decrease illegal immigration, I think it helps to think of the problem in terms of a motivation assymetry. In the South you have people who will get chopped into pieces if they come back. Many already had their loved ones chopped into pieces right before their eyes. Up North, the border guard's motivation is a mediocre pay check for a job that basically sucks. A pay check that won't come if politicians in DC squabble for too long. See the problem here: being chopped into pieces vs a mediocre pay check, which do you think will win?

Alas, I see no other way to fight illegal immigration but for us to get more involved in Central America so that people don't get chopped into pieces as much. It is our backyard and it's relatively small. We are not like Europe with its Middle East and Africa.

Nope, the good walls are nearly impenetrable and I have posted many links proving it. In some areas they have cut back illegal immigration by 90%. That's not good enough? Even those on the front lines say the are very effective and that we need them.

Oh so you felt the need to pull the race card now? Are you not aware that a wall will protect all Americans regardless of the race or religion or what language they speak?

Most of these illegals and asylum seekers are not fleeing physical harm either. They just want to come here for economic opportunity on the backs of the U.S. taxpayer/worker. Sorry, but we can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Is Mexico pays for it I’m ok with it. ��

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, the good walls are nearly impenetrable and I have posted many links proving it. In some areas they have cut back illegal immigration by 90%. That's not good enough? Even those on the front lines say the are very effective and that we need them.

Oh so you felt the need to pull the race card now? Are you not aware that a wall will protect all Americans regardless of the race or religion or what language they speak?

Most of these illegals and asylum seekers are not fleeing physical harm either. They just want to come here for economic opportunity on the backs of the U.S. taxpayer/worker. Sorry, but we can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world.
Good wall, what does that entail? Land mines? Spikes? Gun Towers?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Except for the tremendous cost that will go into construction and then other untold millions for maintaining the monstrosity. The people who seriously want to cross will find a way in twenty minutes or find another way around the wall.

The only way to keep people from coming is to improve conditions where the live so it's easier to stay put than risk the journey only to be sent back. Spending $5 billion on the wall is like flushing it down the toilet...unless you are a Trump crony making big bucks building it.

Wrong again! I have posted several links proving that the good walls do work. So fewer will try and fewer will succeed. Did you tell congress back in 2006 that the wall was an expensive monstrosity? Thought not! Stop repeating your same old sh*t in here over and over like a parrot.

We already send billions to other countries to help their citizens but it hasn't done any good. Spending $5 billion now and another $20 billion to complete the wall is not flushing money down the toilet. We are already flushing over $100 billion a year down the toilet supporting illegal aliens. Do the math!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Another weekly poll on the wall?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:22 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
It seems this poll is either for or against. I’m in the camp of, you can build the wall after you’ve done all of the other things: everify, fine employers, crack down on visa overstays. After you have done all of that, then we can talk about shoring up the wall.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
The wall is a stupid idea. It will be insanely expensive, and the eminent domain issues will take years to resolve. Ranchers who live near the border would be deprived access to the Rio Grande if a wall is built.

People will inevitably get over the wall or under it, or just come in legally and overstay their visas.

I think the best way to enforce security at the border is with drones that have FLIR. The drones can track the people hopping the border, and then border patrol can meet up with them at some point to arrest them. This would mean more jobs for people as border patrol agents.

Just because someone is against the wall, doesn’t mean they are against strong border patrol enforcement.
See my last post. You're just another parrot in here. Those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with the illegal trespassers, criminals and drug mules who will funnel right through their properties then. They'll be crying for a wall no time.

We tried drones and other high tech stuff years ago and ended up scrapping it because they didn't work. The only thing that works are good border barriers according to the stats I have provided and the Border Patrol themselves. Do you know better than them? They say they need the good barriers to help them do their jobs more effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies