Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

I know this will never happen. Would you support a change so that if there’s another government shut down the first to loose their pay include the President, members of Congress, US Supreme Court, and the heads of all the versions government agencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Just Congress and the President. They are the ones who cannot agree and pass a bill. The supreme court and all the other heads have nothing to do with shutdowns.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I know this will never happen. Would you support a change so that if there’s another government shut down the first to loose their pay include the President, members of Congress, US Supreme Court, and the heads of all the versions government agencies?
Nice idea, but I doubt it would make any difference. At least when it comes to the prez and congress, most have enough money of their own to last quite a while without a pay check. Heck, the president doesn't even have to pay rent or a mortgage on his residence!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Not really. Most of them are already powerful, wealthy, well connected, and have other sources of income.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
That and if a certain government agency shuts down all those services instantly stop. No essential services. So if DHS is not funded. The borders are closed, no international flights, or shipping, no cruises.

Bet it gets funded really fast.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Sure--but in this case it would not matter. The person causing the shutdown has all of his and his family's needs paid for by the taxpayers--he couldn't care less. You think Javanka will miss their winter vacays in Aspen and the Caribbean? Melania is still commuting to Palm Beach. They are really feeling it......

Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:

What do you think the Odds are that a Constitutional Amendment would pass to do that??
YOU did know that those particular salaries are in the Constitution ..... RIGHT?

The President could not "refuse" a Salary Constitutionally ..... so he accepts the Salary and then immediately donates it.

What would work -- is for the CongressCritters to get their pay checks (just as the Constitution mandates) - BUT that NONE of their Staff or anyone in the Capitol (exception Security) would be allowed to work.

THAT would do it.
The Elite CongressCritters would not be interested in answering their own phones, cleaning their own toilets, taking out their own Trash OR writing their own Legislation.

I doubt any of them actually know much about doing all the things that Normal People do daily.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sure--but in this case it would not matter. The person causing the shutdown has all of his and his family's needs paid for by the taxpayers--he couldn't care less. You think Javanka will miss their winter vacays in Aspen and the Caribbean? Melania is still commuting to Palm Beach. They are really feeling it......
I forget

Why don't you tell us what Jared's salary is and what Ivanka's salary is.
Hint - it's the same as Melania's salary and Bad Orange Man's salary.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Ocrazio Kotex would be screaming right now, that she is broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies