Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM

88,966 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I don't know what a person's credit score would be if they had no credit history.

If you have 0 dollars, it doesn't matter how ridiculously cheap anything is.
It's on each person to build a credit rating. That's how it works. Start small, and always make the minimum payment. Build up from there. And if one has a job, one doesn't have zero dollars.

BS excuses are just that... total BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Word is that nobody in Oregon is getting EBT (food stamps). Of course the Department of Agriculture is closed, as are local offices, so there is nobody to ask if it's a glitch. If it's a glitch, there's nobody to fix it.

National news says the program is funded through the end of January, but word on the street says it's not happening.

So is "word is" the new way of hiding the source--or anonymous sources? is this another way of pushing fake news

Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

That's all available for ridiculously cheap prices.

I'm seeing a HELL of a lot of excuses, there. ALL are inexcusable as they can easily be circumvented.
Haircuts are around $30 for men, towards of $95 for women. A gym membership so you can shower is at least $50/mo. And no one would claim that rents are "ridiculously cheap" where jobs actually are.

If you've always been lucky enough to be wealthy, it will understandably be difficult for you to understand that costs you see as trivial can make or break people who are less fortunate.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's on each person to build a credit rating. That's how it works. Start small, and always make the minimum payment. Build up from there. And if one has a job, one doesn't have zero dollars.

BS excuses are just that... total BS.
The minimum payment of what? Who gives you a credit card with no income source?

How does one GET a job or a credit card if one has zero dollars? Everything I described is stuff you need to have to GET the job. And do you get paid daily? How long does it take to get that first paycheck?

Tell you what. Live on the street for one weekend with no resources. Then come back and tell us how easy it was to get a job with no address, no clean clothes, no place to shower, and no street address to put on the application.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I vote a straight Republican ticket I think of all the people on food stamps...how they get to eat for free while I pay cash money. I have such deep animosity. Yet Republicans do nothing to cut food stamps. Instead they do things I have no passion for like cutting taxes. I don't want taxes cut, I want social services for the poor to be cut...that's why I vote Republican dammit. Yet it never happens. So if it happens as a byproduct of a long government shutdown I would be overjoyed. But I know this life all too well....it's not going to happen. No way, no how. The food stamp people always get what they want..this is their country...they are the (welfare) queens and nothing will stop their gravy train.
If someone is working the system to collect free food, it says something about their character. If you hear of someone in need and refuse to help, it says something about yours.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Meals on Wheels receives federal funding. https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org...eals-on-wheels
The fees are still pretty stiff. We looked into MoW when my mother was in her last years. It would have doubled her grocery bill.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The kicker to that believe it or not, is that is a time in u.s. social history, that if a person fell on hard times, into poverty --- they blamed themselves for it. They believed they were not right with God, their poverty was His punishment of them. (85 years ago) Just yesterday ...

If people haven't explored the Depression Era via history channel or the recounts of History of that era through you tube videos (again through historians), I advise to do so. It was a time that Americans trusted their government and a time they really didn't know very much about the government other than where to buy stamps and mail a letter. Just prior to that it was the roaring 20's ... then boom ...

I get the feeling some one is going to get a bright idea about the safety programs and the American people are going to second that bright idea about those programs, then later to realize, maybe that wasn't such a bright idea after all. Then I think, the government wouldn't do that, would they? May be ... dunno, but interesting era the great depression of when people had to learn how to deal.
Do you realize that there is no history on The History Channel? I suppose you are convinced the Great Depression was caused by outer space aliens? Where do you live that there were no poor farms, poor houses, or work houses to exploit orphans and abandoned children? There's your fictitious 19th century Utopia.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
There's no negotiating with the Dems. This is the only leverage the President has.
Trump isn't negotiating. He has offered nothing in exchange for what he wants. For a guy who claims to know about making deals, he sure seems clueless.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Do you realize that there is no history on The History Channel? I suppose you are convinced the Great Depression was caused by outer space aliens? Where do you live that there were no poor farms, poor houses, or work houses to exploit orphans and abandoned children? There's your fictitious 19th century Utopia.

But there is Pawn Stars! Great show.

RIP Old Man.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And? Maybe it'll help people become self reliant and quit the tit.

So contemptuous, so ignorant; so exquisitely Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies