Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The fees are still pretty stiff. We looked into MoW when my mother was in her last years. It would have doubled her grocery bill.
I agree. It's very costly for seniors. Many avoid the program for exactly that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yes, but it'll look cheap.
False. It's pretty hard to screw up basic hairstyles. You just can't help but make more lame excuses. That's a shame.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Usually, that starts with store specific credit cards.

That's a lame excuse. Literally millions of high school students get part-time and full-time summer jobs. How do they do it? And if they can do it, there's no reason whatsoever that anyone else can't.
High school students mostly live in their parents' houses where they have an address, food, clothes, and a place and tools/products to maintain hygiene and groom.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
False. It's pretty hard to screw up basic hairstyles. You just can't help but make more lame excuses. That's a shame.
You can certainly screw up basic hairstyles. It's happened to me when I've tried to cheap out (went for a trim at a mall salon, they took off too much length on one side). I have very long and thick wavy hair so I was able to hide it with styling until I got it fixed, but there's far less room for error on people with shorter hair.

And it's not making lame excuses for people, it's called being aware that some of us like you and me are far more fortunate than a lot of people out there.

Ultimately, I think most people do try their best with the hand they've been dealt in life. Sometimes they may not have the knowledge they need to make sound life decisions. I don't think throwing even more money at them is the answer, but demonizing them as lazy and unmotivated isn't either.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Riots Across America - The Great Depression

Rather than make a random post, watch video first, then read the poster's comment, then read my reply to that poster ... then post. May want to review my original post, as well. I'm not even going to try and make sense of your post Larry. And also, take the usage of the word 'you' out of the response, if you would like me to reply ... just saying. btw: keep in mind that you do not know my age.
The problem with the History Channel is that it plays fast and loose with facts to sensationalize its programming. Riots happen in America from time to time. If you started putting together video clips 80 years from now, it would be easy to show that the last decade was nothing but fire and fury in US cities.

The problem then, as now, was not starvation, it was malnutrition. People decry the obese poor people, but when a pound of broccoli costs more than a pound of hamburger, what you get is malnutrition. I asked my parents if they ever went hungry during the great depression. Their answer? "No, but we didn't always have much choice in what we ate."

Eating well requires an expensive infrastructure. My wife and I discuss the fact that, if necessary, we could survive on a food stamp budget, but we have the infrastructure. At the end of the summer, frozen vegetables go on sale while they clean out cold storage for the new crop. You can buy a pound of no-waste frozen vegetables for less than a buck a pound. I will spend $50 on frozen vegetables and store them in the chest freezer. That's a whole shopping cart full. It means nothing to people so poor they don't even have a refrigerator. Being poor is very expensive.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
High school students mostly live in their parents' houses where they have an address, food, clothes, and a place and tools/products to maintain hygiene and groom.
If the homeless can enroll their kids in school with an address (usually, a homeless shelter, etc.), and they do, they can apply for a job with that same address.

Stop making lame excuses.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You can certainly screw up basic hairstyles. It's happened to me when I've tried to cheap out (went for a trim at a mall salon, they took off too much length on one side). I have very long and thick wavy hair so I was able to hide it with styling until I got it fixed, but there's far less room for error on people with shorter hair.

And it's not making lame excuses for people, it's called being aware that some of us like you and me are far more fortunate than a lot of people out there.

Ultimately, I think most people do try their best with the hand they've been dealt in life. Sometimes they may not have the knowledge they need to make sound life decisions. I don't think throwing even more money at them is the answer, but demonizing them as lazy and unmotivated isn't either.
You just keep making lame excuses based on irrelevant personal anecdotes. Why?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
If the homeless can enroll their kids in school with an address (usually, a homeless shelter, etc.), and they do, they can apply for a job with that same address.

Stop making lame excuses.
I suggest you look at this regarding homeless students enrolling in school: https://nche.ed.gov/wp-content/uploa...enrollment.pdf

It's not the same as applying for a credit card.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_129796

You know, I agree with you on a few points here about making excuses, such as the haircuts isse. But don't be ridiculous! I'm not sure why we're talking about credit cards anyway.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The problem with the History Channel is that it plays fast and loose with facts to sensationalize its programming. Riots happen in America from time to time. If you started putting together video clips 80 years from now, it would be easy to show that the last decade was nothing but fire and fury in US cities.

The problem then, as now, was not starvation, it was malnutrition. People decry the obese poor people, but when a pound of broccoli costs more than a pound of hamburger, what you get is malnutrition. I asked my parents if they ever went hungry during the great depression. Their answer? "No, but we didn't always have much choice in what we ate."

Eating well requires an expensive infrastructure. My wife and I discuss the fact that, if necessary, we could survive on a food stamp budget, but we have the infrastructure. At the end of the summer, frozen vegetables go on sale while they clean out cold storage for the new crop. You can buy a pound of no-waste frozen vegetables for less than a buck a pound. I will spend $50 on frozen vegetables and store them in the chest freezer. That's a whole shopping cart full. It means nothing to people so poor they don't even have a refrigerator. Being poor is very expensive.
Quote:
The problem with the History Channel is that it plays fast and loose with facts to sensationalize its programming.
That could be, but the facts of the history remain the same. One can not sensationalize a dust bowl drought, nor how people dealt with the ordeal. Nor can one sensationalize, a stock market crash, nor how people dealt with the ordeal. One can not sensationalize (farmers not being able to make their mortgage/farm foreclosures) the economics, nor how people dealt with (business closings) the ordeal of trying to make due, with little to nothing. Facts are facts; stories remain the same.
Quote:
Riots happen in America from time to time. If you started putting together video clips 80 years from now, it would be easy to show that the last decade was nothing but fire and fury in US cities.
That was not a clip of over a decade but what happened (and how authorities dealt with the riots) in a relatively 'short' amount of time. But, where riots spawned all across the u.s., in 1933. They stemmed from the Bonus Army's march on D.C., to food riots, to riots in protest of evictions. It wasn't something that happened in say 1930 then again later in 1940. This was (the reaction of the people) all that happened during the 4 year span of the Hoover Administration. A time in history where there were more people leaving (for russia) the u.s, rather than coming into it.
Quote:
The problem then, as now, was not starvation, it was malnutrition.
That is what Hoover said too ... The Ordeal of Herbert Hoover, Part 2

Quote:
Defensive to the point of bewilderment, he told reporters, "No one is actually starving." In fact, said Hoover, he knew of one hobo who had managed to beg ten meals in a single day.

There was precious little contentment among Hoover's countrymen. One day in 1931, ten thousand Communist demonstrators picketed the White House with placards reading, "The Hoover program—a crust of bread and a bayonet." Congress, for whom the next election seemed more important than unity in the midst of crisis, stubbornly resisted the President. "Why is it that when a man is on this job as I am," raged a baffled Hoover, "day and night, doing the best he can, that certain men . . . seek to oppose everything he does, just to oppose him?"
John Stossel, also in agreement said:
Quote:
Fox Business host John Stossel on Thursday declared that government programs should be cut based on the false assertion that “no one” died of starvation in the Great Depression before the modern “welfare state.” [...] “And when people are needy you want them [to get] help,” Stossel agreed. “But think about the [Great] Depression. That was before there was any welfare state at all. How many people starved? No one.”
“Right, good point,” Doocy agreed.
Here's the rebuttal:
Quote:
In the Pennsylvania coal fields, three or four families crowded together in one-room shacks and lived on wild weeds. In Arkansas, families were found inhabiting caves. In Oakland, California, whole families lived in sewer pipes.
President Herbert Hoover declared, "Nobody is actually starving. The hoboes are better fed than they have ever been." But in New York City in 1931, there were 20 known cases of starvation; in 1934, there were 110 deaths caused by hunger. There were so many accounts of people starving in New York that the West African nation of Cameroon sent $3.77 in relief.
"We will never know how many people died as a result of starvation or illness related to malnutrition during the years of the Great Depression because there were no official Federal Government statistics for that era. [Deleted reference to Russian researcher] However, there is enough anecdotal evidence that people did starve during the Great Depression, and that contrary to what Mr. Stossel asserts now, and President Hoover asserted then, people did in fact die from lack of adequate food intake, otherwise known as death by starvation." Stossel: No need for Government Programs Cuz No One Starved to Death in Great Depression

Yet, the records to this day what there is of them will all give recorded accounts ... death by malnutrition. Quite advantageous ...
Then FDR comes in with his 'make American work again' ... he grows the government, creating agencies that put Americans back to work ... (some of these agencies I would like to see go away) then on to the 60's where the food stamp program via the farm bill, comes into play with assistance given to low to no income people.

Now, I posted, I am sadistic ... I am that in the way, that I would actually like to watch you and those like you, in real time mode ... work it out (without a safety net government funded program in sight) and for the government to shrink back down to the size it was prior to the Great Depression. Not to teach people a lesson, no, but so as they may learn the value of the dollar and the value of helping their neighbors when they need help and are too stubborn to ask for it, because they are afraid of what you might think of them if they did.

Go back before there was SS retirement that I have to pay into no matter what, it is taken from me without my permission ... no employment benefits that make an employer pay into a system, whether they like it or not ... no food stamp or food assistance and no medical at all ... leave the Fed income tax in play, so people can then begin to question, 'what is it do they do with that % that they take from me? Where does it go?'

Would America work again --- would America riot again? Flip a coin ...

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: because ...

Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
There's no legitimate reason why anyone's credit score should be below that. Even with costly medical bills, a monthly payment plan can be arranged. Just don't miss any payments.

That's all available for ridiculously cheap prices.

I'm seeing a HELL of a lot of excuses, there. ALL are inexcusable as they can easily be circumvented.
+1.

I mean really...I've heard it all now. People can't afford to get a red shirt, tan pants nor have access to a washing machine to get a job at Target so hence just give up entirely.

No wonder this country is screwed.

Remember when pride & shame were a thing? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies