Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,699,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If one never said such things privately, it seems unlikely he would "slip" in saying it publicly. He probably says "coon" privately at least once in a while, which is why he "slipped" and accidentally said it publicly.
Or maybe he says Coon, because one of his coworker's name at the station is Coon.
However, I am glad that the Central Committee Thought Police Unit made its final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,066,032 times
Society now dictates immediate public execution for the slightest of slips, I hope musicians are held to the same standard. When their songs/videos include racially interpreted words and phrases, stereotype images/scenes or anything that someone might take the wrong way I hope they are strung up publicly.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 01-09-2019 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Society now dictates immediate public execution for the slightest of slips, I hope musicians are held to the same standard. When their songs/videos include racially interpreted words and phrases, stereotype images/scenes or anything that someone might take the wrong way I hope they are strung up publically.
Wait till they discover bodybuilders. Bodybuilders make their bodies blacker to show muscles. Since black face is racist, what about black body?! A lot of bodybuilders also spray tan their face to look black. Checkmate conservatives.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-09-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,023,102 times
Seems like an overreaction.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 PM

19,190 posts, read 16,664,271 times
This firing is utterly ridiculous. The man meant no disrespect. He jumbled his words, that's all. When is this hypersensitivity and jumping to conclusions without getting all the facts going to stop? I'm not a lawsuit for the sake of a lawsuit type of person but, in this case, I'd sue that station for wrongful termination.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 AM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
I left the most jumbled voice message on a customers answering machine today. No accidental racial slurs thankfully, but my mouth and brain weren't working in unison for some reason.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:57 AM

29,209 posts, read 22,333,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Unless there’s evidence of previous racist statements by the meteorologist, I’m inclined to give the gentleman the benefit of the doubt. It’s just so bizarre that he would jeopardize his career by uttering “Coon” purposely.
It wasn't intentional, but the guy had either said it at some time before, or the expression had rolled around in his mind approvingly.

Slips of the lip betray agreeable thoughts. If the reporter had been disgusted and appalled when he first heard that expression, it would have never slipped out.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,343,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It wasn't intentional, but the guy had either said it at some time before, or the expression had rolled around in his mind approvingly.

Slips of the lip betray agreeable thoughts. If the reporter had been disgusted and appalled when he first heard that expression, it would have never slipped out.
What up, Siggy Freud?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I'm glad another Thought Police commissar came here to chime in and provide their expertise.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,808,873 times
Quote:

Ridiculous.

Stop focusing on the word, and entertain the possibility of syllables and parts of words and sounds which, when spoken quickly, can result in any number of unfortunate utterances. They're called speech errors.

Instead of moonlighting as a shrink, educate yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies