Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...it’s bleak because they’re unprepared for the future.
Yes, and they feel very bad about that, so they kill themselves. If you lack future orientation and just care about eating, getting high, getting laid, etc. today, you are far less likely to commit suicide, even when your future is, realistically, very bleak.

Quote:
LMAO at you now disparaging black folks having optimism.
Nah... I'm they guy who says it isn't really anyone's fault, and we're all the way we are mostly because of the genetic hand we've been dealt. Don't confuse me with the others who actually are blaming blacks for behaving the way they do.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Just curious.

Asian households out earn white households. Asians live longer than whites. Asians are less likely to go to prison than whites. Asians outscore whites on the ACT/SAT/IQ tests. Etc....on and on.

Why always compare blacks to whites when whites aren't on top.
African Americans have no shared history, experiences, or commonality with Asians in this country. We have NOTHING to do with each other.

African Americans and white Americans are basically coevals in this country. The comparison (if one is to be made) is appropriate. Asians aren’t in the discussion whatsoever and shouldn’t be pulled into it. They weren’t responsible for any institutionalized racism or slavery in this country. They didn’t force religious brainwashing with their white Jesus down the throats of black people. They didn’t erase the history and language of African Americans and indoctrinate blacks into a perverse form of their ideology while doing all they could to simultaneously subjugate them. Asians didn’t take our names and give us theirs.

I get why whites want this to be about Asians, but I refuse to entertain it. Asians don’t want to be pulled into the argument either, and I don’t blame them.

African Americans have a unique history in this country, and that was brought to us courtesy of white folks.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

Nah... I'm they guy who says it isn't really anyone's fault, and we're all the way we are mostly because of the genetic hand we've been dealt. Don't confuse me with the others who actually are blaming blacks for behaving the way they do.
Ahhhh...so now you want to take personal responsibility off the table when it’s convenient, huh??

You’ve got the trickery down cold...but not cold enough.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
True, some suicides result from feelings of personal failure... of regrets for not having been strong enough to do what needed to be done. People who lack that capacity for self-criticism are probably less likely to kill themselves.
Not what I was saying at all.

As much as disadvantaged members of society harp on the adversity they're made to endure, it's character-building at the end of the day. People who choose to end their life unfortunately do not have enough experience with hardship, so they lack the resilience needed to fight through it. I'm such a harsh critic of myself that I often hate my life, but I'm also wise enough to know such feelings are temporary.

For the record I'm not stating that any one race owns this attitude. It's completely about environment and upbringing.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Just curious.

Asian households out earn white households. Asians live longer than whites. Asians are less likely to go to prison than whites. Asians outscore whites on the ACT/SAT/IQ tests. Etc....on and on.

Why always compare blacks to whites when whites aren't on top.
What does this have to do with us (Asian Americans) here? Trying to pull the model minority card here again?

Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Republicans like nothing better than telling other people what they think, why they think it and (most importantly) why they're wrong.

I'm not black, I'm going to listen black people tell me what it's like to be black.
The most common sense post of the day.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
you simply can't legislate equal outcomes no matter how hard you try
It makes sense.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they dont want our help, they want our life, not help, just walk out of our house and give it to them.
You’re in no position to help...and you wouldn’t help if you could anyway. History tells me that.

White Americans are barely keeping their heads above water. That’s why you voted for Trump out of frustration. You can barely help yourselves at this point, let alone help us.

You don’t think black folks see that? LMAO...please. We KNOW that you’re nowhere near what you once were. You’re a shell of yourself. Who’d envy that? I know I don’t.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Not what I was saying at all.

As much as disadvantaged members of society harp on the adversity they're made to endure, it's character-building at the end of the day. People who choose to end their life unfortunately do not have enough experience with hardship, so they lack the resilience needed to fight through it. I'm such a harsh critic of myself that I often hate my life, but I'm also wise enough to know such feelings are temporary.

For the record I'm not stating that any one race owns this attitude. It's completely about environment and upbringing.
I think you make a mistake in assuming that. Sure, people can get tougher through adversity, but that's hardly all that's going on when it comes to differing rates of suicide.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Here is another thing, the "fake till you make it" mind set has placed many black people at an economic disadvantage. There is no incentive to save money, if Black people believe buying luxury items with undistributed income will make them become successful. Who needs a Louis Vuitton purse? Who needs gold teeth? "Hey look at me, I live in a shack, but drive a Cadillac!" Start saving, and stop robbing yourself of a financially successful future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Please tell me where you have seen this in real life.
^^^^
My daughter once worked for a chain restaurant that was in "the hood". One day she noticed a young woman come into the restaurant with her newborn baby. The baby was entirely dressed in Michael Kors. My daughter asked her GM (who was black) why anyone would pay all that money when newborns quickly grow out of their clothing. Her GM said this --- it's called "ghetto fabulous". Then the GM added---they may not have money for the rent but they still go out and buy these outfits.

--------------------------------

All that said...

My father was Puerto Rican and grew up poor in NYC. His mother died when he was a preschooler. Eventually, his father remarried to a widow who had a child of her own. One thing the stepmother tried to get all the kids to do ---drop out of high school and go to work. My father's 3 older siblings did as asked. My father refused. He told his stepmother that he was going to finish high school and he will work part-time while in school.

He went out looking for work (in the 40s) and many places he went he was told "We don't hire Puerto Ricans". He was looking for unskilled work, like busing tables or washing dishes. He didn't let that stop him and eventually he found a job.

He graduated HS and enlisted in the Navy during WWII and saw action. After the war, he went to college on the GI bill, eventually getting a good white collar job. There was no affirmative action to help him.

He experienced lots of bigotry along the way. Some people, who experience that, walk around with a chip on their shoulder and blame others for their lack of success. My father never bought into any of that. By not doing so, he set a good example for us kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies