Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 08:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Go home then. AND quit blaming me....I wasn't born then. My ancestors are from Europe and didn't arrive till after civil war, again, don't blame me. Finally, only the richest 5% owned slaves, and I hardly qualify.
Not the richest 5%. Roughly 1 in 5 families owned slaves.

Quote:
Poor African Americans. The "history and language" of my people has been erased, I'm an American now. I guess through 5 generations I've been "indoctrinated". I have never simultaneously subjugated anyone. All I've done is kept my head down, worked, and provided for my family. Please leave me alone. I don't want your white guilt garbage, or should I say, indoctrination, either. As for the entire slavery deal...it's been over for more than 150 years and you still can't get your crap together. Don't blame me. Why is it that every cultural group that's assimilated to America, more or less, has risen in the ranks, with the above exception. Dumb Swedes, of which I'm one, drunk Irish, Italian hoods, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanics, on and on.
Encourage others to work fulltime, finish high school, and wait until 21 to get married and have kids. THAT is the road to success. Or one can just blame whitey.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Asians. I was on board with your argument until you said that. Come on.

Years ago I lived in an diverse apartment building. There were White, Asian, black and Hispanic residents. Lots of kids often running around the building. I would arrive home in the evening. One Asian family would leave their blinds open. You could see their living room. They did not have a TV but their two kids would always be immersed in their homework while their parents sat next to them. Every evening the same thing. My guess is 20 years later these kids that are grown up are not dropouts or in jail or blaming white people or society for what went wrong. My guess is they are doing quite well. And the parents were immigrants and spoke little English.
I don't understand? I'm with you on the way they raise their kids...and I was suggesting that they did a lot of things for their race, but more so, as individuals, they worked very hard, with their kids.

Families, took in family members from other countries and helped them work their way thru...but taught them they had to pay rent, and pay their fair share, in spite of it all...they also believe in taking care of their old as well as each other...

So why don't you like Asians? I really admire them.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Race card in the left pocket. Victim card in the right pocket. If one falls out you have a backup.
I don't think this is fair. Sure not every race needs to be making income at equal levels, that would be ridiculous.

However, it's unfair to say that a "race card" or "victim card" is being played. The fact is a certain little practice in America called SLAVERY....let me repeat, SLAVERY, that only ended 150 years ago reeeeaalllly set back African Americans in comparison to American whites.

There were never any reparations paid for slavery, it was simply, "okay you're free buh bye," while Confederate whites got to return back to business as usual. The generals became professors at universities. White people were fine after the Civil War, but black people, while free, were still heavily discriminated against. Hell, the Civil Rights Act was only passed in 1964.

It has taken a looooong time for there to be anything remotely close to a level playing field.

Last edited by Valhallian; 01-09-2019 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not looking for white folks do do anything. It would be dangerous to rely on a force that put you down....to lift you up. No offense. It's akin to feeling good about yourself because other people said good about you. Well, that opens the door for people saying bad about you to make you feel bad about yourself. The way one feels about themselves need to internally generated....not based upon what others do and say.

Hence, I think this nation, via congress, needs to make the official acknowledgement to the nation and world. Following that, blacks should take that information and handle it from there, with the government not impeding our ability to do what needs to be done. I think strengthening black ties and relationship with nations in Africa is part of the master plan. As having been to Africa myself, a few times, it's ripe for investment and opportunity for African Americans. We need another option besides America.....for those that want one. Many blacks do not.....but many do.

I think many young black people have lost sight of the struggle.....that is who I want to see the change in most. They need to link our past to their present and see the collective issue and not be on this total quest to be all about themselves.
The big problem with Black Americans today is that Black America is divided into different camps and thus can not work collectively. Example you have these black conservative Trump supporters who cheerlead for this man. Than you have the conscious woke pro black, than you have mainline black person who politically liberal, but socially conservative in culture. Each group has their own form of struggle, but wont unify their struggle into a single unit. Than you have millions of black immigrants and their children who don't see eye to eye with black America. I have heard from all three, afro latinos, afro Caribbean and Africans who say stuff about black Americans being lazy. Also Afro Latino, Afro Caribbean, African do not have history of Jim Crow, or the legacy of slavery as an hinderance, even though slavery existed in their land, but not as economically successful. The only way for black immigrants to feel the pain of African American is to be harassed by the police or discriminated against via academic, financial or health institution. Also these groups of blacks do not like each other. Example. Pro blacks on social media will call the police on other black people, and even had other black people doxxed got them fired from their jobs, arrested by the police or evicted from their apartments due to difference of of speech and ideology. I find this to be sickening.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Go home then. AND quit blaming me....I wasn't born then. My ancestors are from Europe and didn't arrive till after civil war, again, don't blame me. Finally, only the richest 5% owned slaves, and I hardly qualify.

Poor African Americans. The "history and language" of my people has been erased, I'm an American now. I guess through 5 generations I've been "indoctrinated". I have never simultaneously subjugated anyone. All I've done is kept my head down, worked, and provided for my family. Please leave me alone. I don't want your white guilt garbage, or should I say, indoctrination, either. As for the entire slavery deal...it's been over for more than 150 years and you still can't get your crap together. Don't blame me. Why is it that every cultural group that's assimilated to America, more or less, has risen in the ranks, with the above exception. Dumb Swedes, of which I'm one, drunk Irish, Italian hoods, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanics, on and on.
Only the .1% of families pay the estate tax ie death tax. That doesn't stop the Conservatives from locking arms in support of someone else's priorities. The 5% slave-owners argument is the same.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
On above, I'll further note, I was around my elder relatives a lot. My parents weren't the best but they also weren't as crappy as some parents are today (we had routines for example, clean clothes, went to school everyday, were expected to be respectful and get good grades, etc.).

I got a very good cultural education from my family. The main part that I even would kind of debate with my grandmother and great grandmother about is the fact that our elder generations seriously thought that white people were crazy/ignorant. LOL but true - I was not raised to think that white people knew anything significant about blacks in general or me. I was also raised to know that they would say ignorant s**t to me and about me (my grandmother especially impressed this upon me) and not to listen to them cause "they crazy."

I remember watching a comedian speaking on this, can't remember his name but he was speaking about the fact that today when you hear of a person doing something crazy you can never know for sure if it is truly a white person like we did in the past - hear of some person going out to pet a lion or something - you'd know that was a white person lol. Trevor Noah kind of hinted upon this as well in his recent Netflix special when he discussed traveling to Bali with his white friends and how he should have checked with them first because white people do some crazy things that black people just wouldn't do. Note to the whites here this is not a knock on you, it is just something that many black people grew up with - knowing white people do some crazy stuff and think crazy things and many of you are prejudiced and racist and don't even know it. My grandmother especially, when I told her how I didn't have any prejudiced/racist white friends, would tell me "wait until you're older" lol. She was right. I've had MANY crazy prejudiced/racist white co-workers and associates and clients, etc. So I don't take seriously anything that white people say about being black since they know nothing about being black anyway. Data can be useful but acknowledgements are not. Apologies are not. I don't need an acknowledgement or apology for something I already know and that will make no difference in my life. I need us as a collective to get back to upholding ourselves and understanding "they crazy" and not to take these studies seriously.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't understand? I'm with you on the way they raise their kids...and I was suggesting that they did a lot of things for their race, but more so, as individuals, they worked very hard, with their kids.

Families, took in family members from other countries and helped them work their way thru...but taught them they had to pay rent, and pay their fair share, in spite of it all...they also believe in taking care of their old as well as each other...

So why don't you like Asians? I really admire them.

Whoosh!

You referred to them as "Orientals" hence the fact that I highlighted the word in bold. I am fine with Asians but think you should refer to them as such. It taints your argument. Like using one of the older terms that referred to black people.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The big problem with Black Americans today is that Black America is divided into different camps and thus can not work collectively. Example you have these black conservative Trump supporters who cheerlead for this man. Than you have the conscious woke pro black, than you have mainline black person who politically liberal, but socially conservative in culture. Each group has their own form of struggle, but wont unify their struggle into a single unit. Also these groups of blacks do not like each other. Example. Pro blacks on social media will call the police on other black people, and even had other black people doxxed got them fired from their jobs, arrested by the police or evicted from their apartments due to difference of of speech and ideology. I find this to be sickening.

Yes, there is a lot of disunity. I totally agree. We no longer have our eyes on the prize. I am more into things AFRICAN now....than African American. Africans society is more like African American society in the 50's, in regards to respect for elders and how they generally look out for each other. In America it's now "Every man and women for themselves" and we are NEVER going to solve our COLLECTIVE problems with a "Me" attitude.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:15 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If the studies finding are correct, in that most people do not know just how wide the socioeconomic difference is between blacks and whites in America.....that means that most people on these forums do not know either, assuming this forum is somewhat a microcosm. If people object to KNOWLEDGE, its only because they have an emotional bond to IGNORANCE. They are comfortable with ignorance.

People are not like...."Wow. I did not realize the gaps were that big. What can the nation do about this". Instead....people are ticked off that its even brought up. America want to live with the FANTASY about race.....instead of the reality about race. Disturbing the fantasy.....with reality.....becomes DIVISIVE in their minds.
But you haven't proven a racial gap exists. The "study" doesn't come anywhere close to such a proof. To prove/disprove the null hypothesis that race is the determining factor for a specific socioeconomic disparity, ALL OTHER VARIABLES other than race MUST BE EQUAL, thus leaving race as the only possible explanation.

The "study" accounts for exactly two variables on a national scale - household income and race. There at least 20 more variables to equalize if we wanted even a crude, high altitude examination to see if further drilling is even warranted, much less conclusive.

As I wrote many posts ago - get back to me when a proper statistical analysis that accounts for a ton more variables can make a case.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:

On the bold - we are home. Our ancestors have been here longer than any of your European ones. Even though I may not agree with all black people's POV in this country, I can respect them as individuals for their perspectives because we, as a demographic, throughout the course of this nation really have been the only one that has continuously fought for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" and that "beautiful struggle" as many of us call it, is a reason why your recent European immigrant ancestors were able to come to this country (and if they came prior to 1980 - they had better economic and educational opportunities than my own black/mixed race ancestors who've been here since the 1600s).

Any time someone claims blacks need to "go home" I think about how I live in a city where my family has lived since the 1840s, how about you...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies