Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I wonder if that response is related to the statement some blacks use? The "I'm black and I'm proud" thing instead of being proud of ones individual accomplishments? If you want me to think as you as black vs being you, type of thing.
I don't think so. Somehow, I don't think so. I think such a response is likely a backhanded compliment.

By the way, "I'm Black and I'm Proud" was a response to the rest of America society during the 1950s looking down on Blacks and basically treating Black people like 2nd class people.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
I wonder if that response is related to the statement some blacks use? The "I'm black and I'm proud" thing instead of being proud of ones individual accomplishments? If you want me to think as you as black vs being you, type of thing.
There's a bit of nuance required here. I hope the following makes sense.

Most of the "pride" movements, be they racial or related to sexual orientation, have been initiated by people who were told for years that something about their identity was cause for shame and are simply a response to that. There is a difference between saying "I am XYZ and proud," and saying "I am proud because I am XYZ."

Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
The inequality comes about because the welfare state encourages single parenthood and doesn't encourage one to work and better themselves.

Does not compute logically. Why would the welfare state impact black humans differently than white humans to the degree that it would produce such gaps? Do black people innately look for welfare more than whites or something? If black humanity is the same as white humanity....it can't. Ergo, you cannot create an INEQUALITY from an EQUALITY if both sides are treated the same. Blacks and whites were both exposed to the existence of welfare at an equal time. Hence, logic points to either that both sides were not treated the same (which lead one to need welfare more than the other).....or that both sides are not inherently equal in what makes them human and hence these traits makes blacks innately look more to get "something for nothing".

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-10-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not Asian, so I suppose it's none of my business, but I don't think I would enjoy being used as a weapon against other races, either, and that's essentially what these people are doing. Or so it seems.

Yes. Context is everything, and when you see someone extolling Asian Americans in a discussion centered around African Americans, it's pretty obvious what's being implied here. This kind of stuff has been going on for decades.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes. Context is everything, and when you see someone extolling Asian Americans in a discussion centered around African Americans, it's pretty obvious what's being implied here. This kind of stuff has been going on for decades.
When the European colonialist would take control of a region, they would pick one ethnic group in the area and grant them more privilege and status then the other ethnic groups. This was a means of control via a small population since that one group being in a privileged position would ensure the other groups did not cause trouble. The British did this in India and Africa, the French did this in Vietnam with the Catholics, etc.

This same tactic has been continually used in this nation since inception. American white nationalist don't like and respect Asian culture or people. They simply see them as a measuring stick onto which they can belittle and beat down Black and Brown people.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Not a temper tantrum....a logic tantrum. You should try throwing one every once in a while too. Again, an inequality cannot be created from an equality unless one side is treated differently than the other. That is the logical foundation of my argument. What is the logical foundation of your argument? Let me answer for you....YOU HAVE NONE....its all EMOTIONAL....its based upon WHAT YOU FEEL.
There was nothing remotely logical in your little tirade. Hell, there was barely anything literate or rational there. You appear to be making the argument that black people are somehow mentally inferior to other races. I reject that contention-and those that attempt to belittle and hold down blacks by that assessment. All races are a collection of individuals. It is up to individuals to make something of themselves and not pretend that their skin color defines them. That is true of every race.

I have seen some programs of the KKK on the History Channel. Your arguments sound suspiciously like the "logic" behind theirs.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not know what type of math you are on.......but you CANNOT create an INEQUALITY from an EQUALITY, in math, without one side being treated differently than the other side. Its a mathematical LAW!!!! Hence, either blacks are not inherently equal or blacks were treated unequally....are the two options that explain why we are socioeconomically unequal. You call it race hustling, race profiting, voodoo or whatever you want.....ITS LOGIC. The fact that you cannot deal with the logic makes your motives SUSPECT.

Anytime anyone argues against one option of a binary option, they are implicitly arguing in favor of the other option. This is not rocket science logic. Blacks are in this condition, the gaps, because of EXTERNAL (things that happened to us) reasons or INTERNAL (our nature) reasons. Anyone who attacks the former is promoting the latter....and yes....that makes one racist.
Nobody is inherently equal to anyone else in so far as their abilities, ambitions, or other innate individual characteristics. What can be made equal is how much external force is legally exerted upon each individual by some outside agent. What each individual does with that freedom from force initiated against them is entirely up to them.

One of the great lies told to the gullible masses is that each person is equally capable of doing anything and everything else anyone else can. I was born unable to play basketball as well as LeBron James can play it. Genetics did not gift me with freakish speed, size, endurance ad coordination. That does not make basketball racist, the system unfair, or anything else. It simply reflects a natural reality of infinite variability between individuals. We used to have a black POTUS, who very white people are equal to in terms of charisma, force of personality, charm, etc. Not every person has Obama's combination of physical and mental skills/abilities, white, black or anywhere in between.

So the first error is assuming each individual starts off life exactly the same as every other person. If I am born blind, I have a natural, genetic disadvantage relative to people who can see. That doesn't make the system unfair, nor does it make me a victim or people with sight villains. It is simply one of an infinite number of possible starting inequalities between individuals.

Point 1 - individuals are not equal to each other.

Next thing is you confuse two equations. You're doing a wordy version of: because 2=2, then 3 should equal 5, or everyone is racist!

Equality in how a society treats people can and should be equal, but that is an independent equation from people starting off unequal inherently and naturally. So a society treating everyone equally under the law can and should expect wildly unequal outcomes. That just makes logical sense.

For example - if my IQ is 50 and yours is 200, and we are treated exactly the same under the law, should it be a surprise if my IQ of 50 doesn't result in a high paying, white collar job that requires intellect, while your IQ of 200 does indeed result in a job just like that? Under the law, our equation is Individual = Individual, but measured by IQ, 200 > 50. The equality and inequality equations are independent of each other, and both mathematically and logically valid.

Point 2 - the law should treat everyone equally, even if individuals are different. And under such a system, people will achieve unequal results...by definition, naturally.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There was nothing remotely logical in your little tirade. Hell, there was barely anything literate or rational there. You appear to be making the argument that black people are somehow mentally inferior to other races. I reject that contention-and those that attempt to belittle and hold down blacks by that assessment. All races are a collection of individuals. It is up to individuals to make something of themselves and not pretend that their skin color defines them. That is true of every race.

I have seen some programs of the KKK on the History Channel. Your arguments sound suspiciously like the "logic" behind theirs.

Inequalities CANNOT be created from EQUALITY. Two equal sides cannot become UNEQUAL unless something happens to one side, different, in degree or kind, than the other side.

If you plant two seeds that are genetically "equal"....the only way that they will produce different yields is if they get exposed to different degrees of soil, sun and rain (or any other external factor). If the two seeds are planted at the same time....and produce starkly different yields.....then either the seeds were not nourished equally or they were never genetically equal.

Its not rocket science. You have only EMOTIONS as the foundation of your argument....NO LOGIC. Even captain unobvious could see that if you are saying that the seeds were not nurtured the same....that one is saying that one seed is inferior to the other in its ability to produce a yield.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-10-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
a very dear friend of mine is Asian, and she is amazing, I wish I could be more like her, she is a walking encyclopedia.

She came to this country, while living with relative, got a job, learned the language and put her self through college and became an American Citizen. That isn't condescending, that is an incredible accomplishment to be very proud of....I consider Asian's to be amazing people, and I love their old fashioned ways. So, if you find that condescending I'm very sorry...you feel that way...you should be very proud of your race.

Sure there is poverty in all races, but I view Asians as being highly intelligent, with a hunger for knowledge that are a humble and diverse intellectually skilled people...

My friend is a fantastic mother, daughter, wife and friend...

you don't like it, then I'd be willing to say, that's your problem...b/c I have always views Asians with respect.

Why do you view Asians this way is the point I was making with my own post that silverkris responded to. You view them this way because socially in America for the past 60 years, media and studies have pushed the idea that Asians are "highly intelligent with a hunger for knowledge" and that they were better than other minority groups (especially black Americans).

That is why you see them that way.

Do you view all Chinese people this way over in China? Do you view all the Indians in India in this way? I bet if you went to China and/or India, you wouldn't have that view lol. That was the point. In Asia, Asians are the majority and they fair worse in socio-economic categories, including educational attainment versus black Americans, yet you and others view Asians in general more favorably based primarily on "studies" done in the 1960s, which were created to try to make the claim that racism wasn't the cause of social inequalities in this country for black people. They did this by comparing Asian Americans to the black population when Asian Americans do not have the same history or social circumstances as black Americans at all. So they cannot be compared.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nobody is inherently equal to anyone else in so far as their abilities, ambitions, or other innate individual characteristics. What can be made equal is how much external force is legally exerted upon each individual by some outside agent. What each individual does with that freedom from force initiated against them is entirely up to them.

One of the great lies told to the gullible masses is that each person is equally capable of doing anything and everything else anyone else can. I was born unable to play basketball as well as LeBron James can play it. Genetics did not gift me with freakish speed, size, endurance ad coordination. That does not make basketball racist, the system unfair, or anything else. It simply reflects a natural reality of infinite variability between individuals. We used to have a black POTUS, who very white people are equal to in terms of charisma, force of personality, charm, etc. Not every person has Obama's combination of physical and mental skills/abilities, white, black or anywhere in between.

So the first error is assuming each individual starts off life exactly the same as every other person. If I am born blind, I have a natural, genetic disadvantage relative to people who can see. That doesn't make the system unfair, nor does it make me a victim or people with sight villains. It is simply one of an infinite number of possible starting inequalities between individuals.

Point 1 - individuals are not equal to each other.

Next thing is you confuse two equations. You're doing a wordy version of: because 2=2, then 3 should equal 5, or everyone is racist!

Equality in how a society treats people can and should be equal, but that is an independent equation from people starting off unequal inherently and naturally. So a society treating everyone equally under the law can and should expect wildly unequal outcomes. That just makes logical sense.

For example - if my IQ is 50 and yours is 200, and we are treated exactly the same under the law, should it be a surprise if my IQ of 50 doesn't result in a high paying, white collar job that requires intellect, while your IQ of 200 does indeed result in a job just like that? Under the law, our equation is Individual = Individual, but measured by IQ, 200 > 50. The equality and inequality equations are independent of each other, and both mathematically and logically valid.

Point 2 - the law should treat everyone equally, even if individuals are different. And under such a system, people will achieve unequal results...by definition, naturally.

Never said individuals are equal to each other.....because they are not. Some individuals are indeed superior to other individuals in intellect, athleticism, work ethic, etc. No argument there and this difference account for some of the performance gaps between individuals. I simply do not believe this in regards to race and that these difference accounts for the performance gaps between races. I did not make up the definition of racism. You can go to dictionary.com to find it. However, to believe that race accounts for performance difference meets the definition of RACISM.

Yes....I understand what you are saying VERY WELL....and there is a term for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies