Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 02:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
This is the
Shocker !!!! for those who don't get it, and for those who cling to racist ideals and agenda...

White People don't get to continue their historical acts of "determining what (they think) is best for black people" !!! They don't get to tell black people... when they have had enough based on what whites expect to ration out. They don't get to play "the rationing gaming", they've done for 100's of years... They don't get to set the standards for Black people, or for American People in General.
Fine with me, as long as you're not putting your hands in my pockets I'm good.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Pretty obvious to me that the causes of economic inequality in the USA are a combination of past / current injustices and people making bad choices and not taking responsibility. Anyone who says it's 100% of one or the other is not to be listened to. There was real economic barriers that kept Blacks from getting the best jobs and not passing down wealth like most White families. It's also true that a higher percent of Blacks children up in single parent households which is very bad economically compared to two incomes paying one bill. That either is true doesn't negate the other. I know Black co workers with bad attitudes and behavior kept jobs they shouldn't have because management feared being called racist. I also know Black co workers who were quickly fired when I wouldn't have because my bosses viewed my as a fellow 'good ole boy'.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:08 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And if I picked out an article that showcased how a small segment of black people abuse the system, you'd call me racist.
No. I would say small sample size. Which is what most people use on here to justify they opinions

Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm with you that white people cannot understand what it's like to be black. Or Asian or Native American or Hispanic. The middle class and wealthy cannot understand what it's like to be living in poverty. Those in poverty don't understand what it's like to be wealthy. We could go on and on about how none of us can truly understand what the other is going through.

White people should stop assuming they know things about black people - but please, for the love of God, stop assuming you know things about white people. You are only one of several black posters who assume far too much when you don't know what you're talking about - yet you stand firm in your convictions.

Be what you want to see.
I don't assume to know anything about any white person unless I interact with them in some way or know them personally and they show me that they are a certain way.

Only thing I assume about people is that all people at some point in time will get on my nerves no matter what race they are lol.

All of my posts are usually in response to a particular person who posted to me and is either about that person (and I specifically state as such) or something they specifically wrote. I never make posts concerning all white people except what I stated earlier, of which you agreed - that whites cannot know what it is like to be black and due to that - they shouldn't get upset when a black person or any person tells them this - it is the truth and nothing to get upset about.

The only thing that I generalize about whites here and that I did in my post is that often online white posters are too defensive and get too angry about what they read/see/consume in media - and this is especially so about the self-proclaimed whites on this forum and I'll be honest, I feel you do this as well at times but not all the self-proclaimed white posters here do this. The person I was responding to admitted he/she was doing this - equating media representations as those that are about "blacks" when those people/stories that person is consuming is not about all black people in this country as many of us do not agree with those people on TV/media or even know who they are or what they are saying. I also stated I don't agree in total with the OP and frequently I disagree with black posters here - but I can respect their views even though I disagree - interestingly none of them have accused me of ever being a racist either lol or of thinking I assume what black people are like in total - I don't. Just like I don't about whites. I'll note I also don't feel that all the self proclaimed white posters here are racist - only those where is it blatantly obvious and FWIW I wouldn't include you or the other poster I responded to in that category.

I'll note in regards to media that I believe the same thing about black people that I said about whites and posters around here and their relationship to media. I even personally know quite a few black people who do the same thing (but often they follow different media than whites refer to as there are a lot of black media sites/stations/channels that have a majority black audience). For me, it serves no purpose and it is silly to get angry about media stories that are not representative in total of any group of people in this country and whose primary purpose is to upset people.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM

512 posts, read 474,058 times
The word "racism" also seems to make a lot of White people uncomfortable. I've noticed this not only on this thread, but elsewhere on C-D, too.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I expect people to be prejudiced/racists because people are and I cannot "cure" anyone's racism. That is an issue for that individual and for "the white community" to cure of themselves - not me and not black people."

And could also be said:

I expect people to be prejudiced/racists because people are and I cannot "cure" anyone's racism. That is an issue for that individual and for "the BLACK community" to cure of themselves - not me and not white people.
FYI - I do believe that black people hold racist views of our demographic. I also believe that blacks are much more likely to be homophobic and that we have a significant amount in our demographic who are xenophobic against people who are either not religious or who are of a different religious background than themselves.

For me, it is important that I speak about, with primarily black people the fact that we as a demographic include LGBTQ persons, that we have a diverse set of experiences and spiritual/religious/non-religious practices and due to this it is important that we are tolerant first and foremost within our demographic of other black people (homophobia in particular is VERY concerning to me within black America, also sexism with our older male population - both are challenges and issues that need to be remedied and the only people that can remedy them are black people). Once we tackle these prejudiced/racist beliefs within our demographic they will be expanded upon the entire American population.

I'll note that within black America, there are a lot of black people, similar to myself, whereas we are very much aware of the prejudice and racism within our demographic. We confront it, many of us in a respectful way with people we know in our families and communities and seek to have a more accepting community/family for all of us. I've mentioned that I am "pro-black" and that that means I am "pro-black ALL black people" no matter their background, their education, their sexual orientation, their religion or lack thereof. I am "for" us doing better on all accounts.

Black people in America have a history of discussing and working towards bettering ourselves. I don't think that this is the case for white America in regards to confronting and combating racist beliefs in particular. I'm sure it occurs within families in white America, as I know white friends/family members who have done so in their families, but for blacks we actually have many vocal people and academics who study the black inferiority complex, who study xenophobia in black America, and who study homophobia in black America and there is a constant debate with us on these things. Maybe whites do the same with racism, but I have not seen it occur to any wide degree and when I have seen it occur more frequently today (within the past 5 years in particular where there are forums/classes/studies that focus on "whiteness" - what it is, how it has impacted whites in America and sociological issues pertaining to how whites view other demographics) posters around here often disregard those things as hogwash and they do not come off as serious topics.

The black inferiority complex (blacks being racist against blacks) is a serious subject in black America as is homophobia (even though those who are homophobes get mad about us speaking about it a lot - they, like many conservatives buy into these "agendas" in regards to "the gays" lol). We also do consider the rise of black racists against other demographics as something that needs to be confronted and stopped and especially online there is always someone to challenge a black person who has some crazy, blatantly racist belief - similar to how I even confronted my elders about theirs. These sorts of beliefs need to be halted and not ignored, which encourages them to grow and remain problems for later generations.

Therefore, what I stated stands - black people cannot cure whites of their racism. Whites have to do this for themselves. Blacks have to do it for ourselves. We cannot cure each other's internal problems.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You should not stand by if you think something is wrong. I laid out what were a couple of tenets of conservatism, which is the ideology I assume you say I have accused. No one has denied, not one person, that the tenets I presented were not indeed conservative tenets. You can jump up and down and hoop and holler at me in discomfort....but that is not an argument. Those tenets, when applied to skews in black socioeconomic performance, implicitly suggest black innate inferiority as the explanation of the skews, because of its rejection of external causation.

How about dissecting my reasoning as opposed to attacking my delivery or me....or by trying to flip the script and accuse me?

It's like this.....you might have played games as a kid or with your kid and was deciding who or what gets picked and you might have used the phrase "Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Mo". Even though you had no intent on being racist and was not racist.....the origin of that saying is racist. In America, we often just PARROT things and beliefs we hear.....and adapt and repeat them without really thinking deeply of what it means or the implications. This is what I feel is happening with some tenets of conservatives. When you apply those tenets to certain scenarios, they make a racist argument. One might not be racist and have no intent on being races....BUT THE LINE OF REASONING YOU ARGUE IS RACIST.

I get it....you love saying Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Mo...
If you choose to feel this way and need to make your argument to make yourself feel better more power to you. At this point anything else said to you is an utter waste of internet space. Beat that dead horse. Not my problem.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
The word "racism" also seems to make a lot of White people uncomfortable. I've noticed this not only on this thread, but elsewhere on C-D, too.
No, being called racist bothers people. As it should.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
well... you can choose to be angry about everything like you are or you can choose to move forward. It's your life, your choice.

This is indicative of the myth I talked about earlier. The myth is that black people who talk abut the history of racism, as it relates to its impact on today, are seen as ANGRY FAILURES. I guess they are assumed to be ANGRY because they are assumed to be FAILURES.

That is highly inaccurate. The most conscious black people are generally educated and fairly successful and have had much contact with whites. I am certainly not angry and I am certainly not a "failure"....at least not in terms of income ( I did have a dream of playing in the NFL....and I did fail to reach it...but not angry because I did not make it).

Old 01-13-2019, 03:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Pretty obvious to me that the causes of economic inequality in the USA are a combination of past / current injustices and people making bad choices and not taking responsibility. Anyone who says it's 100% of one or the other is not to be listened to. There was real economic barriers that kept Blacks from getting the best jobs and not passing down wealth like most White families. It's also true that a higher percent of Blacks children up in single parent households which is very bad economically compared to two incomes paying one bill. That either is true doesn't negate the other. I know Black co workers with bad attitudes and behavior kept jobs they shouldn't have because management feared being called racist. I also know Black co workers who were quickly fired when I wouldn't have because my bosses viewed my as a fellow 'good ole boy'.

Yeahhhhh.....Nooo!

That is like saying that its partially injustice and partially inferiority. You cannot use a SYMPTOM or complication created from injustice (the gap between births out of wedlock)....and try to suggest that it is an issue that has NOTHING to do with the history of injustice. Blacks did not come from Africa with a tradition and culture of single parent households. Yet, after slavery ended, black single parent households were multiple times that of white households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies