Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You seem to believe that all blacks, and all whites, are homogeneous groups, not individuals. And all races can and do have individuals that like to play the victim card, blame others for their problems, look for reasons not to better themselves. In the white race, we have the KKK. They will tell ignorant individuals that others, particularly other races are "oppressing them". That others are the reason for their failures. That others get ahead because of their race, not intelligence or work ethic. Fortunately MOST white people reject those people as idiots.

No difference with the black race. The vast majority of black people are hard working, successful, productive and NOT in prison. Yet blacks have a collection of con artists that like to play the same game the KKK does. Individuals like Louis Farrakhan, one of the nation's most prominent and blatant racists. Jerry Wright, who got rich and famous pandering to racists for much of his life. And of course BLM-aka the Klan with a Tan.

Thankfully, like whites with the KKK, only a small percentage of blacks fall for that tripe.

Not buying it dude. It we ALL have these same propensities to keep us down....then none of those things could explain why blacks are down further than whites. Your "All races, including whites, have these type of people.....yadda yadda" says that there is NO distinction between the races in this regard. If there was no distinction there would be no difference. So what causes the difference if you say there is no distinction...following your point that ALL races have these type of people?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It is one of mine as well. So full of quotable quotes.

ETA - I am actually a very nice person and maybe you are too.

Yeah...maybe we can sit down together one day and watch old Western movies. I love Westerns. I never said you were not a good guy. Nothing I said means that you can't still basically be a good guy at heart and we probably would get along great if you are....because I consider myself a good guy too.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah...maybe we can sit down together one day and watch old Western movies. I love Westerns. I never said you were not a good guy. Nothing I said means that you can't still basically be a good guy at heart and we probably would get along great if you are....because I consider myself a good guy too.
LOL. I am a woman but I know what you mean.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
LOL. I am a woman but I know what you mean.

Well you being a women would make the movie that much more enjoyable...I don't know which one I would be watching...you or the movie...that is....until my wife found out.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Well you being a women would make the movie that much more enjoyable...I don't know which one I would be watching...you or the movie...that is....until my wife found out.
Ok dude. Don't make it creepy.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:52 PM

In all seriousness, from my observations of violent felons for decades the largest and most obvious failings were lack of family structure and education across all races. This is only my observation but it was many years and thousands of men. Some were family members housed together - fathers and sons, brothers, cousins, etc.

Last edited by redwood66; 01-13-2019 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
I can do either. Emotional or intellectual. I prefer intellectual and you just ran from it.....but again....it's not you....it's me.....lol

You are afraid of what a purely intellectual debate will expose about yourself.

Nothing says intellectual debate like taunting cat GIFs.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
This thread and a Mitt Romney accusation are not sufficient evidence for you to contend that the "race card" is a huge issue. That is simply confirmation bias on your part.

I was in no way insinuating that people falsely allege racism, but do remind yourself that dog-whistle racism is a prominent theme in American politics right now, so perhaps sometimes our paranoia is justifiable.

Do you want an example of dog-whistle racism? Google Ron Desantis' "monkey it up" remark. Anybody with a brain would know the term "monkey" has racial connotations to it, historically and figuratively speaking.
You prove my point.

The DeSantis quote is one of the examples in my thread,
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-we-have.html
which you dismiss but apparently are unable to respond to and disprove. In the thread I show that President Obama made a similar 'monkey' reference.
//www.city-data.com/forum/53209592-post75.html

Are you going to be consistent and say that Obama is a racist? Seriously???

Dog whistle=someone did not say what you would have liked them to say, so you doctor their quote to turn it into whatever statement you wish. It is a way of stuffing words in peoples' mouths, and a dishonest debate tactic.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
How is race discussed with children in black homes? It would be interesting to hear as I have no idea.

ETA: Does anyone think that parents in white homes would want to discuss race with their children in the current climate? It is and has been taboo for decades to even acknowledge race in any manner. It is even worse now. Any discussion of differences immediately is decried as racism even if none exists. So are we all the same or aren't we?
I agree with the OP that it is discussed differently in different black homes. I have two kids aged 16 and 10. For us, race has never been taboo and it wasn't in my own family when I was a kid either. My family members never shied away from acknowledging we were black and that there was nothing wrong with being black. Also that there was nothing wrong with other people being the heritage that they are born into and that the only issue we may have is someone saying something ignorant about our backgound.
Because I was raised to be comfortable being black, it was not a secret I was, I never have been bothered when I'm confronted by prejudice or racism too much and I could easily recognize, even as a child, when people did it to other ethnic groups.

Both of of my kids, I've discussed race with in some form or fashion since they were about 3-4 years old, mostly when they first got a white classmate. We lived in Atlanta then and it was very racially segregated (one of the reasons I wanted to move back to my hometown in the midwest, we are less segregated here than we were in Atlanta and I feel that it is important for kids to know other people of various backgrounds in order to see that racial stereotypes of all groups of people - including whites because black people often have stereotypical views of whites - are not true).

My son we just discussed ethnic origins mostly and how one of his friends who was blonde and very nordic looking had distant grandparents whose origins were different than our own. Basically, I don't shy away from differences so if they bring up the way someone looks, we will just speak openly and honestly about it in understanding of their age. Race is never taboo or a secret or anything to whisper about in our house. I encouraged him to ask his friend where his grandparents were from and I told my son where our grandparents/great grandparents were from and some of the ethnic origins I've discovered via genealogical research - people may think this is over a 4 year old's head, but it really wasn't. Both the boys spoke a lot about their ancestral origins after that and even included it in their play.

My daughter, hers was a bit more difficult because there was a little white girl who came to her daycare when she was 3 and my daughter was upset about this girl having longer, "prettier," hair than her own. The daycare owner often spoke admiringly about the little girl's hair and didn't say anything nice about my daughter's hair and my daughter picked up on that and she literally got a fixation on black vs white hair and short vs long hair for a couple of years. Mind you our daycare provider was a black woman who ran a small daycare out of her home and she primarily spoke lovingly of this little girl's appearance, including her hair, because the little girl's mother was very....I'll say overly critical about her 4 year old's daughter appearance (mostly her weight and saying the girl was "fat" or "too chunky" and it was disturbing to our daycare provider - she could see the girl's feelings were hurt by her mom saying these things so she gave her a lot of praise. My daughter is not spoken of negatively in regards to her looks so the provider didn't feel the need to do that with my daughter but my daughter thought the daycare provider thought she didn't have "pretty hair" like her friend S. She told me that the daycare provider liked S's hair cause S had long silky hair and was white. So we spoke a lot about hair and different textures and how all black or white people don't all have the same types of hair. Some white people have curly hair like she does some have straight hair like S some have wavy, in-between hair. Also that it wasn't prettier than hers, just different and that all healthy hair is pretty/nice looking. The long hair thing was more difficult for us than the race thing lol. I finally convinced my daughter when she was 5 that her hair wasn't short - my daughter's hair when straightened goes to her mid back but in it's natural curly state goes to her shoulders, neither length is short but a lot of her little black friends had weave as 3-5 year olds and she didn't believe me that they had weaves until one of her little black girl friends who always wore what are called "crochet braids" came to school without her braids and I pointed it out to her about how N's hair was now short and in it's natural/curly state and that it wasn't as long because she no longer had her extensions in. My daughter was like It was hilarious and we have had no more discussions about hair. However, my daughter was accused a couple years ago of being racist because she said that Mexicans make good tacos lol. I am sarcastic/funny so told her to tell those kids that said she was racist that her black mom makes good fried chicken. She thought that was funny but she didn't tell them she said lol. I speak to her a lot about racial issues because kids pick up on it a lot today in regards thinking that saying white or black means someone is racist. She knows what racism is. She has a lot of friends of various backgrounds and I encourage her to not be shy about admitting and acknowledging she is black and how being black is a wonderful thing to be because of our heritage and history. I also encourage her to see the beauty in her friends' heritage and backgrounds as well. Where we live there is a large amount of people of Polish descent in particular and her best friend is part Polish so she has learned that Polish food is delicious and about different aspects of Polish heritage as well of her friend's family. I've discussed a lot of what I learned from my own Polish friends when I was a girl as one of my best friends was Polish too when I was little. Her grandmother never even learned to speak English and taught me a few Polish words.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 PM

Thank you for your great post. You are a lovely mom who obviously cares that your kids are grounded, thoughtful, and curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies