Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That is an unfavorable opinion, especially among most Vermonters and progressives who support the platform that has come to define him. But at this point, there are more things about another Sanders run at the White House that concern us than excite us.

In this space, we have repeatedly hit the senator on where his loyalties lay: Vermont or a bigger calling? We have asked him to make a choice, which he would argue was his recent re-election to Congress. But in his previous run for the presidency, Sanders, an independent who ran for the White House as a Democrat, missed dozens of votes that likely would have helped Vermonters. And, while he handily defeated his challenger, can Vermonters point to Sanders’ record and say definitively, “This is what he’s done for us?”

While he makes regular visits “home,” you are more likely to catch Sanders on Colbert, CNN or MSNBC than you are to see him talking to reporters here in Vermont. Evidently, microphones here don’t extend far enough.

But that’s not our greatest concern. We fear a Sanders run risks dividing the well-fractured Democratic Party, and could lead to another split in the 2020 presidential vote. There is too much at stake to take that gamble. If we are going to maintain a two-party system, the mandate needs to be a clear one. There is strength in numbers, and if anything has been shown in recent years, it is that unless tallies are overwhelming, there can always be questions or challenges raised over what “vote totals” really mean: popular vote vs. Electoral College results.

https://www.timesargus.com/opinion/p...ZcjTp7T4n_n0kY

Same thing could be said about anyone else trying to run as a Democrat in 2020 race but I doubt that those guys would write an article starting with: “Kamala Harris/Joe Biden/Kristen Gillibrand/Corey Booker should not run for president. In fact, we beg him/her not to,"

Basically here's what they are saying: "Non establishment candidates should not run for President."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
This sure doesn’t seem like a way to unite the party lol

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I think only a moderate Democrat should run for president. Someone who could get votes from both sides and unite us again.

Sanders isn't really a Vermonter anyway; he's a New Yorker, and Vermonters aren't that progressive. He really should stay in Vermont and see what he can get accomplished there. The state needs jobs.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
They may have some small pictures arguments. All politicians that seek higher offices spend little time in their home state. I suppose that can be a good argument.

What they do not understand is the big picture. It's not about Sanders. Sanders can drop out and disappear and the divide in the corporate part of the party and the people part is not going to go away.

If not Sanders, it will be someone else.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I can not stand Bernie Sanders and his 2016 "Bernie or Bust" had a Kremlin smell to it

Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think only a moderate Democrat should run for president. Someone who could get votes from both sides and unite us again.

Sanders isn't really a Vermonter anyway; he's a New Yorker, and Vermonters aren't that progressive. He really should stay in Vermont and see what he can get accomplished there. The state needs jobs.
I agree with you. There needs to be a moderate on top of the ticket, with an energetic and appealing VP candidate. Respect and confidence for the office of the President and for our country needs to be restored.

I belong to neither political party but I hope our country can heal these wide rifts in the future.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I agree with you. There needs to be a moderate on top of the ticket, with an energetic and appealing VP candidate. Respect and confidence for the office of the President and for our country needs to be restored.

I belong to neither political party but I hope our country can heal these wide rifts in the future.
Bernie is a moderate, the rest are radicals.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
I hope he does run again. Let him split the vote, and hopefully a 3rd party candidate does well and gets a bunch of votes too. I'd love to see the winner from whatever party have a record low popular vote so people could whine and complain. Make 2016 look like a landslide victory for Trump.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

He's not a Democrat either.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
He's not a Democrat either.
So what?

Andrew Jackson was a democrat and also a terrorist.

What does his presidential qualities signify in terms of his party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies