Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, the head and antlers are usually left attached in the process of caping out an elk. These parts may hold religious significance for a tribal member as well. It's a non issue from my front porch. I have never trophy hunted in my life but I always took the head and antlers. I used the antlers for making knife handles and all sorts of other stuff.
Elk & Moose brains, make the best jello!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

One thing the Indians did with their game they took was use most EVERYTHING. Tendons, sinew, antlers, guts and brains. I can't find any fault in that.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No Chronic Wasting Disease where you are?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Indians have the right to hunt on their own lands whenever they want-unlike say every other American. Poaching wildlife off the res that belongs to all Americans is wrong and illegal-at least in the state of Wyoming. Our laws should apply to all Americans, not exempt some due to their race.

On some of the reservations, Indians "sport killing" and lack of management has largely eliminated wildlife.
This is 100% true.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Can anyone explain how this case lines up with the concept of " equal treatment under the law " ?

OR are some people MORE equal than others ? Just askin...
I buy a license I can hunt. You don't, you can't. You pay for the permission to hunt. (Let's ignore for a moment whether it should be that way, it is)

The Tribe gave up their land and in return they kept the right to freely hunt on the land. You have land to cede to the government for the right to hunt?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
One thing the Indians did with their game they took was use most EVERYTHING. Tendons, sinew, antlers, guts and brains. I can't find any fault in that.
They don’t now. There are countless articles on wasting animals during the annual bison hunt at Yellowstone. Personally I have seen quite a number of wasted cases on Ft. Peck Indian reservation. Non- natives can hunt upland birds and waterfowl but not big game. I cover a lot of ground on foot with my dogs and I can’t count how mule deer my dogs have found that maybe only back loins were removed, or just the hams, sometimes lying whole but shot, some with just the heads removed.

Thinking they always used ‘everything’ is a conjured fantasy of the past.

Oh and back then? They routinely burned the prairie to force a stampede towards places called Buffalo Jumps- cliffs where the majority of the herd plunged to their deaths. Maybe multiple hundreds or more.

You think they processed all that? Hahahaha!!

Get real.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No. In Wyoming, rabbits are game animals and can 0only be hunted during the proper season, with a rabbit license.

However, in Montana they are varmints and can be hunted anytime (with permission of the landowner if on private property), just like gophers.
Be careful about hunting gophers, though. Do not mistake a prairie dog for a gopher. Prairie dogs are a protected species, because they are food for black footed ferrets, which are also a protected species.

Another thought, I find it very interesting that the hunter in question packed out the head and antlers from one of the elk. Antlers make very poor soup for a "subsistence hunter"!

In Montana, Prairie Dogs are classified as a non-game species and agricultural pest. They can be hunted any time.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In Montana, Prairie Dogs are classified as a non-game species and agricultural pest. They can be hunted any time.
A quick google search says that isnt true.

They seem to be on a middle ground. You cant hunt them on public land, and you can only "manage" them on private lands as they are indeed protected, you can not point blank just go hunting for them. You basically have to submit a form saying they are a problem on your land for what ever reason, and then you can "manage" them however you see fit. you can only use Montana certified poisons to "manage" them as well. This happened in September of 2002

Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't laugh. It's an issue in most states. From overshooting the bag limits to hunting out of season to hunting without a license.

Here in Maryland you hear about it more for things like oysters and rockfish than land animals, although there are still a few guys who night gun for waterfowl and deer.
Okay! Well, I learned something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The problem with this "I was hunting to feed my family" claim was that it could be later used by any hunter as an excuse. How you address that is difficult.
Well, maybe he should kill smaller game that wouldn’t draw attention.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Okay! Well, I learned something........
A couple examples, I know the first was awhile ago.

8 Rock Hall Men Charged With Striped Bass Violations - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

https://www.bayjournal.com/article/r...al_prison_term

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...627-story.html

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...121255949.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies