Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm going to pull a page from the pro-gun activists: enforce the laws we already have. We don't need a compromise to start cracking down on loop holes.
Fair enough. Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'm just talking about how to compromise and get past this impasse. Present tense. This doesn't address what to do if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your post.

I think my idea would help us get past the impasse. Democrats would get what they want. No wall funding (right away). President Trump could also claim victory too because there will be funding for boarder security (dump into enforcement of e-verify for example) and his wall will be approved and funded (but it will only kick in if it's needed after other measures). Heck, you could even make the wall fully funded if you want. Set a point where illegal immigration has to be for funding to stop.

And most important, the American people win too because under this sort of agreement, current laws are better enforced and a wall would be build (but only if it's really needed and to the extent it's needed after enforcing the laws on the books). Plus the government opens and taxpayer dollars aren't being wasted anymore and those who rely on the government for employment, or for their businesses, or for veterans benefits, or for food stamps, or whatever, aren't left hanging anymore.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
The poll is missing so many other options. But...

About 6% of new citizens (.07% of all citizens) - and falling fast - are granted citizenship through birthright.

I am not interested in changing the constitution to battle a non-existent problem.

If this is that important to you, just restrict visas given to pregnant tourists. But make sure the law applies to all countries across the globe, not just those with people you think don't "deserve" US Citizenship.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The problem with trying to make deals with Trump is that fact that he will dishonor the agreement as soon as it is convenient to him.

Ending birthright citizenship would require a constitutional amendment.

GOP could have started that process decades ago if that was what they wanted.

Yes, to the e-verify suggestion.

Agreed with Finn above about the birthright citizenship. Not so easy to simply "change".

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
I'm okay with the suggestion re: e-verify, but I don't think we should end birthright citizenship.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.
While I voted yes in the poll I would rather change the mechanics of birthright citizenship, as that would not require a constitutional amendment. My proposal would be if you are born on US soil when neither parent is a US citizens, after you turn 18, and are legally an adult, you may apply for citizenship if you so desire, it would automatically be approved and can not be turned down for any reason. Until you are actually 18, and can decide for yourself that you want to be a US citizen, your citizenship will be that of your birth parents, unless you are legally adopted by US citizen parents. Where you are living at the time of the application would be immaterial. This will eliminate whole families getting permanent residency based on caring for their one US citizen infant they managed to pop out on US soil.

You also forgot the need to end chain migration.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why should we end BR citizenship? What did your ancestors do that gave them a more valid claim for citizenship for their children than an immigrant from Central America today?
My Grandparents emigrated as teenagers (NOT rushing a border with rocks and fire bombs) through Ellis Island.
Their families had to be evaluated Medically, they had to have a Sponsor and a Job and they had to prove they had MONEY to live on for 3 months. THEN, they studied and became American Citizens.
They never were on the Public Dole ....

My Mother was actually born after her parents married and became Citizens, but even if that were not the case ...... MY ancestors and most others followed United States LAW when they Emigrated.

Bottom Line for me has always been -- Follow the LAW
I will never understand Democrats and Leftists putting illegal border jumpers above United States Citizens and Taxpayers. I will never understand (or support) anyone who openly advocates breaking US Law. I would certainly never vote for them OR their Party.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
My Grandparents emigrated as teenagers (NOT rushing a border with rocks and fire bombs) through Ellis Island.
Their families had to be evaluated Medically, they had to have a Sponsor and a Job and they had to prove they had MONEY to live on for 3 months. THEN, they studied and became American Citizens.
They never were on the Public Dole ....

My Mother was actually born after her parents married and became Citizens, but even if that were not the case ...... MY ancestors and most others followed United States LAW when they Emigrated.

Bottom Line for me has always been -- Follow the LAW
I will never understand Democrats and Leftists putting illegal border jumpers above United States Citizens and Taxpayers.

Birthright citizenship applies to children of folks who are in this country legally, too. You understand that, correct?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
how would you enforce #2 in sanctuary states like CA where they passed out laws to prohibited public and private employers from cooperating with immigration authority such as ICE?

also, not all illegals work for mega-farms or factories where they have thousands of employees. A lot of illegals, especially in large cities, work for small mom&pop restaurants and business.....or they just work for themselves

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
While I voted yes in the poll I would rather change the mechanics of birthright citizenship, as that would not require a constitutional amendment. My proposal would be if you are born on US soil when neither parent is a US citizens, after you turn 18, and are legally an adult, you may apply for citizenship if you so desire, it would automatically be approved and can not be turned down for any reason. Until you are actually 18, and can decide for yourself that you want to be a US citizen, your citizenship will be that of your birth parents, unless you are legally adopted by US citizen parents. Where you are living at the time of the application would be immaterial. This will eliminate whole families getting permanent residency based on caring for their one US citizen infant they managed to pop out on US soil.

You also forgot the need to end chain migration.

I like that idea, as well. Not sure of any legal implications given the historical SCOTUS rulings on the matter, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies