Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
The two ruling parties have set up rules at the state level in many states making it very difficult for third parties to get on the ballot.

There are quite a few third parties but even the top three have no chance of making much headway against the Republicans and Democrats. The Green Party isn't going to attract enough members or voters; the Libertarians aren't going to with some of their off the wall beliefs like open borders; and the Constitution Party is too rigid in its platform to attract enough members or voters.

And there are many parties with small membership totals. Many are very fringe and know they'll never get large membership numbers (at least I think they realize that). There have been third parties that gained decent support at one time or another that later saw the party destruct from the inside once members with more extreme views gained leadership positions, which led to people dropping out.

Over the last several years I have thought about starting a new party, but lately have wondered if it might not be more prudent to get a large coalition of voters to influence candidates and our elected leaders. That may be just as effective, especially if its backed up with campaign donations from those that wish to give.

Whether it's a new third party or several newly elected leaders, probably independents, that would truly be accountable to their constituents (including our nationwide coalition of voters), the best strategy would be to aim for Senate seats where they'd have the most power, not counting the presidency of course. Democrats and Republicans would be forced to work with them to get enough votes and also to prevent filibusters.

One of these days when I can afford a good website with good security against hacking, etc., and advertising to get the word out, I probably will start a new party or make an attempt to get a coalition of voters to come together to influence our politicians to actually do the work of the people, not just their big money donors.
Good post. The bold is the better idea IMO. Just electing reps and Senators won't accomplish much the new ones end up looking like the rest. What voters need is leverage and if they think their little vote mattered or was some heavy duty leverage they are delusional. Big time donors or your average voter who has more leverage? We all know the answer and why.

Newt Gingrich had a grass roots org that did polling and found many issues the left and right agreed on and their aim was to grow and lobby congress to bring those issues to a vote. It sort of fizzed out and nothing became of that groups efforts. With that said I still think the org. was on the right track and if it would have grown it would have gained some leverage.

I just wonder how hard it would be to get millions to back a platform and demand the issues be taken up for vote? Example, social security reform a issue that is hardly discussed now a days? If their was a poll in the forum a large bi partisan majority would agree social security needs to be reformed. A good starting point IMO would be Simpson/Bowles.

Cutting spending, I wonder if millions of people would be for forcing a up and down vote for 1 penny to be cut from every dollar? a 1% cut straight across the board. As you have witnessed now a days our leaders run from votes and get help from their majority leaders. Just like this shut down where Mitch won't bring anything to the floor unless he is sure he has the votes and Trump will sign it.

In other words the voters if they were smart would form a lobby so big they could not be denied. It would be campaign finance reform, who is a leader going to listen to? a lobbyist with a cash donation or a org with millions of voters? Good luck you what ever you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I’m over the fringe of both parties. The Dems are becoming too liberal and the GOP has been crazy for awhile. I really need a centrist party.
So go ahead and form one. Nobody's stopping you.

It will take votes away from the party you would have voted for if you only had two. So the party you liked less, becomes more likely to win.

That's the reason we have only two major parties, in case you hadn't already figured it out.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So go ahead and form one. Nobody's stopping you.

It will take votes away from the party you would have voted for if you only had two. So the party you liked less, becomes more likely to win.

That's the reason we have only two major parties, in case you hadn't already figured it out.
Shhhh.....you're ruining their fantasy!

This is no different than when they say they're for world peace or want to stop world hunger....do they send food or stop tyrants/criminals...NO! It's just a platitute to make them feel superior while doing nothing themselves.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We need less govt, not more teams
^^^^^^^^This, instead of more major parties, we need to get rid of all parties, no more parties!

Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
you lost me at end of pro-choice, no mention of LGBTQ rights, no legal cannabis
It's not supposed to be a liberal party. And it's not supposed to be a conservative party, either.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You can suggest all you want, but it's completely false to claim that the religious right is being marginalized. The Tea Party is overtly Christian and the Freedom Caucus pretty much is too, and they control the GOP. The GOP is moving ever rightward and doesn't come remotely close to reflecting the center.
It doesn't matter what the GOP does. For better or worse (I say worse) the Christian right lost the culture wars a long time ago. We have gay marriage, transgendered bathrooms, legalized marijuana, shooting galleries for junkies (a word nobody but me uses because drug addicts are no longer judged). We have become soft on crime, even Republicans (which are moving to the left not right) are signing bills to release criminals, The American family is all but dead except in $100k+ households.Over 50% of children are born out of wedlock and nobody cares, even Republicans. We no longer call bast*rds bast*rds. Church attendance is down. Most young people are not religious. Every person under 50 is all tatted up. I could go on and on. We have moved far, far away from traditional Christian values.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Oh please, both major parties suck and place their own interests ahead of both the country and its people.
100% correct. Yet it’s easier to let someone else speak or think for you then discover the facts for oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies