Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Bigger than deaths by opiods?
Bigger than folks going bankrupt due to healthcare issues?

I think not
#whataboutism

What about DUI deaths
What about diabetes

Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
#whataboutism

What about DUI deaths
What about diabetes
DUI is another one. We are talking national emergency. Number of deaths count.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
DUI is another one. We are talking national emergency. Number of deaths count.
If that were the case we'd not even have gun deaths on radar because the % is so low overall. Especially those by an AR or AK.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
You realize that when illegals cross the border that a border town isn't their destination?

You're good!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I tried to walk across with some pills bought in Tijuana - and I made it.

So things are bad. Very bad.

There are 48 legal border crossings between the US and Mexico used by 1 million people a day, every day.

Most illegal drugs enter the US via the legal border crossings, concealed in cargo, vehicles and on people. Drones and boats are also used. Tunnels, while a spectacular optic, are rare.

It is reasonable to assume a percentage of Customs, Immigration, DEA and Border Patrol.

I bear no physical resemblance to Hispanic. My name is as Anglo as they come. My passport does not contain evidence of atypical travel patterns. Like you, I have crossed the Tijuana border on foot. Unlike you, I did not have any substance on me. Nonetheless, I was waved through. No one made eye contact with me. No dogs sniffed me. I could have have easily hidden 25 pounds of heroin with a street value of about $1 million on my person.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The economy of my state would come crashing down faster than a drug smuggler can breach Trump's wall if immigrant labor were cut off/expelled. So would that of all the border states and many interior ones as well. Illegals and now their descendants make up a huge part of the workforce here. We simply do not have enough people to meet the demand for labor in the fast growing sun belt. That is not to say we should have open borders or porous ones like now. It would be far better to have an orderly system that supplies employers with necessary labor, one where seasonal and demand workers could return to their homes and not have to sneak back in if they leave. But agreement on that is impossible so what we have is, unfortunately, the best we are going to come up with.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 AM

[quote=FelixTheCat;54107290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

Yeah, I know. Illegal Immigration isn't an event. It's a multi decade system.

And it's not just Democrats promoting it, it's Republicans going along. It's the ruling class wanting surfs. They want the illegals to be surfs and the lower 50% of Americans too. Either as cheap workers or as voters.
I don’t know about “ ruling class”.

Small employers and households are the primary employers of undocumented people.

Large scale employers do the eVerify thing, regardless of a state law requiring them to do so. This does not mean they don’t use independent contractors who hire undocumented people.

The US masses want the benefits of cheap labor and blame government for the consequences.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The economy of my state would come crashing down faster than a drug smuggler can breach Trump's wall if immigrant labor were cut off/expelled. So would that of all the border states and many interior ones as well. Illegals and now their descendants make up a huge part of the workforce here. We simply do not have enough people to meet the demand for labor in the fast growing sun belt. That is not to say we should have open borders or porous ones like now. It would be far better to have an orderly system that supplies employers with necessary labor, one where seasonal and demand workers could return to their homes and not have to sneak back in if they leave. But agreement on that is impossible so what we have is, unfortunately, the best we are going to come up with.
Your state requires all private/ public employers to use eVerify, no?

Your state has an intentional loophole that purposely excludes the requirement to verify independent contractors, no?

Seems to me your state encourages the engagement of independent contractors. Ask no questions. Pay cash. Avoid Payroll Taxes. Sweet !

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80’s. It peaked during the first half of the 2000’s. Has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. They collectively kicked the can - the primary incentive for illegal immigration- employment.

Thus far, it looks like Trump is no different.

I don’t hear Trump using the bully pulpet to push for eVerify.

Instead, he wants $5 billion for the wall that will costs an unknown multiple of that.

Where is the plan for the wall? Is it a wall or a fence or something else? How high? What composition? How much private land must be seized by Eminent Domain? What willl that cost, including appeals? What is the ongoing cost to maintain and repair the wall? What is the projected useful life of the wall before it must be replaced? How long will it take, whatever it is, to construct?

Where is the plan?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Any time we can do something to help stop this type of stuff we need to do it. We do not want MS-13 and the like to get a stronghold here. Who knows , it might even be too late.

Build the damn wall, add more security, drones , etc... whatever it takes.

3 illegal immigrants arrested with $200K worth of meth in Gaston County - Story | WJZY

Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Liberals who put illegal aliens first...over Americans, are the traitors.
You’re exactly correct! Hector Garza, VP of the National Border Patrol Council was on TV the other day talking about how much it would help the Border Patrol do their job if there was a wall! He’s been on the Border Patrol for 18 years. He said that people that have never seen the situation up close but that are against a wall simply don’t know what they’re talking about! Active Border Patrol agents are better qualified to offer an opinion than Schumer and Pelosi!

Around here they’re putting 7-8 foot tall fences and walls around schools to make them more secure! Funny that they work there and for other countries but some geniuses here don’t think they’re effective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies