Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I had an aunt with a chihuahua, it was a mean thing and if you went too close to her while it as by her side it would snap at you. Never once did I feel compelled to shoot it.
You're not violent enough.

Back to the State-mandated indoctrination center for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
It is amazing that there was a day in america when postmen would deliver our mail to our doorsteps and never carry a gun.
/thread

/fricken thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:07 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Being a dog person, I could never bring myself to shoot a dog or wild dog, even if someone is being attacked. In such a circumstance, I would more opt to step in and wrestle that dog. Stupid? Yes. However, that is how deep my love for dogs goes.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Socializing a dog is always important. If not corrected, any dog's natural tendencies become protective, and when that happens, trouble follows.

Chihuahuas are well known to have a cranky disposition, but they're no different than any other dog. When corrected properly, they're just as sociable and friendly as any other dog is.

You must have done a good job with yours.

It often doesn't take very much to show a pup who's the boss, but since the Chihuahuas are so little and delicate looking, I think it's likely too many of their owners would rather cut them slack for bad behavior than hurting their delicate little feelings.

That probably comes from how much folks think of their dog as being their fur baby.

A grown Chi may be tiny, but it's still a full-grown dog, and dogs do not think of themselves as being babies when they're grown. In their minds, they are just as big and serious as any other dog.

The entire fur baby thing often puts a real conflict into the relationship between man and dog. Once any dog understands the human is the boss, he's a happier dog who knows his place in life.

A really happy dog is a dog who feels very secure and respected at his position on the bottom of the totem pole.
Work is nothing for a dog. They love a job. But being the family's decision maker is hell for a dog, and none of them want it.

The big thing for all dogs is the assurance that everything is cool. Dogs always want everyone to be contented and cool with what's going on. They are happiest when comfortable and secure in their life's role in their pack.

Dogs are quite happy being at the bottom of the family totem pole because it's secure. A dog who doesn't know just who the boss is will decide for itself who that person is. If there is no likely person who appears to be the boss, the dog will decide to take that job on itself.

And once the dog is the boss, no one in a family is happy. Dogs rule their packs quite a lot harsher than human families are ruled, and that's when the real bad behavior starts.

And then the dog goes to the pound. I wish folks would take the time to learn how to train a dog before they get one much more often than they do. It would really cut down on the misery that comes from ignorance.
I can't take full credit, as she was about a year old when I received her. I think to a certain degree that she's just naturally good-natured, and it probably helped, too, that she was part of a pack, and not treated as a living toy. I do know that I never treated her differently than any other dog I've had, other than to provide an indoor toilet for her in harsh weather.

One thing that can really mess up a dog is mixed messages. I moved back in with my parents at one point, for our mutual benefit - it saved me money, and they were both ill and needed help. I had a Pomeranian. My mom spoiled that dog rotten and was very over-protective of him; my dad did not like dogs, and the dog knew it. I loved my parents dearly, but neither one was a good pack leader. I'm sure you can imagine how confusing this must have been for that poor dog. He developed some issues with territorial aggression, and became very shy and defensive with other dogs. Interestingly enough, the problems pretty much resolved themselves as soon as I was back on my own. By the time I lived with other people and their pets again, he was back to his normal, friendly self.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:40 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
It is amazing that there was a day in america when postmen would deliver our mail to our doorsteps and never carry a gun.
They can actually refuse to deliver to a house where there is an unrestrained dog that is acting aggressively towards them.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Being a dog person, I could never bring myself to shoot a dog or wild dog, even if someone is being attacked. In such a circumstance, I would more opt to step in and wrestle that dog. Stupid? Yes. However, that is how deep my love for dogs goes.

I love dogs too. Deeply. Growing up as I did far and away from other kids my age my best friends and playmates were our dogs cats and horses. However over time I shot and killed both coyotes and wild dogs and was happy to do so. Feral dogs are vicious and nasty killers. So are yotes. They targeted my friends. Specifically horses and barncats and were fond of cattle and sheep as well.

In short they were enemies. I fervently hope you are never faced with a situation where you have to face feral dogs. At the very least your moral standards will land you in the trauma ward with a helicopter ride. Best wishes moving forward that you are never faced with feral and/or vicious dogs. Bear in mind how strong and fast dogs are. Trying to bare hand wrestle these critters is a fools venture. They WILL win.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-11-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the book on "How to wrestle a charging pit bull". That's a good read.

Seriously though, he should of definitely just cracked his baton on the ground warning the little dog. Works almost all of the time.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
In terms of dogs, different laws apply in relation to different setting.

For instance if a dog is on privare land is not on a lead and is worrying or attacking livestock, then in many countries it an be legally shot by the land owner.

Similarly if a dog is out of control and is threatening public safety then again it can be shot. The dog must however be seriously out of control and not on a lead or muzzled.

However if a dog is on your own property and poses no real danger to the public at large then there is no reason to shoot the dog.

The officer was fired for firing his service weapon that injured an animal while in close proximity to a citizen, with the police chief stating "I believe there were numerous opportunities to de-escalate the incident."

The dogs owner may now wish to take out a prosecution against the police, who are going to have a tough time in court persuading a Judge that the chihuahua posed a serious danger and was threatening public safety. Whilst prosecutors are examing criminal charges against the officer.

I think the police will be so embarrased they may just pay compensation to resolve the vase before it reaches the civil courts, as they could end up looking pretty stupid in court.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
This is totally ****ed up regardless of how the apologists try to explain this away. People with common sense can see through the bull ****.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:07 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
The cop warned the guy he'd shoot the dog if it came at him. The dog owner, with no control of his animals, continued to be noncompliant. The guy is lucky it was the dog that was shot and not him.

The worst thing is if you as an authority clearly warn someone something is going to happen, give them a chance for it not to happen, and they ignore you. Then they are surprised it happened. The poor dog had no chance. This is the dog owner's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies