Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,179,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I walk about two miles through a nearby downtown area almost every day. Almost every day I pass someone right on the sidewalk, puffing away at a cigarette. Today I saw a man oddly facing some bushes, standing in a huddled manner. I thought he might be urinating into the bushes, but no, he was doing something far worse: smoking a cigarette.

I'm familiar with the controversies over 'fat shaming,' and would never engage in something like that. But smoke-shaming to me is different. You're fouling the air that everyone else has to breath. It is actually illegal here to smoke within 25 feet of a building entrance, but people violate that all the time. I even see people walking along smoking, which means they are racking up one violation after another.

If I can catch their eye I will give them a dirty look, and maybe pretend to cough. If been thinking of ratcheting this up by saying things to them, but haven't come up with a good line yet. What do you think?
I think you are a jerk looking for something to get ticked about, honestly. You did not even know the guy whom you thought was urinating was smoking. You had to work yourself up to getting annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM

128 posts, read 97,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I knew an angry man who chased someone who tried to scold him for smoking into a building and into an elevator where he pushed him down, sat on his chest and put his cigarette out in the poor fellow's eye

Indeed. I don't think its possible to "shame" some smokers; I've made comments to a few and they've wanted to go to war with me!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,640,760 times
Look, if you need your nicotine, there are patches or vape products as alternatives, if you need weed, they have oils and other products for that too. There is absolutely no reason to create toxic smoke into the environment!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Look, if you need your nicotine, there are patches or vape products as alternatives, if you need weed, they have oils and other products for that too. There is absolutely no reason to create toxic smoke into the environment!
Damn right, so your going after drivers too. The primary product of driving is a highly toxic gas, and there are myriad less toxic substances, and carcinogens too.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,090,639 times
It's only a matter of time before they ban smoking outside, since it's involuntarily shared space.

With this in mind,

1. Ban all smoking outside in public view, anywhere where the airspace is shared with others.
2. Lift the indoor smoking ban to permit smoking in private members-only adult-only bars and/or clubs.

Even this won't make the control freaks happy, though.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 01-10-2019 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Damn right, so your going after drivers too. The primary product of driving is a highly toxic gas, and there are myriad less toxic substances, and carcinogens too.
Lets ban BBQ’s and their toxic smoke while we’re at it! People can cook meat indoors on the stove.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I have never used tobacco products in my life, nor will I ever, and I know they have been referred to as "coffin nails" since the late 1800's. I have lost several friends due to cigarette smoking. But still, I will go to bat to defend anyone's right to use tobacco, in any form.

Some people get enjoyment from the act of smoking that goes beyond satisfying a nicotine addiction. Who am I to say they don't have a right to that enjoyment? But don't say it is because it is polluting your air. Unless you are in a confined, un-ventilated space, a smoker poses no health threat to you (unless you give them a dirty look, lol).

Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,090,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I have never used tobacco products in my life, nor will I ever, and I know they have been referred to as "coffin nails" since the late 1800's. I have lost several friends due to cigarette smoking. But still, I will go to bat to defend anyone's right to use tobacco, in any form.

Some people get enjoyment from the act of smoking that goes beyond satisfying a nicotine addiction. Who am I to say they don't have a right to that enjoyment? But don't say it is because it is polluting your air. Unless you are in a confined, un-ventilated space, a smoker poses no health threat to you.
We are way past this. The rabid non-smoking control freaks have been brainwashed into thinking that even if they smell smoke on a smoker who isn't even smoking they will get cancer.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Lets ban BBQ’s and their toxic smoke while we’re at it! People can cook meat indoors on the stove.
I read, though cant confirm accuracy, that the average BBQ cook inhales more carcinogens cooking BBQ than smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Banning BBQ will also keep the vegans happy, they won't have to suffer the aroma of cooking meat, and possibly feeling guilty for thinking that smells good.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I think that's highly unlikely! Particularly given long-term crime trends! I haven't seen many assault cases rooted in dirty looks or fake coughs!
Hey if 0.5% of the population would do it (taking the risk of not getting caught) It only takes an average if 200 dirty looks for an ER visit. If you're real lucky you'll get it the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies