Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Hey if 0.5% of the population would do it (taking the risk of not getting caught) It only takes an average if 200 dirty looks for an ER visit. If you're real lucky you'll get it the first time.
I get the sense that your assertion is well-grounded in sound data! Let's face it, America is dangerous! Don't get involved in things with strangers! Everyone knows crimes in this regard are getting worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I walk about two miles through a nearby downtown area almost every day. Almost every day I pass someone right on the sidewalk, puffing away at a cigarette. Today I saw a man oddly facing some bushes, standing in a huddled manner. I thought he might be urinating into the bushes, but no, he was doing something far worse: smoking a cigarette.

I'm familiar with the controversies over 'fat shaming,' and would never engage in something like that. But smoke-shaming to me is different. You're fouling the air that everyone else has to breath. It is actually illegal here to smoke within 25 feet of a building entrance, but people violate that all the time. I even see people walking along smoking, which means they are racking up one violation after another.

If I can catch their eye I will give them a dirty look, and maybe pretend to cough. If been thinking of ratcheting this up by saying things to them, but haven't come up with a good line yet. What do you think?
Get over it?

I answered that the only time I would say something is if they were doing it right next to kids - not because of "muh 2nd hand smoke" but because it should be taught that smoking is not a good thing to do, and doing it in front of kids is rude, I think. Not that the smoker may care, but I'd still ask them not to. I wouldn't be an ahole about it, however.

The fact is, whether you're pushing not smoking, veganism, or whatever other thing that people get all outraged about, when you do it in a manner that makes the other person defensive, they are not going to listen to you at all. Giving the "stink eye" is just passive aggressive behavior, and I have no respect for that.

So you pass a smoker - okay. Hold your breath like I do when I have to pass buy where people are smoking their disgusting skunk stench marijuana. It's a vile, nasty stench, but it's legal here, anyway, so...hold your breath. At least cigarette smoke doesn't linger like marijuana so it's not hard to hold your breath until you pass, while marijuana smoke lingers and drifts a lot further because the smell is so strong. Either way, it's legal - so you're going to have to suck it up and deal.

You can b*tch about it, I don't have a problem with that, in fact, I would agree with you - b*tch about it all you want to your friends, or forums - but b*tching about it to the person doing it is not going to get you the desired results, so why are you wasting your time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Remember when they passed the law prohibiting a business owner from permitting his customers to engage in a legal activity within the confines of his business? Where were you then?
This! You get a rep point for that because that's exactly why people are "breaking the law" by smoking within x amount of feet of a building. Who wants to smoke in the middle of the street? Should have let the businesses make the decision, not force them to ban smoking. If you don't want to be around it, don't go to that business. But no, we can't have that with all the busy bodies in this country trying to tell everyone else how to live.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

.... If I can catch their eye I will give them a dirty look, and maybe pretend to cough. If been thinking of ratcheting this up by saying things to them, but haven't come up with a good line yet. What do you think?
I think you have control issues. Apparently you've found that attempting to shame strangers with dirty looks and pretend coughs doesn't get you the "read my mind and toe my line" results you want. So now you want to try more direct confrontations on people who have been minding their own business and ignoring you sticking your nose into their business. I think your intentions to confront people might be a successful way for you to end up with a cigarette burn on your nose (or worse) and a face full of smoke (or worse) since that seems to be what you're looking for.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
I will not shame a hot woman for being smoking hot!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I hate cigarette smoke. It really interferes with the bouquet of my cigars.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Get over it?

So you pass a smoker - okay. Hold your breath like I do when I have to pass buy where people are smoking their disgusting skunk stench marijuana. It's a vile, nasty stench, but it's legal here, anyway, so...hold your breath. At least cigarette smoke doesn't linger like marijuana so it's not hard to hold your breath until you pass, while marijuana smoke lingers and drifts a lot further because the smell is so strong. Either way, it's legal - so you're going to have to suck it up and deal.
You actually strengthen my point, and I meant to mention this. Marijuana is now legal in Washington State, so now you can't really telling whether they're smoking tobacco or marijuana. I have friends who work in jobs where they are drug tested after any mishap exceeding $250 of loss/damage for the company. They worry all the time about losing their jobs due to second hand marijuana smoke.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Good news, the smoke shamers are winning 9-4, and a combined 12-4 when you add the sometime smoke-shamers. Normally CD posters seem to have a tough time seeing the common sense of my proposals, but this time they get it.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I get the sense that your assertion is well-grounded in sound data! Let's face it, America is dangerous! Don't get involved in things with strangers! Everyone knows crimes in this regard are getting worse!
Well just think road rage, or swatting, or a bunch of other violent acts brought on by trivia.

It's not just America that's dangerous, life is in general. However I can say with absolute certainty, shooting people dirty looks has a higher chance of causing premature death than second hand smoke.

But hey, whatever, lay that body down in front of a 'dozer to support of a cause you believe in. I'll watch the re-runs on YouTube.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
You actually strengthen my point, and I meant to mention this. Marijuana is now legal in Washington State, so now you can't really telling whether they're smoking tobacco or marijuana. I have friends who work in jobs where they are drug tested after any mishap exceeding $250 of loss/damage for the company. They worry all the time about losing their jobs due to second hand marijuana smoke.
It is pretty easy to tell the difference between cigarette smoke and marijuana smoke.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It is pretty easy to tell the difference between cigarette smoke and marijuana smoke.
Not when your nose is so far up your ass you can't tell what time if day it is.

Did I say that out loud?

Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies