Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
You’re a rarity.

Also, you’re saying you assaulted someone who looked at you a certain way? That’s... interesting. What did they say that warranted a punch in the face?

People who smoke on the beach are disgusting. Recently, I was on one of the most beautiful beaches on Earth: Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.

At one point, I was stuck between two smoking cods. Such a disgusting thing to smell on a beach.

Having said that, I just move to get away from these people. Unfortunately, we all can’t assault people that offend our sensibilities.

Something in the lines of You're disgusting and I wish all of you would die a cancerous death.

Granted that was some time back, say 20 years ago. Now being older, looking back I was one of those... don't let this happen to you guys. Now I just flip them off. Their faces are priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
People who smoke cigarettes will one day regret it! Getting COPD and being on oxygen constantly doesn’t sound like fun. I don’t necessarily want to shame anyone, just warn them of how this may turn out later in life.
Trust me. I cannot imagine a smoker who is not aware of these things.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:56 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Something in the lines of You're disgusting and I wish all of you would die a cancerous death.

Granted that was some time back, say 20 years ago. Now being older, looking back I was one of those... don't let this happen to you guys. Now I just flip them off. Their faces are priceless.
Well, that’s much more reasonable.

His comment was disgusting.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I had an idea while reading this thread. What would people think about me holding my nose and staring right at them while walking by? If everyone did this, they would soon get the message.
I have to ask.... how many times have you seen this happen before?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
You actually strengthen my point, and I meant to mention this. Marijuana is now legal in Washington State, so now you can't really telling whether they're smoking tobacco or marijuana. I have friends who work in jobs where they are drug tested after any mishap exceeding $250 of loss/damage for the company. They worry all the time about losing their jobs due to second hand marijuana smoke.
Your friends are worried about testing positive for THC "due to second had marijuana smoke"?

Either you're lying, they're lying (and they regularly ingest some form of cannabis), or you're both ignorant of the facts.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I had an idea while reading this thread. What would people think about me holding my nose and staring right at them while walking by? If everyone did this, they would soon get the message.
What message?

They already know that smoking is bad for your health. And they already know that many people find it disgusting.

So what's the point?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Your friends are worried about testing positive for THC "due to second had marijuana smoke"?

Either you're lying, they're lying (and they regularly ingest some form of cannabis), or you're both ignorant of the facts.
But secondhand marijuana smoke does reduce pain in the secondhand breather-inner and also cures cancer with those scondhanders, yes?

It's amazing: the one substance on the planet which has nothing but benefits!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
But secondhand marijuana smoke does reduce pain in the secondhand breather-inner and also cures cancer with those scondhanders, yes?

It's amazing: the one substance on the planet which has nothing but benefits!
People believe the darndest things. Want a list?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
People who smoke cigarettes will one day regret it! Getting COPD and being on oxygen constantly doesn’t sound like fun. I don’t necessarily want to shame anyone, just warn them of how this may turn out later in life.
Ok. I'm going to give the real tea here to you and to travis, and anyone else who thinks this kind of thing makes a difference to smokers.

Quick answer: It doesn't do a thing.

Explanation:

Do you know why I started smoking? Because it was "forbidden". Because it was "bad for you". Because it was "looked down on". I was almost 18 years old when I tried my first cigarette. The reason I tried it was for all of the reasons I just listed, and I was rebellious as a teen. Most of my rebelling was about staying out later than I promised, and sneaking out of my room to go somewhere. It was never about drinking copious amounts of alcohol or going to parties or hooking up with people - that was never my thing anyway. But when one of my friends, who had smoked in front of me numerous times, asked me if I wanted to try it, I said "yes". And what happened was I got really light headed. And being light headed made me laugh. I thought it was hilarious. I didn't really smoke much after that. Maybe 5 cigarettes over the course of a year.

Then I was in the military. In basic, it's "total control". You can't even buy candy. We used to buy Luden's cherry flavored cough drops and eat them like candy, just to feel like we got over on the Drill Sgts. I'm sure we didn't, but they couldn't say anything about it, either. Even then, I only smoked once in awhile during training. Maybe a total of 3 cigarettes the entire time. When I got to my permanent duty station, that's when I really started smoking. It was all around me. The sgt that I drove around in the Humvees smoked all the time. He smoked so much that after he took a drag, smoke would come out of his mouth for probably a good 30 seconds while he talked. It was everywhere. I started smoking like some people start drinking coffee in the military. (Never did that, coffee is gross.)

When I got out and was in college, I bummed smokes because I couldn't actually afford any. I averaged about 5 a day. And I could go a day or two or three without, didn't matter.

Then I got out of college, got a job, and had money to smoke. So I did. Do you think, that any time during all of those years that I never heard anything about how unhealthy it was? Do you think I didn't see the warnings on the packs? Do you think I never heard someone talk about how horrible it was for you, you would have health problems later, your lungs this, emphysema that, etc? You think no one ever said that to me or showed me that or pushed it in school?

Some people made comments over the years that I smoked. Do you think that made me stop and think, "Huh. Maybe I shouldn't smoke." No. It made me think, "F off. I bet you do nasty crap that the rest of us have to endure, so go pound sand." Because most people drive cars. What about the crap you're all putting into the air with your car? Don't even stand there and lecture me about jack all unless you're not polluting in any way, shape, or form. Don't even stand there and lecture me about jack all unless you live a very clean, raw, diet, exercise daily, and have reached a level where you don't stress about things, because until you're there, you are also doing things that are bad for your health.

I was always a considerate smoker in that I always walked away from people when I lit up. If I was at a bus stop, I would figure out which way the breeze or wind was blowing and go downwind, away from people. I never smoked in front of kids. I never smoked in restaurants, even when it was allowed, because even though I wanted to after eating, I was aware that others didn't want to smell it while they ate...because even I didn't like the smell when I was eating. So I waited until I could go outside. But it was my choice - it wasn't forced on me.

So what got me to quit, you ask? It wasn't all the nagging and lecturing and fake concerns over my health. I just got tired of it. I got tired of getting up and going to the store. I got tired of days when I didn't want to get up and go to the store, but felt like I had to because I wanted smokes. I would literally think, "Ugh, I don't want to go anywhere. I'm comfortable. But I have to go to the store because I don't have any smokes left." I got tired of that. I got tired of spending my money on it. Even when I could find them cheap, I just got tired of spending my money on it.

In other words, I, and I alone, decided I just didn't want to do it anymore.

"You're going to pay for that someday", dirty looks, fake coughs, nagging, lectures, blah, blah, blah - that doesn't work. It never works. In fact, it's insulting. You are not perfect, you do things that are bad for you, you do things that affect other people, you are not above anyone else just because you don't smoke cigarettes. You are not better. What you all do just turns people off to even caring what you think. In some cases, it can make people act even worse.

Let people find the motivation to quit on their own. That is the ONLY WAY they will ever succeed in quitting. You can't shame them into quitting, you can't lecture them into quitting, you can't "warn" them into quitting, you can't guilt them into quitting....the ONLY WAY someone will ever succeed is if they want to, and it has to be their own reason for wanting to.

Some people may never want to quit. I've seen people with get oxygen who still smoke. That's their choice.

Absolutely nothing you do or say is ever going to get someone else to quit. They have to want to quit. I had tried several times in the past to quit, but I never actually wanted to quit until I did. And do you know what? With the help of a disposable e-cig to use when the craving got bad, I was able to quit, permanently, easily, when I decided that I wanted to, at no pressure from anyone else. The e-cig was used about 3 times a day the first week. About once a day the second week. About once a week the third and fourth week. By the time 2 months rolled around, I realized I didn't even know where my e-cig was.

So back off. You're not actually helping anyone, you're just patting your own back thinking you've done anything. You haven't done anything.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,537 times
I’m for a complete tobacco ban that involves smoke. As I’ve said before, there are alternatives to smoking cigarettes, weed, or whatever. I’m as liberal as they get, but health for everyone is more important than smoking and putting everyone’s lives in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies