Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:13 PM

2,448 posts, read 888,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
People believe the darndest things. Want a list?
Negative! I am already well-acquainted with Bro Science and its extensive list of the magical qualities of the Wondrous Plant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,077,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Negative! I am already well-acquainted with Bro Science and its extensive list of the magical qualities of the Wondrous Plant!
What's your point? Your sarcastic tone suggests that you believe that it lacks beneficial qualities.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Curious.

Do you believe that you can test positive for THC "due to secondhand marijuana smoke"?

Did someone tell you that secondhand marijuana smoke reduces pain and cures cancer in others? Funny!

While it's true that the beneficial qualities of marijuana are often overstated by passionate advocates of legalization, recent research has demonstrated that there are legitimate medical uses for cannabis and compelling reasons to continue studying the drug's potential applications. Even the NIH's National Institute on Drug Abuse lists medical uses for cannabis.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,922,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
So what if I had a garlic fish dinner just before my interview? Do you also have the right to not have to smell me?

Just consider yourself lucky I'm not the one interviewing you.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
So what if I had a garlic fish dinner just before my interview? Do you also have the right to not have to smell me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Just consider yourself lucky I'm not the one interviewing you.
I'm not sure how to take that.

If you are saying what I had for lunch could affect the outcome of the interview, then that's really sad.

If you are saying you have your own set of offensive bodily odors to fight back with, then that's really funny.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
I feel your pain whenever an officemate heats up the following items in the microwave:

Fish
Shrimp
Cabbage
Popcorn with hydrogenated oil

Also I have an officemate who brings kim chi and sardines for lunch with great regularity.

Also there are some who brew flavored coffee--disgusting.
That popcorn in the office is disgusting because they always burn it. Then you have to smell burnt popcorn for the next hour. I'd rather smell smoke on someone's clothes for a few minutes than that. And don't even get me started on coffee breath. I've had several close calls when I had to smell someone's disgusting coffee breath and almost hurled. They don't realize how much it reeks.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 PM

24,453 posts, read 9,315,996 times
You have one life to live and one body, the fact that people would abuse it with cancer sticks is beyond me. I will never understand it.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,634,818 times
Quote:
Profit generated from the tobacco industry in the US is $35.1 billion. Using a tobacco product is a personal choice.

Why do you hate personal freedom?
Have you even read my previous posts? I don’t hate personal freedom, I have severe asthma and would like to breathe! Is that too much to ask for? I would rather someone shoot drugs into themselves than to pollute the air with more smoke. If someone must smoke, please do it in your house.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
For one thing, being fat is not illegal. Smoking within 25 feet of an entrance is. The guy I saw today also threw his butt on the ground and crushed it out with his shoe. That's littering, also illegal. I don't see fat people going around littering the streets.
I do, throwing empty snack bags on the ground.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Have you even read my previous posts? I don’t hate personal freedom, I have severe asthma and would like to breathe! Is that too much to ask for? I would rather someone shoot drugs into themselves than to pollute the air with more smoke. If someone must smoke, please do it in your house.
It's only a matter of time before they ban smoking outside, since it's involuntarily shared space.

With this in mind, can you support this two-pronged approach?

1. Ban all smoking outside, in public view, anywhere where the airspace is shared with others.
2. Lift the indoor smoking ban in private businesses. Let the market decide. They would have to post "Smoking Permitted" at the entrance, in BIG letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies