Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

How did Avenatti get himself wrapped up in this case too?

Guy definitely knows how to keep himself in the spotlight.

He's like the male Gloria Allred.

----
In an interview with The Daily Beast on Tuesday, Avenatti says that this tape depicts Kelly urinating on the victim’s face, as well as other body parts.
“This is a bad man,” Avenatti told the outlet. “This guy is a psychopath. There’s no question about it and when this thing finally gets busted wide open, people are going to be shocked at the level of depravity. I know I am.”
He also added, “If these girls weren’t black and poor, for the most part, this would have ended a long time ago.”

Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He's had sex with 14 year olds, which makes him a pedophile.
Thats NOT pedophilia.

Age 14 is actually one of the last ages to even have a term disorder designated to it (Hebephilia)...at some point, it becomes normal attraction, technically, that is around 15/16 yrs old.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How did Avenatti get himself wrapped up in this case too?

Guy definitely knows how to keep himself in the spotlight.

He's like the male Gloria Allred.

----
In an interview with The Daily Beast on Tuesday, Avenatti says that this tape depicts Kelly urinating on the victim’s face, as well as other body parts.
“This is a bad man,” Avenatti told the outlet. “This guy is a psychopath. There’s no question about it and when this thing finally gets busted wide open, people are going to be shocked at the level of depravity. I know I am.”
He also added, “If these girls weren’t black and poor, for the most part, this would have ended a long time ago.”
I don't think the victims being poor have a lot to do with the case though. A prosecutor is allowed to prosecute a case, no matter the wealth situation of the victim is. So it's the prosecutor not moving forward on this, and not the lack of wealth of the victims.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't think the victims being poor have a lot to do with the case though. A prosecutor is allowed to prosecute a case, no matter the wealth situation of the victim is. So it's the prosecutor not moving forward on this, and not the lack of wealth of the victims.
Oh, I think that plays a huge part in how aggressive prosecutors go after someone...if this had been a young blonde white girl from Beverly hills, DA would have been all over it ASAP.

Minorities and low income people know this all too well.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:45 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
Perhaps, but it seemed to be implied that the victims couldn't AFFORD to bring charges, where as charges are the prosecutor's job, and it all rests on them in this case I think.

Last edited by ironpony; 02-26-2019 at 11:55 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Honestly it is silly to me that people are focusing so much on R Kelly again. Anyone who isn't an idiot knows he is a freak and should have been jailed over 20 years ago.

I'm wondering how they will even be successful in these charges against him since the "tapes" actually are VHS tapes from the 1990s and early 2000s. Is there a statute of limitations? It is strange that after a documentary about stuff anyone who knew him knew about, that people are all riled up about him.

Note, I do think he is a perv. I have never bought his music or gone to one of his shows and I've argued with many black women in particular over them supporting him when he victimizes black women.

But bringing his old stuff back up and Michael Jackson's doesn't seem like anything worth doing.

FWIW unlike a lot of people I've read online (via comments) I don't think it is a racist thing either (lots of black people are complaining that no one is charging white men with crimes related to me-too allegations but IMO R. Kelley does not deserve any support). But I just feel that another peeing incident from 1998 is not something that he will probably get convicted of, but who knows in today's social media frenzy age.

I do think he deserves prison. I know some people who went to the high school he attended who said he used to hang out there after he dropped out of school in his 20s picking up teenage girls.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Perhaps, but it seemed to be implied that the victims couldn't AFFORD to bring charges, where as charges are the prosecutor's job, and it all rests on them in this case I think.

Victims don't have to pay to bring charges....

IMO their families are just people who used those situations to get payments from him - basically pimping out their daughters.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh, I think that plays a huge part in how aggressive prosecutors go after someone...if this had been a young blonde white girl from Beverly hills, DA would have been all over it ASAP.

Minorities and low income people know this all too well.

I also agree with this. Because these were poor black girls no one cared.

Only "good" really I see in the re-hashing of R. Kelley is the need for black families in particular to be more protective of our girls. I don't think that most jurisdictions still see our girls as worthy of going after men who abuse them.

I'll also note I was abused as a girl and I told and no charges were ever brought against the man who did it. I was a poor black girl in the ghetto and I remember social workers and police having conversations where they stated that it would be better to just sweep everything under the rug. I tried to go after this person again when I was grown (officials were involved when I was 10-11 years old) and I was 18-19 when I reported it again and I was told that there was a statue of limitations and there was nothing I could do. Families and the system often fail black girls and poor children in particular.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
This kind of behavior is simply part of their culture. Who are we to judge???!
What the heck??

Old 02-27-2019, 09:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
What the heck??
Pretty in black asked what this meant and I don't think an answer was provided.

I guess we can assume what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies