Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How exactly would that work? I don't see trump as someone who wouldn't throw a vindictive hisssy fit at them for even following rules. The other question is just because it is a rule, does that make it legal?
I apologize for being obtuse. But I’m not sure what you are asking me. I explained Working to Rule in a earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
anybody that works for government, labor unions, or construction that live pay check to pay check is stupid. as with working labor union, we knew we could strike at any time so you always had a saving, grew a garden, had side jobs. yes i see this as a vacation because they going get back pay. labor strikes dont get back pay. so with anything that had a government budget yea they should have at least 18 months salary saved.

i want to feel bad for the worker, but i dont, Im envy . I wish i could get a month off with delayed pay

Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 PM

157 posts, read 93,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i want to feel bad for the worker, but i dont, Im envy . I wish i could get a month off with delayed pay
One of my siblings is one of these workers. While she's home, no, there is no back pay for that time. When she's called into work again and has to work without pay, that is what she will get back pay for. Only her days worked.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do you think it would be a Conservatives Dream to have no Government OP ?

Conservatives want a Gov. that works and respects the Constitution.

The last time I heard anything about taking down the Government it was Obama telling us that he was going to Fundamentally change it.

The way I see we have a problem at the border that most Reps and Dems once agreed on but no one dared to take the problem on. We now have a President that wants to do something about the problem and the Democrats are kicking and screaming. The Democrats are the ones that are playing with people's lives. We need a wall and other deterrents to stop illegal immigration and contraband.

We all know we have a problem but the Dems just can't bring themselves to agree with Trump.

We do not need a wall. It's a manufactured crisis by Trump. Our national security is not at stake. Illegal boarder crossings have significantly declined. Drugs are smuggled in at points of entry.....by trucks, not one person. I don't know what else to say except it's a waste of money. I would rather our tax dollars go towards infrastructure and education to name 2.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
One of my siblings is one of these workers. While she's home, no, there is no back pay for that time. When she's called into work again and has to work without pay, that is what she will get back pay for. Only her days worked.
I have several federal workers in my family. They will get back pay for the time they missed while furloughed. It's not guaranteed, but they always get it and both Congress and the president have indicated they will get it this time as well.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
anybody that works for government, labor unions, or construction that live pay check to pay check is stupid. as with working labor union, we knew we could strike at any time so you always had a saving, grew a garden, had side jobs. yes i see this as a vacation because they going get back pay. labor strikes dont get back pay. so with anything that had a government budget yea they should have at least 18 months salary saved.

Try that on a modest salary. Most get under 100k, only 3k out of 800k employees of the federal government is paid 100k or more. I'm sorry but most don't make cushy wages/salaries that they COULD save a few months let alone over a year like you suggest. Also keep in mind, most government shutdowns aren't as long as this one.

Historically, most government shutdowns have lasted a week tops. My mother got furloughed for one day in 1995. ONE DAY. Few go two weeks and until now only maybe two went three. This one is now in four weeks. This is a once in a lifetime government shutdown and quite possibly is the government shutdown to end government ****downs. I imagine that laws if not amendments will change future shutdowns to have Congress and the President have skin in the game. Currently, they don't really.

Hopes this classifies things.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It could be over tomorrow if people took border control seriously. Sadly many don't and they are to blame for the problems we have now because they KNEW it was going to happen, they were TOLD it was going to happen, yet they still chose to do nothing about it simply so they could "resist" . The only people hurting the country at this moment are Democrats. FULL STOP. Even if you hate Trump there's no way to pretzel your mind around this fact.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I have several federal workers in my family. They will get back pay for the time they missed while furloughed. It's not guaranteed, but they always get it and both Congress and the president have indicated they will get it this time as well.
It's actually quite unfair to the essential workers to have to work and get paid, while the non-essential ones just got a paid vacation. But yes I think they'll get paid because the liberal media will implode otherwise.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:54 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I am an excepted (essential) employee -- National Weather Service -- I work my regular shift work hours thru any shutdown, and have done so in the past 30 years. It is the unknown this time which is the stressful part. I can go without a paycheck for a month or so, but it is the unknown....what if its 3 months or longer. What preparations do I need to take to pay my mortgage, etc. We can't just go out and find another job as we work. Frustrating to all of us.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
What are deemed essential employees will by law get back pay without congress passing a bill. For those furloughed a bill did pass both House and Senate and Trump said he will sign to give back pay to those furloughed too. I have talked to those furloughed, it isnt a vacation for them. They are stressed out too.... in fact it may be better to work normally as you have less time to sit and think about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies