Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times

Advertisements

Also in most states you cannot claim unemployment if you are working without pay. You can if you are furloughed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It could be over tomorrow if people took border control seriously. Sadly many don't and they are to blame for the problems we have now because they KNEW it was going to happen, they were TOLD it was going to happen, yet they still chose to do nothing about it simply so they could "resist" . The only people hurting the country at this moment are Democrats. FULL STOP. Even if you hate Trump there's no way to pretzel your mind around this fact.
Even you can't believe your own (or are they Trump's) fabrications. Take a look at several other bills offered to your leader. They all contained SERIOUS money for border security.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I am an excepted (essential) employee -- National Weather Service -- I work my regular shift work hours thru any shutdown, and have done so in the past 30 years. It is the unknown this time which is the stressful part. I can go without a paycheck for a month or so, but it is the unknown....what if its 3 months or longer. What preparations do I need to take to pay my mortgage, etc. We can't just go out and find another job as we work. Frustrating to all of us.
Kamsack, surely if you work for the weather service and are essential you probably are "rich" and make a huge salary (never mind where you might live).

As folks will quickly jump in here and tell you, you should have been saving all these years to cushion yourself against a blow of wage loss to hold you over for at least a year. That's the guidance out there and everyone of these republican federal-worker hating people I'm sure has planned their lives so well that they could go without pay for eternity (and continue to pay expenses to go to a job that doesn't pay them). This board is just full of these sensible types.

More than likely they are living with their parents or they are totally living off entitlements such as social security or disability all the while railing against it.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
Being forced to work without pay is slavery. Fitting for the Neo-Fuhrur's regime.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Kamsack, surely if you work for the weather service and are essential you probably are "rich" and make a huge salary (never mind where you might live).

As folks will quickly jump in here and tell you, you should have been saving all these years to cushion yourself against a blow of wage loss to hold you over for at least a year. That's the guidance out there and everyone of these republican federal-worker hating people I'm sure has planned their lives so well that they could go without pay for eternity (and continue to pay expenses to go to a job that doesn't pay them). This board is just full of these sensible types.

More than likely they are living with their parents or they are totally living off entitlements such as social security or disability all the while railing against it.
ah yes we all have big lake homes.... I wish. But I love my work and wouldnt do anything else. Like everyone else in our predicament, some people can handle it better than others. Life happens, sometimes it hits you hard in the bills and you cannot have the security you would like. But we will get through. We can't just walk off the job....as someone has to be there to be our replacement...one of our missions is supporting the airline industry in terms of forecasts for various airport terminals used by airlines for planning fuel loads and capacity.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Maybe they should go on vacation with don't give a crap Democrat Senator Bob Menendez down in Puerto Rico.

Looks like he's wanting his payment back. Pre or post rendered services unknown.

https://savejersey.com/2019/01/trump...n-puerto-rico/

Old 01-13-2019, 05:51 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It is abundantly clear at this point that Washington legislators do not respect Fed workers. Conservatives not respecting them we already know of. But the political machine in DC - either side of the aisle - is clearly happy to routinely use Fed employees' livelihoods as bargaining chips as they spar over their agendas.

If I were these guys, I'd be walking out and organizing a strike. I know, it sounds like a wet dream for a conservative. No government! Take it down to zero employees! Well, let's test that. Let's have a true government shutdown, if that's what we want. Right now, we shut down the part about their paychecks but still expect them to provide the service.

No air traffic control. No airport security. Take it down to zero. Watch air travel grind to a halt.

Coast guard, FDA food inspections, drug approvals, homeland security...same thing. Bring it all to a halt.

Do that a few times when politicians get frisky and maybe the *******s in Washington will get the message that screwing around with people's livelihoods who are actually doing an important service to our society is not acceptable.

Politicians can spar over walls and whatever the hell else, but they shouldn't be able to hold peoples' ability to pay for their kid's school and for the roof over their head as hostage for leverage.
I didn't read all the post so sorry if someone mentioned this but I would remind you that ATC walkouts have failed in the past......I'm sure someone will remind the President of the '81 strike and Mr. Reagan's response...

Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So how do you propose they pay their bills TODAY?
With the 6 months worth of living expenses they should have saved up by now. If they CHOSE not to save that cushion, it's no one's fault but their own.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:09 AM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
LOL! IN THIS ADMINISTRATION THEY BETTER BE WHITE OR ELSE HERE COMES

ANOTHER NATIONAL CRISIS
Wow... That's a pretty lame statement. Where are your facts to back up such a statement?

I'm pretty sure that you have no facts, but simply throwing out an emotional statement, which really means nothing and serves no real purpose at all.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
anybody that works for government, labor unions, or construction that live pay check to pay check is stupid. as with working labor union, we knew we could strike at any time so you always had a saving, grew a garden, had side jobs. yes i see this as a vacation because they going get back pay. labor strikes dont get back pay. so with anything that had a government budget yea they should have at least 18 months salary saved.
Ding ding ding! Exactly. Anyone who's ever been in a labor union knows this.
Quote:
i want to feel bad for the worker, but i dont, Im envy . I wish i could get a month off with delayed pay
I'd take that deal, too, in a heartbeat.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 01-13-2019 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies