Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We need comprehensive immigration reform not a wall. I’m not sure why democrats are to blame when they took over Congress less than a month ago. What have republicans been doing the last 2 years when they controlled all branches
I agree we need reform but we also need barriers because there are too many who want to come over illegally. I don't recall a budget extension of this type coming up over the last 2 years to include this measure, besides both sides need to be addressing this issue as it affects the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 05:31 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I too a puzzled why federal workers are expected to work without pay.

If they are deemed necessary to national security, then they should be paid. Coast Guard comes to mind.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-22-2019 at 05:50 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
As much as I think the wall is a stupid idea, it's only $5 billion, which is only a drop in the budget. Let him have his moral victory and move on. It's costing more than that in back pay for government workers sitting at home doing nothing (at no fault of their own).

The affected federal government workers are living out the wrong side of history, shattering the record for the longest government shutdown ever with no end in site. When this is all said and done, who knows how long the shutdown will have lasted. I give them kudos for being as patient as they are. It's somewhat odd that they have either been sitting at home or working for free for this long. I am not sure how much longer they can last with no pay.....

Old 01-22-2019, 05:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What choice do federal employees have? Many have skills and expertise, developed over years, that are applicable only in the public sector at the federal level.
I have repeated this several of times. It is what makes shutdowns so hard for federal employees. Unfortunately for them, and at no fault of their own; their day to day job and skill set is heavily administrative and not applicable to a lot of private sector jobs. Especially the higher paying corporate jobs.

It is what makes shutdowns so scary for them. They don't have the skill set to just be able to jump ship and be competitive for a well paying private sector job when long shutdowns occurs. That is why they are essentially stuck and forced to wait it out.

In the DC area, many of them have turned to substitute teaching.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/383108668-video

Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As much as I think the wall is a stupid idea, it's only $5 billion, which is only a drop in the budget. Let him have his moral victory and move on. It's costing more than that in back pay for government workers sitting at home doing nothing (at no fault of their own).

The affected federal government workers are living out the wrong side of history, shattering the record for the longest government shutdown ever with no end in site. When this is all said and done, who knows how long the shutdown will have lasted. I give them kudos for being as patient as they are. It's somewhat odd that they have either been sitting at home or working for free for this long. I am not sure how much longer they can last with no pay.....
The problem isn't necessarily the wall or the money. It's the hostage-taking "negotiation" tactics. It's like a parent not giving in to a bratty child for a minor piece of candy. If you cave, you're only encouraging the juvenile behavior.

Besides, any border enhancement bill without e-verify is for show only.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Isn't that basically the definition of slavery?
Its not slavery, if I were a government employee I will still work. People are much more loyal than most corporations. ALso the shutdown isnt lasting forever.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
This is one of the meanest, most heartless posts I've seen in a long time.

Did it ever occurred to you that many federal employees might not get paid much? Did it ever occur to you that some may be crippled by re-paying student loans? And did it ever occur to you that the month's pay, even if they did save it, would be gone by now?

Yes, it's awful, and even foolish, not to try to sock away a little money. But for you to term them "dregs" is contemptible.
he is right. rainy day funds are a must.

But dont worry. Some republication party supporters in this forum, would just support them because they are wired this way. Even if their family has an affected federal employee, they would still support their party.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Isn't that basically the definition of slavery?
That's what I think.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
he is right. rainy day funds are a must.

But dont worry. Some republication party supporters in this forum, would just support them because they are wired this way. Even if their family has an affected federal employee, they would still support their party.
The thing is, at first it's "they should have a months savings" but then the shutdown drags on past one month. Soon it will become "they should have six months savings". At what point are they allowed to struggle? Will these people have empathy then? I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have repeated this several of times. It is what makes shutdowns so hard for federal employees. Unfortunately for them, and at no fault of their own; their day to day job and skill set is heavily administrative and not applicable to a lot of private sector jobs. Especially the higher paying corporate jobs.
Their administrative skill set and knowledge of government operations makes some quite valuable in the private sector.

For example, many of the cabinet level individuals who have left the Trump administration are now employed in the industry they were formerly supposedly providing oversight on. Their replacements are all industry lobbyists who will likely return to working in the industry when this gig comes to an end.

Going down several rungs on the ladder here, those who work in the Social Security disabilities determination dept. might find their knowledge and skill set quite valuable to attorneys who bring disability cases forward.

Even those that don't jump ship, this might be a great time to get a side job consulting gig going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies