Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Trump AND Pelosi compromise?
Yes - swallow a bit of pride but get government opened. 49 50.00%
No - Dig in and don't yield an inch. 49 50.00%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How about $5B for a wall and $5B for climate change?
Sure, have Congress discuss it in the normal fashion. Pass a law. Not a decree by a dictator.

Deal???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,967,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think the wall is a dumb idea, but I think that it is time Pelosi and Trump each swallow their pride and compromise. People need to get back to work.

Maybe Trump gets a small, $2.5B wall.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. We are talking about a 'continuing resolution' to keep the government open for 30 to 60 days.

It is the 'principle'. If President Trump can hold the government hostage concerning a border wall, and the Democrats 'give in', what will he demand when the CR times out?

It is NOT the wall, per se, but how he is going about it.

The pendulum swings,always. If the Democrats give in to this 'blackmail', then future Presidents will take note. You may have a Democratic President, in 2021, refusing a budget if 'abortion rights' is not included in the budget, or he or her will 'shut down' the government.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,642,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Pelosi and Schumer have both said that border security is important, HOWEVER, the wall is not the way to do it. Improved technology, better enforcement, etc ARE effective, a stupid wall is just a joke.
This is what I think, too. The wall is putting all of your eggs (and $$$) into one basket. It will stop some but not all. Cartels will find another way. We have a ton of Asians here illegally - they don't come up through Mexico. We need to deal with the ones already here - E-verify, $ for fraud investigation for people using fake SS #s and getting gov't assistance, etc. No one in government is even mentioning these things that I've heard. Let's work out a plan of attack with more than a single weapon (the wall).

Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 PM

33,837 posts, read 16,862,578 times
The shutdown should continue until House and Senate pass a CR with billions for a wall or similar barrier.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,115,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh.....immigrants come for work.

The housing boom - fake, but none the less real money, occurred until 2006. Then GWB and his Republican friends destroyed the economy. Millions self-deported because there was no work.

Have you already forgotten this. NO WORK. Stock market and housing crash. Recession. NO WORK>

The recession was not in 2006 but 2008-2009. And there was a sharp recession in 2000-2001 when illegals were coming at over a million per year. The illegal population, as estimated by PEW, reached it's highmark in 2012.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sure, have Congress discuss it in the normal fashion. Pass a law. Not a decree by a dictator.

Deal???

Sure. Congress could do it tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This is what I think, too. The wall is putting all of your eggs (and $$$) into one basket. It will stop some but not all. Cartels will find another way. We have a ton of Asians here illegally - they don't come up through Mexico. We need to deal with the ones already here - E-verify, $ for fraud investigation for people using fake SS #s and getting gov't assistance, etc. No one in government is even mentioning these things that I've heard. Let's work out a plan of attack with more than a single weapon (the wall).

You can add all the weapons to the arsenal that you want but a wall is going to be one of them. Get used to that. The sole reason we are having this standoff right now is because Trump is standing up for one of them. The one he chose is the wall. He could have chosen E-Verify or building massive detention compounds or ending birthright citizenship and it would have been the same thing.

Everyone in Congress - both sides - would rather wash their hands of it and move on just as they have done for decades. Trump is saying no, deal with this now. We all know that the next President other than Trump - even if an R - won't have the backbone to stand up to Congress and force them to confront an issue.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,521,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think the wall is a dumb idea, but I think that it is time Pelosi and Trump each swallow their pride and compromise. People need to get back to work.

Maybe Trump gets a small, $2.5B wall. Agree or disagree?
In general, yes. Politics is built on compromise.

On the wall, no. Pelosi was right when she termed it a "vanity project" for Trump. it's a huge waste of money on a bad project. I don't consider $2,500,000,000 to be small. Perhaps Pelosi could agree to $500,000 for a white picket fence.

Yes, people need to get back to work, and the country needs to be functioning. Trump should be ashamed of himself.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,063,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It was Trump who rejected the DACA deal and there was like 25 billion in there for border security.

He was all set to sign but then Stephen Miller convinced him not to.

I wouldn't give him one dime for the wall.

I would offer a bunch of money for border security as long as it wasn't used for the wall.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Pentagon lost 21 Trillion under Obama and cannot find it, while Pelosi is worried about 5 billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies