Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:53 AM

27,374 posts, read 28,451,420 times

Advertisements

I’m looking out my window right now and seeing 10 inches of snow on the ground.

Man, that global warming is really taking its toll around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know some of you climate change deniers think all of this is akin to black magic and voodoo, but the reality is, we humans are killing this little planet we live on, and it is suffering and fighting back at an alarming rate.

If you do not see the consequences of putting our heads in the sand, then you have ignored all of the disasters going on around the country more and more every year. I live in Florida, and we used to chuckle when a hurricane was coming because they never hit us. Now, we do pay attention because we have seen a dramatic change in those things happening on a regular basis.

But anything I, or anyone else, types here is never going to convince you, at least not until the water is lapping at your heels and you wonder why. Knowing some of you, even that will not change your minds.

Calm down dude. There is nothing that "we humans" can do to to kill this "little planet". Unfounded emotion overrides science here.
I'm in Louisiana, so understand bad weather!

We may or may not be having an effect on ourselves, but the planet Earth is a sphere of rock and gas. It has no awareness of what is occuring!
It is not some being as so many like to romanticize.

Earth will be here in a similar condition 50-million years from now with another random set of inhabitants.
Their geologists will speculate as to when life began on Earth as do ours.
A galactic cook-off and 4-million years would erase any trace of our present existence.

We are a mere flash in time.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,152,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Calm down dude. There is nothing that "we humans" can do to to kill this "little planet". Unfounded emotion overrides science here.
I'm in Louisiana, so understand bad weather!

We may or may not be having an effect on ourselves, but the planet Earth is a sphere of rock and gas. It has no awareness of what is occuring!
It is not some being as so many like to romanticize.

Earth will be here in a similar condition 50-million years from now with another random set of inhabitants.
Their geologists will speculate as to when life began on Earth as do ours.
A galactic cook-off and 4-million years would erase any trace of our present existence.

We are a mere flash in time.
"The Earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas....The planet is doing fine....been here 4 billion years.....survived earthquakes, hurricanes, asteroids, the magnetic reversal of the poles....and we think that a few aluminum cans, and plastic bags, are going to amount to anything"....George Carlin

Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,410,051 times
Quote:
I know some of you climate change deniers think all of this is akin to black magic and voodoo, but the reality is, we humans are killing this little planet we live on, and it is suffering and fighting back at an alarming rate.

If you do not see the consequences of putting our heads in the sand, then you have ignored all of the disasters going on around the country more and more every year. I live in Florida, and we used to chuckle when a hurricane was coming because they never hit us. Now, we do pay attention because we have seen a dramatic change in those things happening on a regular basis.

But anything I, or anyone else, types here is never going to convince you, at least not until the water is lapping at your heels and you wonder why. Knowing some of you, even that will not change your minds.
We aren't capable of killing the planet. The planet will be just fine. Humans will go extinct at some point as all species do and will. The planet will live on without us. Stop your alarmist over reactions.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,376,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A New York Times "breaking news" story on January 10, 2019:

Scientists say the world’s oceans are heating up faster than previously thought, a finding with dire implications for climate change.

From the December 18, 2018 New York Times:
As Seas Warm, Galápagos Islands Face a Giant Evolutionary Test

Climate change is ravaging the natural laboratory that inspired Darwin. The creatures here are on the brink of crisis.

Scary world out there.

But been there, done that, as discussed in the August 30, 1973 issue of the New York Times (link, excerpts below) before "climate change" became a pet cause: There's always some pet cause or panic to alarm us, to make people where a puss on their face.

There's also very little evidence to support the latest alarums. We're being told,as stated in the January 10, 2019 article "(a)bsent global action to reduce carbon emissions, the authors said, the warming alone would cause sea levels to rise by about a foot by 2100, and the ice caps would contribute more. That could exacerbate damages from severe coastal flooding and storm surge." I suspect actual people have more pressing worries.
It's always funny how the right is the first to scream and yell about some new imagined threat no matter how small, or believe in some crazy conspiracy theory, but will quickly and viciously deny any scientific findings or evidence about something when Fox news or some paid politician tells them otherwise. Congrats on being the sheep that you all are.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 AM

18,555 posts, read 7,309,234 times
Quote:
Yeah, the thousands of impartial scientists, who study these things, saying that climate change is real and a problem are all paid to scare the bejesus out of people, for some unknown reasons. I realize education is a scary subject to many Trumpees, but believe it or not, there ARE people out there who know what they are talking about and who are simply telling us what they see.
Perhaps, but we have no way of knowing that. The Left has told too many Big Lies. We cannot trust anything the Left says.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,474,984 times
I’ve yet to see one person here effectively demonstrate through peer-reviewed scientific data how AGW is affecting our planet. I know that plenty of data exists, yet all I ever see here are emotional pleas and insults in rebuttal to the topic.

It’s pretty simple: it’s a put up or shut up topic. Either bring data to the table, or leave the topic for professionals to continue sorting out. Seems reasonable, no?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM

25,383 posts, read 12,521,745 times
The sky is falling crowd, who like to talk about global warming, DON'T like to talk about other Global facts:

More than 50% of the humans on Earth do NOT own a car, so if they do, they are polluting more than 1/2 the humans globally. Yet, they see themselves as environmentally sensitive & superior. Some have multiple cars, and boats, and motorcycles, ect..

Only 20% of humans gobally have air-conditioning, so if they do, they are polluting more than 80% of humans globally.

Oh, and most eat meat too!

Globally, the sky's falling global-warming sea-rising crowd are seen as fossil fuel consuming gluttonous PIGS by the rest of the World!

Yet, here they all are, trying to tell us about all of their fears, & blaming everyone but themselves for the melting icecaps.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,152,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
the sky is falling crowd, who like to talk about global warming, don't like to talk about other global facts:

More than 50% of the humans on earth do not own a car, so if they do, they are polluting more than 1/2 the humans globally. Yet, they see themselves as environmentally sensitive & superior. Some have multiple cars, and boats, and motorcycles, ect..

Only 20% of humans gobally have air-conditioning, so if they do, they are polluting more than 80% of humans globally.

Oh, and most eat meat too!

Globally, the sky's falling global-warming sea-rising crowd are seen as fossil fuel consuming gluttonous pigs by the rest of the world!

Yet, here they all are, trying to tell us about all of their fears, & blaming everyone but themselves for the melting icecaps.

exactly

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM

34,661 posts, read 16,697,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
It's always funny how the right is the first to scream and yell about some new imagined threat no matter how small, or believe in some crazy conspiracy theory, but will quickly and viciously deny any scientific findings or evidence about something when Fox news or some paid politician tells them otherwise. Congrats on being the sheep that you all are.
  1. I am not a member of "the right";
  2. I have questioned the mental stability of a close friend when he expressed belief in Alex Jones;
  3. On my own and without recourse to media, Fox or otherwise, I decided, when I first heard about "greenhouse effect" and "global warming" during the torrid summer of 1988 that Hansen's "testi-lying" before Congress on the subject was high comedy; and
  4. I am suspicious of people who make ad hominem attacks and have no remedy for the alleged problem, i.e. "global warming."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies