Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:42 PM

15,657 posts, read 15,807,201 times

Advertisements

I went to see the movie "Vice" (very interesting, by the way), but was left with two factual questions. These points were unfamiliar to me, but went by so quickly that I wasn't sure I heard them correctly.

First, that there were over 20,000 missing emails from the Bush administration. Not sure whether that was Bush, Cheney, or the W.H. as a whole. But it would be odd, considering the fuss that was made over Hillary's email.

Second, it sounded as if on 9/11, Cheney gave a directive not to safely evacuate Congress. If true, that's incredibly shocking - as if he would be trying to jeopardize everyone's lives.

Anyone know whether I heard these correctly and if they're true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,593,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I went to see the movie "Vice" (very interesting, by the way), but was left with two factual questions. These points were unfamiliar to me, but went by so quickly that I wasn't sure I heard them correctly.

First, that there were over 20,000 missing emails from the Bush administration. Not sure whether that was Bush, Cheney, or the W.H. as a whole. But it would be odd, considering the fuss that was made over Hillary's email.

Second, it sounded as if on 9/11, Cheney gave a directive not to safely evacuate Congress. If true, that's incredibly shocking - as if he would be trying to jeopardize everyone's lives.

Yes, I've heard more than 20,000 emails went missing, before Trump came along this was the most corrupt Presidential administration going back to Warren Harding.

As far as not ordering the evacuation of Congress, and knowing that the crashed airliner was headed for Congress before it went down in Shanksville, it does make you wonder if Cheney wanted something similar to the Reichstag fire in order to gain complete control of government.

Cheney is pathological and shrewd.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,727,387 times
Quote:

Its Hollywood. Not a historically factual account.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM

40,997 posts, read 49,421,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its Hollywood. Not a historically factual account.
Quite the opposite.... Twisted and unbelievable.

I heard the movie was not worth seeing.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,954,128 times
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/g-...llion-e-mails/

Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,223,641 times
Quote:

The number was 22 million and there was nothing missing, they were recovered from backups. The accounts themselves were setup for political business to avoid ....breaking the law.

Cheney himself never even wrote things down if he could avoid it let alone use email for business.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,732,562 times
The Movie is not sold as being the seminole work for knowing about the Evil One...

It's entertainment.

Still, many parts of it are based on real life. It is true he flunked out of college due to drinking and general stupidity. It was true he drank and drove 100's of times and was arrested for it twice.

It's always true that we we learn and know is only a small part of the story. If he wasn't Dick Cheney (privilege), he'd not only be long dead, but would not have caused the deaths of 100's of thousands and such harm to this country.

Would anyone have ever believed the company that the VP was CEO of would be the #1 benefactor of the contracts for his wars?

What a horrible legacy. GWB was so weak and easily manipulated that he allowed this corporate monster to run the country.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,223,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
.... and knowing that the crashed airliner was headed for Congress before it went down in Shanksville,

Under the directives given by President Bush during a brief communication Cheney had issued an order to shoot that plane down and was under the impression the military had shot it down. This is well documented by communications between him and Rumsfeld after the fact that were released as part of a Congressional record.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,727,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The Movie is not sold as being the seminole work for knowing about the Evil One...

It's entertainment.

Still, many parts of it are based on real life. It is true he flunked out of college due to drinking and general stupidity. It was true he drank and drove 100's of times and was arrested for it twice.

It's always true that we we learn and know is only a small part of the story. If he wasn't Dick Cheney (privilege), he'd not only be long dead, but would not have caused the deaths of 100's of thousands and such harm to this country.

Would anyone have ever believed the company that the VP was CEO of would be the #1 benefactor of the contracts for his wars?

What a horrible legacy. GWB was so weak and easily manipulated that he allowed this corporate monster to run the country.

The Obama's love Bush. Why can't you ?

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,346,868 times
From Senate.gov website, Tom Daschel Majority or Minority Leader:
"On the morning of September 11, 2001, the Capitol once again became the target of foreign enemies. As two hijacked commercial airplanes thundered into the twin towers of New York City’s World Trade Center, and another flew into the Pentagon, a fourth plane—through the heroic struggle of its passengers—missed its intended target and crashed into a Pennsylvania field southeast of Pittsburgh. All 40 passengers and crew members on United Airlines Flight 93 perished. Subsequent investigations by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks discovered a high probability that the Capitol was the intended target of the Flight 93 hijackers.

News of the first strike against the World Trade Center reached the Capitol within minutes. In an unprecedented act, the Senate canceled its session moments before the appointed convening time. At 10:15 a.m., officials ordered evacuation of the Capitol and office buildings. While congressional leaders were taken to a secure facility, other members and staff were urged to leave the area amidst rumors that the Capitol was a bombing target.

Over the weeks and months that followed the terrors of September 11, despite unprecedented security enhancements, congressional leaders insisted that the Capitol remain open, continuing more than two centuries of service as the “national temple” of representative democracy.

Reference Items:

Daschle, Tom. Like No Other Time: The 107th Congress and the Two Years That Changed America Forever. New York: Crown, 2003.

National Commission on Terrorist Attacks on the United States. The 9/11 Commission Report. New York: W.W. Norton, 2004."

I remember the evacuations. It is just fiction in a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies