Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Joe Manchin from West Virginia claims to be pro-gun but his voting record doesn't show that. In the Democrat Party, anything to the right of Pelosi, Ocasia, and Schumer, anything that doesn't completely ban guns are 'pro gun".
AOC's caucus has 5 official members and you guys talk about her as if she runs the place LOL. Does she scare you that much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
I know pro gun democrats.
They despise Andrew Cuomo Diane Feinstein etc.
They're not the type that reads a news article and gasps and clutches their chest and emote out over a tragedy.

They do not believe in .gov having any say or business in regulating or choosing which weapons are available to the public and they will continue to hold their nose and vote for politicians in other parties for that issue and that issue alone.

One owns a machine gun and believes we all should own machine guns if we want. He's 42. From new Hampshire. Originally from MA and fled following Sandy Hook and MAs new emotional gun laws that passed, then went to new hampshire was followed by the same scourge he fled from and went to Florida. He and I get along great until the conversation switches gears to economics and what .gov responsibilities are/should be.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
The most likely place to find pro gun democrats would be in the Midwest. Blue collar union democrats from the Midwest tend to be quite conservative and libertarian on many issues. They are one issue democrats.....union and worker rights. This is why Trump was able to flip Wisconsin and Michigan. The Midwest is a tough nut to crack when trying to figure out the political lay of the land up there. Just ask Hillary Clinton LOL.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If believing in the Constitution, specifically the Second Amendment, makes me 'pro-gun', then yes I am. The First and Second Amendments are the most American gifts WE have in the USA.
Which "WE" are you talking about? I am kind of partial to the 19th Amendment.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,250 times
Have to remember in most other civilized countries they can choose between 6-10 parties. The US is a extreme outlier with only 2 viable parties.

In those countries the will of the people is smeared much thinner and issues find support from all over.
You have extreme right and left parties support each other in issues while the middle disagrees.

The US politics are very black and white in most cases.. I don´t see ANY problem with Democrats wanting weapons and hunting available to the people. However I do not think they are for the free access no question asked BS the far right wants.

Its used as a lever to push Americans against each other.

Back when in the 30-40-50-60-70s there was less hassle getting guns or automatic guns.. open carry was EXTREMLY rare and looked down on. Now far right movements have passed laws that allow open carry is several states, in schools, in stores, in public areas.. and whenever there is any talk about restricting it.. they SCREAM: See the Democrats wants to confiscate all guns!

Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Have to remember in most other civilized countries they can choose between 6-10 parties. The US is a extreme outlier with only 2 viable parties.

In those countries the will of the people is smeared much thinner and issues find support from all over.
You have extreme right and left parties support each other in issues while the middle disagrees.

The US politics are very black and white in most cases.. I don´t see ANY problem with Democrats wanting weapons and hunting available to the people. However I do not think they are for the free access no question asked BS the far right wants.

Its used as a lever to push Americans against each other.

Back when in the 30-40-50-60-70s there was less hassle getting guns or automatic guns.. open carry was EXTREMLY rare and looked down on. Now far right movements have passed laws that allow open carry is several states, in schools, in stores, in public areas.. and whenever there is any talk about restricting it.. they SCREAM: See the Democrats wants to confiscate all guns!
On open carry... it's still very rare. PA allows open carry with no permit, concealed with a permit, and you almost never see anyone carry openly. I've seen it only one time, and it was someone who was out in the woods on horseback.

There's a battle going on in CA right now, and it's being argued by those you'd consider "left", that open carry is the only way to constitutionally bear arms. There are references in writings by our founding fathers about concealed carry being cowardly. Don't be too quick to assume that it's the "far right" alone pushing this.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
On open carry... it's still very rare. PA allows open carry with no permit, concealed with a permit, and you almost never see anyone carry openly. I've seen it only one time, and it was someone who was out in the woods on horseback.

There's a battle going on in CA right now, and it's being argued by those you'd consider "left", that open carry is the only way to constitutionally bear arms. There are references in writings by our founding fathers about concealed carry being cowardly. Don't be too quick to assume that it's the "far right" alone pushing this.
I am in PA, and have a PA LTCF (cc permit) and I have NEVER seen anyone open carrying a firearm in the many years (off and on) I have been here. The only people I see with guns are the POLICE. Philly is the only place that requires an LTCF to open carry, and they will stop you and ask to see it.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:00 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
On the surface, the phrase itself would appear to be an oxymoron but I've heard it mentioned a few times over the years. Presumably, these would be rural-dwelling Democrats.

Out of curiosity, I brought this topic up to a couple people at work who are Democrats and their response was "no way, no how" could a true Democrat be pro-gun.

So, is the "pro-gun Democrat" a real thing or just "Republican Lite"?
The democrat controlled state of Vermont allows 16 year olds to carry loaded and concealed firearms without a permit, and in Vermont you are not even required to tell the police you are carrying a concealed weapon. But most republican states require someone to be 21 and have a permit to carry concealed firearms, ex.ex.. How could someone label democrats as anti-gun?
https://www.onlinecarrytraining.com/...led-carry-law/
https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...mont-gun-laws/

And most democrats are pro-gun and believe in the 2nd amendment. But republicans spin the gun issue and label anyone who desires gun regulations as "anti-gun Americans."

Republicans oppose the most basic forms of gun safety regulations, like opposing laws that stop terrorists and certain mentally ill people from purchasing firearms.
House GOP Blocks Measure to Keep Guns from Mentally Ill
GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns | MSNBC
Trump ended rule to block mentally ill from getting guns - ABC News

Fact is responsible gun owners keep guns out of children's reach, they don't allow people without gun operation and safety knowledge to shoot their guns, and they don't sell/trade guns with criminals, terrorists, or the mentally ill. But republican politicians and republican voters oppose the regulations of responsible gun owners.

And its ironic but its republicans that threaten the right of Americans to own guns.

30% of Americans personally own a gun, and this number has been steadily falling for decades. And 30% of the population is not enough to keep something legal in a country that votes.
The demographics of gun ownership in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...-year-decline/

And after every mass shooting states pass tougher gun control laws, like after the Newton school shooting when 189 million Americans got tougher gun laws on the state level. And Washington republicans caused these new state gun laws because they refuse to pass responsible gun laws on the federal level.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...after-newtown/

Republicans oppose the regulations of responsible gun owners, they ignore the fact that only 30% of Americans personally own a gun in a country that votes, they ignore Americas decades long falling gun ownership rates, they ignore states passing new gun regulations, and they call democrats anti-gun when Vermont allows 16 year olds to carry loaded and concealed firearms without a permit.

Republican politicians in Washington don't care about guns, they care about corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation. And only 44% of republicans personally own a gun, so the majority of republicans don't truly care about guns. Guns are just something republican politicians use to get votes, and the laws they block to get gun owners support threaten America's entire legal gun culture.

How will guns remain legal in the future when only 25% of Americans own a gun, while young children are being mass murdered with guns in schools?

And today 1 in 5 Americans wants the 2nd amendment to be totally repealed, and this number will continue to rise in the future.
https://www.aim.org/on-target-blog/m...-poll-results/

Simple voter demographics has America heading towards potential European-like gun laws, and republicans could care less. Republican just wanna say "the democrats are anti-gun" to get the gun owners vote (and then pass corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation.)

Last edited by chad3; 01-14-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If you are talking about democrats who merely own a gun...........there are probably some. Maybe many. If you are talking about democrats who are alarmist gun rights advocates who are convinced that confiscation is the goal and are opposed to any reasonable dialog about gun laws..........if they are still living, they hopped on the republican train a long time ago.

I'd suspect that people who own guns and are democrats are probably for some sort of rational discussion about guns or are apolitical. Traitors to the gun culture.

Of course, most gun owners think that the only "democrats" who own guns are liberal radicals and criminals which is why they have to have guns themselves.
"Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are more than twice as likely as Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents to say they own a gun (44% vs. 20%)."

Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Is there something wrong with be a responsible democratic gun owner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies