Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM

431 posts, read 257,469 times

Advertisements

I feel that the core root of your frustration might be more based on the message that this is being forced on everyone to accept as the norm. Of coarse most of the movies in question are fiction, but none the less, it does send a message that a woman can do anything a man can, if not better. As a father of two daughters, I certainly want to believe that, and in many ways, women are stronger and better at things than men. But physically stronger, faster, they are not. There will always be exceptions like some have made a point to make. Just like you could argue Asians are just as tall as Europeans. Certainly you'll find many tall Asians, but as a general rule Europeans have a height advantage as a race of people. Serena Williams could most likely beat most men at tennis, but playing against her professional counters parts on the male side would be a bit challenging although be it very entertaining.
I think this topic could be compartmentalized along with issues like homosexuality, gender identification, emasculation of men as being the new norm in society which are issues being shoved down people throat. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 05:49 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
The movies that really make me grind my teeth are Hollywoods attempt at history. I pick movies set in certain historical periods apart. Especially if they're supposed to be historically accurate and based on true events and people.

I also find horribly unrealistic gun battles that show cars blowing up from shotgun hits and brawny men in body armor thrown backward through plate glass windows from 9mm hits. Steel weapons in the hands of supposedly bronze age soldiers weapons that weren't invented till the 1870s and 80s in the hands of 1850s and 60s characters etc.

Such inaccuracies chap me far more than woman characters with special abilities in modern sci fi and action films.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I always told my girls that movies are not real life. When it comes to what they can do physically they tested out their boundaries and tolerance levels. It was surprising just how much stamina both of them had. Physical strength too. Women can fight hard enough to defend themselves, they just have to be taught to do it and that takes knowledge of technique and personal ability.

Do movies send the wrong message? I think in some ways they do. Men are built for combat. Women are not.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I always told my girls that movies are not real life. When it comes to what they can do physically they tested out their boundaries and tolerance levels. It was surprising just how much stamina both of them had. Physical strength too. Women can fight hard enough to defend themselves, they just have to be taught to do it and that takes knowledge of technique and personal ability.

Do movies send the wrong message? I think in some ways they do. Men are built for combat. Women are not.
Women are built for creating new human beings and giving birth however. The radical feminists seem to hold that realization in contempt. But what is there that men can do that is more amazing in any way than that? Nothing that I can think of.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Anybody ever notice that if a female on a teevee show is a mechanic... that means she's awesome and probably the protagonist!

If a male on a teevee show is a mechanic... he's an ignorant piece of **** and maybe a child molester.

Virtue-signaling = lazy writing.

Last edited by turkey-head; 01-18-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 07:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Go out and kick some girl butt and get your mojo back.
Nah- too easy!!
Guess him not fully buying into the female superiority doctrine is upsetting you?
OP should have known better than to disagree with that. Feminists are as easily triggered as the men they hate so much.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
memo to OP. Superman can't really fly. In fact superman does not exist.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Good post! Mrs LeaveWi is a gymnast and martial artist. She recently earned her second degree black belt, through hard work. We train together and it's obvious she is better than I am. MUCH better.
Even so, her being 4' 10" and 74 lbs, she would be at a major disadvantage in a REAL fight with even an untrained Bogan dude! Still though, I'm VERY proud of what she has accomplished-it was a VERY physically and mentally exhausting ride! She really earned it.
I guess this is my roundabout way of saying that just because I feel those movies are unrealistic and SJW propaganda, that doesn't mean that women can't accomplish amazing things, and be the best.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Perusing this thread makes me realize we are closer to the end of empire than I had previously thought. Coupled with seeing the impact of pharmaceuticals supplanting oil as our biggest business.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Reading this thread has been interesting indeed. The OP complained first about women being portrayed positively in fictional movies. Then on more than one occasion complained about other posters disagreeing with his viewpoint. He referred to us as hateful on one occasion, which I shrugged away as his frustration that opposing views were being shared (Lol, how dare they!). Nonetheless, he had no problem using terms like SJW, virtue signaling and war on men, etc. Not only is that the pot calling the kettle black, but it is a very entitled attitude IMO.

I have created opinion threads on city data and realized in advance that 100% agreement is unrealistic . You seldom get a unanimous echo chamber when creating an opinion thread. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for him and he won't need a safe space in the future. There were several posters agreeing with him and that should have helped him have thicker skin where differing views were concerned, but clearly it did not.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-19-2019 at 12:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies