Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,690,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
OP says tired of women being portrayed as stronger, fast, and better fighters in Hollywood film flicks. Just showing that sometimes ... its true.

I began making a joke of it, with poster Dave ... then posts after that pretty much started to on a life of their own.

Why are you embarrassed or perhaps you think I should be, showing a video of martial arts training for women?

Women's Empowerment: Martial Arts

That's not funny, that's just smart, but then you'd have to watch the whole 6 minutes of it to understand it. Come into it at about 0:43 ...

Then I posted about Hollywood actors that had to take martial arts training for their roles, they liked it so well the have continued their training ... yes, some of them are women and teenagers (male and female).

What Hollywood (writers) like to do is push the imagination ... especially where as there are industries that need more females to be interested, like that of technology, journalist, science, etc ... rather than always having male dominant rolls, where as we see more men taking part, rather than women.

There have been throughout history empowered women that have helped to shape today's society. Its sad, more people don't take notice, but rather pat the men on the back and say job well done.

Once again I will say it, if a person doesn't like women being portray as tough as men in Hollywood's films, don't watch the movie.
OK, thanks for providing background on the post.

The "I am embarrassed" is just a phrase, lingo, maybe a regional thing, which in this context, meant the training in that first video was horrible, not a video I would use to support any opinion other than people can engage in poor training.

I ended up watching the second video, I have no idea the belt rank there, but that guy had about zero skills, both were rather poor though everyone is at some point when they are learning, lol, but they were messing up on some pretty basic stuff. I know nothing about this Army training, but seems to be pretty **** poor if they are tossing a guy with such low skill into a match with what appears to be just foot guards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,092,262 times
Quote:
You wouldn't say that if it were two men, about the same height and build ...

Ever hear of shirley muldowney ? Hollywood did a movie ... true story. Just so you know.

So, now you KNOW what I would or wouldn't say? Wow! that's quite a talent! As for Muldowney...Please tell me how drag racing skills equal being physically as strong and fast as men?

You're changing the subject...no one is talking about women not having skills or even being able to beat some men at physical stuff. The topic is about Hollywood overcompensating with the whole Girl-Power thing!

I noticed your side glossed right over my post about the Olympics...was it because you had NOTHING? You cannot debate the raw facts...the BEST women CANNOT beat the BEST men...end of story!

But don't fret...because your side doesn't believe in genders anyway....so why are your panties in a bunch about defending women when they don't even exist anymore?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,030,828 times
Do any of you guys realize that although male characters beating other male characters was the norm basically an eternity, you guys didn't feel inferior by it or feel it taxing on your ego/mojo? Don't watch "Amazon women" movies if you hate that there has been 3/10 instead of your allowed 1/50.

Also, get used to the fact that in a weak, flabby society no one is going to be attracted to weak characters. So even if you are men who accepted the pressure to be strong in order to get the skinny delicate girl, the general media works by the hand of the market. Which mean generalized movies to attract as much bang-for-the-buck as possible.

How does anyone not see a weak, delicate female character in an action movie as a waste of time?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 AM

15,587 posts, read 7,468,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Ever notice how far they have to go to make a comparrison...like placing a woman in a higher class against a newbie male (Who is smaller as well.) Or a woman at the top of her game against an old man long since retired...try going equal for equal...
Quote:
You wouldn't say that if it were two men, about the same height and build ...

U S Army Best Warrior Competition Combatives Tournament, Part 4 AiirSource

Ever hear of shirley muldowney ? Hollywood did a movie ... true story. Just so you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So, now you KNOW what I would or wouldn't say? Wow! that's quite a talent! As for Muldowney...Please tell me how drag racing skills equal being physically as strong and fast as men?

You're changing the subject...no one is talking about women not having skills or even being able to beat some men at physical stuff. The topic is about Hollywood overcompensating with the whole Girl-Power thing!

I noticed your side glossed right over my post about the Olympics...was it because you had NOTHING? You cannot debate the raw facts...the BEST women CANNOT beat the BEST men...end of story!

But don't fret...because your side doesn't believe in genders anyway....so why are your panties in a bunch about defending women when they don't even exist anymore?
I went and picked up your post, it appears at the top of this one, what Olympics? Were the women and men in the Army competitions, both same height and same build? I know they were, that is why I picked 'em and then you come up with, an age difference? Talk about a stretch.

I am not defending women as I don't have to. Women do well enough on their own without someone like myself putting them in the defense. Political, equality. I see you do not get that, and you probably never will, but one day it will be, I have faith.

Women have been competing in a man's world, since time began ... change is coming, hide and watch.

Hollywood is helping a bit, don't like it, don't watch it ... nuff said.

Have you not seen Hollywood overcompensate the men's physical capabilities? They use to put a warning label, "Do Not Try This At Home".

Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 AM

15,587 posts, read 7,468,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Do any of you guys realize that although male characters beating other male characters was the norm basically an eternity, you guys didn't feel inferior by it or feel it taxing on your ego/mojo? Don't watch "Amazon women" movies if you hate that there has been 3/10 instead of your allowed 1/50.

Also, get used to the fact that in a weak, flabby society no one is going to be attracted to weak characters. So even if you are men who accepted the pressure to be strong in order to get the skinny delicate girl, the general media works by the hand of the market. Which mean generalized movies to attract as much bang-for-the-buck as possible.

How does anyone not see a weak, delicate female character in an action movie as a waste of time?
It seems like they want to see the women rescued, not being portrayed as the one doing the rescue.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
It seems like they want to see the women rescued, not being portrayed as the one doing the rescue.
Funny...you can't debate point to point....you have to debate some strawman point you alone make and assign to whoever you're failing a debate with.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 AM

4,819 posts, read 1,988,797 times
Well, I guess we'll find out if women are equal in urban warfare and hand to hand combat in our next war. They now can serve in the U.S. Army's infantry, armor, cavalry and in other Combat Arms units.

I know people are going to say that we are no longer fighting in the trenches like in World War One, but there will be times when you will have to "hold and defend" for whatever reason(s). In that case, once you're out of ammo and/or cut off from supplies and reinforcements, you will have to go back to the bayonet, entrenching tools, hammers, axes or anything else you can get your hands on to continue the fight.

This kind of fighting is seriously rough and MANY men simply cannot fight in those conditions or in any conditions at all since they do not have the instincts or the heart, so it will be interesting to see how women fair in true close quarter combat.

Personally, I'm fine with women being allowed into Direct Combat positions and I think it's time for them to be required to sign up for selective services once they turn 18... Which would only be fair and since we're in the 21st century now, it's only right as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,382,921 times
You had to watch yourself using Hai Karate aftershave in the 70s, or Valerie Leon would get ya!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VK1eNbKCME

Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Well, I guess we'll find out if women are equal in urban warfare and hand to hand combat in our next war. They now can serve in the U.S. Army's infantry, armor, cavalry and in other Combat Arms units.

I know people are going to say that we are no longer fighting in the trenches like in World War One, but there will be times when you will have to "hold and defend" for whatever reason(s). In that case, once you're out of ammo and/or cut off from supplies and reinforcements, you will have to go back to the bayonet, entrenching tools, hammers, axes or anything else you can get your hands on to continue the fight.

This kind of fighting is seriously rough and MANY men simply cannot fight in those conditions or in any conditions at all since they do not have the instincts or the heart, so it will be interesting to see how women fair in true close quarter combat.

Personally, I'm fine with women being allowed into Direct Combat positions and I think it's time for them to be required to sign up for selective services once they turn 18... Which would only be fair and since we're in the 21st century now, it's only right as well.
Yeah....and how many have passed any SF training? For that matter, how many can pass with the same requirements as the men have even for basic stuff? Fact is they are few (none) and far between...unless we greatly reduce the requirements as they are now doing...so I hear. Oh, you didn't realize that there are different requirements for each sex...guess what? There are!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,383,782 times
I sick of a similar phenomenon in the portrayal of great male artistic figures from the part. If I am watching a film or reading a book whose premise is that it was really a servant girl/love interest who gave Beethoven the key ideas for major works or helped Vermeer with his composition, I just stop then and there. Sure, Beethoven, Vermeer and others were not entirely original geniuses that came up with everything on their own, but I’m pretty sure they were influenced by their teachers as well as other artists of the day, not by the girls who swept up after them or haggled at the market for the best cut of meat. Just a hunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies