Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,646,759 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't knock Emily Blunt. She towers over ScarJo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,501,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Emily Blunt? She's 5'7 and works out. She's not some tiny, fragile little thing. I'm guessing that's what you meant by comparing her to a dog.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/c2...a361eac9e3.jpg
Have you seen the movie? The fact that someone is toned and "works out" doesn't mean they can take down guys twice their size. 5'7" isn't tall - I should know, I'm the same height.

I'm sorry for my inelegant comparison, but if she were ever actually in a situation where she had to kick a guy's ass, I think Don Knotts is about the only one she might have a chance against. And he's dead.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,222,677 times
It is truly pitiful IMO that the OP and a few others resorted to name calling and silly labels ("SJW, snowflake, virtue signaler") because they felt threatened when some posters had the audacity to disagree. Most posters here are smart enough to realize that speaks volumes about them as easily offended and seriously insecure about women and their more prominent role in today's society. A message to those posters: it is 2019, not 1959. Women represent about 50% of the population and this guy has no problem with them being portrayed as strong heroes in movies.Try to adapt.

Furthermore, if you don't want to watch an action movie with a woman as the strong hero, no one forces you to do so. If you keep doing the same thing over and over and then keep complaining, I may have to send you one of my refrigerator magnets that says: "Would you like some cheese with that whine?"

Seriously though, remember they are just fictional movies. Hopefully, the OP learned something from the posts on this thread (many very well said btw!) and will consider updating his views.

The lesson: If you start a thread, especially an opinionated one, be prepared to expect differing views to be expressed. Finally, I agree that many of the fighting scenes in movies where only men are involved are unrealistic, too!

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-15-2019 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,073,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you seen the movie? The fact that someone is toned and "works out" doesn't mean they can take down guys twice their size. 5'7" isn't tall - I should know, I'm the same height.
Yes, I've seen the movie. I enjoyed Emily Blunt's character, and didn't see anything wrong with how she was portrayed.

The average height of a woman is 5'4. Calling a woman who is taller then average a tiny dog doesn't make sense. Yes, there are plenty of women taller than Emily Blunt, but it's not like she is short.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,222,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I've seen the movie. I enjoyed Emily Blunt's character, and didn't see anything wrong with how she was portrayed.

The average height of a woman is 5'4. Calling a woman who is taller then average a tiny dog doesn't make sense. Yes, there are plenty of women taller than Emily Blunt, but it's not like she is short.
So true. Excellent reply. I can't rep you at this time. There are many things to be offended about, but a strong woman hero in a fictional action movie is not one of them IMO. I will have to put that movie on my list. Have not seen it yet.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,556,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Now, to take a real life example, from my very own life, in fact... I am roughly 5'4", and weigh about 135lbs. I had a guy try to assault me one time, who was every bit of 6"0", and probably a good 170-175. He left in far worse condition than I did. I have had very little "training" of any kind, and bested a man a lot larger than myself. So why is it so unrealistic?
This is the 4th story from a real life woman where the woman bested a man.

Hey guys, do you still believe a woman could never fight a man and win?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,979,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
"virtue signaling", "PC", "Snowflake". They're all over used.

Someone finds their voice and speaks up about mistreatment, and suddenly they're snow flakes. Hey guys...some of you are acting like snowflakes in this thread.

(Let the sputtering ensue.)
Not just over used, but completely cliche at this point.

Do people know how stupid they sound when they insist on using these terms (non ironically), like they're all that and a bag of chips? Just as stupid as I sounded just now saying "all that and a bag of chips", like it's the cool new slang.

"Virtue signaling", "snowflake", "SJW", "Are you triggered?", and "PC" are the "Talk to the hand!" and "$how me the money!!" of chat boards. So corny.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 01-15-2019 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,979,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/JusticeServ...le_their_size/

Thought I was getting woke after reading this thread. I can't hardly believe the female didn't prevail. Hollywood has mislead me.
Because the female in that video is an 11 year old child, and she is going up against a giant adult man, IN REAL LIFE.

She is not a mutant, a witch, an alien, an android, a poltergeist, a post apocalyptic hybrid being, or a top secret CIA-trained murder machine. She doesn't have super powers or super strength, does not have supernatural abilities, does not have psychokinetic abilities, cannot cast spells.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,067,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is the 4th story from a real life woman where the woman bested a man.

Hey guys, do you still believe a woman could never fight a man and win?
No...just that they could never fight a REAL man and win. If that even really happened (and isn't the product of a female's delusional mind....emboldened more and more by gay/feminist/gynocentric Hollywood) then the "guy" was either an effeminate man-bunner, drunk off his azz and not seeing straight or did not go all out in trying to "best" her.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,067,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is the real problem here. Straight, white men are afraid of losing power in a REAL world populated by strong, competent women and people of color.
WHITE is a color.....I've seen white crayons in Crayola's Colored Crayons.....OOOPS!!! Don't call the PC POLICE - I guess that should be Crayola's Crayons of Color...LOL.

BTW, saying "people of color" is the EXACT same as saying "colored people" but in their drive to seem progressive fools don't even see it.

And...I have no issue with EQUAL opportunity...problem is women/minorities get advancement/opportunities/promotions not in SPITE of their gender/race but BECAUSE of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies