Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the carbine be banned?
yes. 3 3.37%
yes, but only if it meets assault-weapon specifications. 2 2.25%
no, don't ban it at all. 80 89.89%
other (please explain below). 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:16 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL, yea. An antique that if a goblin who probably wouldn't know any better would put modern ammunition in and it would blow up in their face if they tried to use it.
I have one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have one of those.

Me too. And old exposed hammer Damascus barreled Pieper side by side made in 1892. It's in great shape but I won't shoot it even with the right black powder shells. Don't trust the Damascine barrels. If some gang member wound up with it somehow their first move would be to saw it off and then stuff modern 00 buck rounds in it.

They could then kiss their face goodbye when they fire it.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Me too. And old exposed hammer Damascus barreled Pieper side by side made in 1892. It's in great shape but I won't shoot it even with the right black powder shells. Don't trust the Damascine barrels. If some gang member wound up with it somehow their first move would be to saw it off and then stuff modern 00 buck rounds in it.

They could then kiss their face goodbye when they fire it.
Everything I have will shoot and I have ammo for them!. Even the Arisika and type 26 Grandps bought home!!!
By God now that I think about it that Arisaka is a carbine!!!!!! Ole Travis will have my locked up yet!!!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Wonder if she used the very dangerous carbine, or if it had a high magazine clip.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/two-...003753973.html

Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Everything I have will shoot and I have ammo for them!. Even the Arisika and type 26 Grandps bought home!!!
By God now that I think about it that Arisaka is a carbine!!!!!! Ole Travis will have my locked up yet!!!

Hell he'd lock us all up and deep six the key. He's got the "carbine" thing all screwed up. Like a carbine is some sort of weapon that needs to be classified as a destructive device. Sheesh I didn't know that a shorter barrel could make a rifle so deadly in human hands. Boggles the mind.

It's been explained to him over and over but he clings to the weird idea that a carbine is somehow more than a standard length rifle. (sigh)

Old 01-18-2019, 08:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You know, technically, I would think "they" would welcome the carbine and not the full size rifle.

Why?

The carbine, by the nature of its shorter barrel, is shorter range........and wouldn't "you" want the other side to have less range to reach and touch you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Curiously Whitman also bought and brought along the weapon described as 'the CARBINE" in the original post.

even with the shorter barrel, the carbine can still reach out and touch someone at up to 600 yards. whitman had the carbine if he needed it since the ranges he was shooting at was up to 400 yards.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In a recent thread a poster who's an expert on guns pointed out that the AR-15 actually replaced a weapon called the 'M1 Carbine.'
//www.city-data.com/forum/54067203-post16.html
Although I have heard the term 'carbine' before, I was not fully familiar with it, so I looked it up. It turns out that it is defined as a "light automatic rifle,' in other words, an assault style weapon. Yet as far as I can find out, it has never been banned, anywhere. It was not banned by the 1994 assault weapon ban signed by President Clinton.

I do know that the 'carbine' was mentioned in the theme song of the classic movie Bonnie and Clyde starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Bonnie and Clyde were depression era gangsters who loved guns. A line of the song says "a half a dozen carbines opened up on them," (when they were apprehended and killed by police). Obviously the carbine is an incredibly powerful weapon that belongs in police hands only. Why is it still legal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVOeKLLm_c

Because no one cares about your incremental tactics toward banning guns in general. Beyond that, your grasp of legal concepts and gun terminology (and technology) is embarrassing. No one on our side is listening to you people anymore.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The M1 Carbine and the M1 Garand are two entirely different rifles. The Garand was .30-06 and loaded with stripper clips (watch your finger!). The M1 Carbine was a short .30 caliber round utilizing 15 and 30 shot magazines.
That’s not entirely true. They share the same kind of rotating bolt and op rod, as well as being gas operated.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The M1 Carbine and the M1 Garand are two entirely different rifles. The Garand was .30-06 and loaded with stripper clips (watch your finger!). The M1 Carbine was a short .30 caliber round utilizing 15 and 30 shot magazines.
Nope. En bloc clips. Watch your thumb!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed- I have a concealed carry and carry an H&K MP-5 or a BMT 9mm in my backpack when hiking (we hike in the mountains every weekend- the choice is not for animals, it is defense against people). Both have 30 round magazines and are PISTOLS.

I also live in a state in which open carry is legal. So.............. when not in a national park, I just sling one of them over the shoulder. When in national parks, we carry bear spray, as it is much more effective on bears and does not harm them.

I wonder what Travis thinks about bear spray? The park rangers carry it and strongly advocate its use over guns for a number of reasons.
What is a BMT 9mm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies