Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the carbine be banned?
yes. 3 3.37%
yes, but only if it meets assault-weapon specifications. 2 2.25%
no, don't ban it at all. 80 89.89%
other (please explain below). 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This has been previously claimed in the thread, but I'm not so sure. These three videos, all presumably done by gun experts, all used the term 'M1 Grande.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVvQ-W94mY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG95bqi6LTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpbnoOci78

There appears to be some confusion regarding the correct spelling. As I've posted before, the M1 Grande obviously a large bulky rifle intended for use by and against large, bulky white males fighting in European land wars. So 'grande,' which means 'large' (I think in Spanish) would make more sense.

I did a search for 'garand' on the Oxford English Dictionary, and it comes up basically empty. It's an obsolete French term that once meant 'guarantee.'
https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/82122...rom=garand#eid

It appears to me that 'Grande' is indeed the correct spelling.
Uh- you're still wrong. As I mentioned before, the rifle is named after the man who invented it.

His name was John Garand. He was born in Canada into a French-Canadian family, but he immigrated to the U.S. when a young man, and Anglicized his first name from Jean to John.

He worked for the Springfield Federal Armory, and was charged with inventing a new combat rifle after WWI. It took him 15 years to perfect his design. As a federal employee, he was awarded the patents for his new rifle, but gave them to the government, and worked at the armory until he retired.

Not Grande, or Grandé, Garand. It is not a term at all. It is a last name of a family. if you have seen it spelled any other way, the person who spelled it was wrong. All those folks in the videos may be able to shoot the gun, but none of them can spell it's correct name.

Here's his biography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Garand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They are an excellent weapon
But you don’t have a weapon problem you got a people problem
It’s the bad people that actually use assault weapons the most
But are in no way the focus of the gun grab
Assault weapon isn't an actual thing. The made up garbage in fairy tale media and marketing land includes pump shotguns, handguns, about anything some greasy illiterate politician included as a definition. Clips, five hundred rounds a second, heat seeking, all BS. They basically want all firearms classified as "assault weapons". Fight the term so it doesn't become mainstream.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Uh- you're still wrong. As I mentioned before, the rifle is named after the man who invented it.

His name was John Garand. He was born in Canada into a French-Canadian family, but he immigrated to the U.S. when a young man, and Anglicized his first name from Jean to John.

He worked for the Springfield Federal Armory, and was charged with inventing a new combat rifle after WWI. It took him 15 years to perfect his design. As a federal employee, he was awarded the patents for his new rifle, but gave them to the government, and worked at the armory until he retired.

Not Grande, or Grandé, Garand. It is not a term at all. It is a last name of a family. if you have seen it spelled any other way, the person who spelled it was wrong. All those folks in the videos may be able to shoot the gun, but none of them can spell it's correct name.

Here's his biography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Garand
All true...but part of the confusion may stem from the frequent mispronunciation of Garand's name.

The family pronunciation of the name is GAR-und, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

However, many incorrectly place the emphasis on the second syllable (i.e., guh-RAND), and to some ears, this may sound like GRAND. It appears that the OP has succumbed to this all-too-common error.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:02 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Quote:
I would be in favor of it, but I don't think it's politically possible at this point. We did just pass a law in Washington State declaring all semi-automatic style rifles as assault weapons, with certain restrictions put on their sale. Using this definition of 'assault weapon' really simplifies things, and makes enforcement easier for police.
So my .22 semi is now an assault weapon?
Nuts!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
The discussion, definition and legislation in most countries has been in relation to semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech) and not merely carbines and .22 LR Rimfire is usually what is generally permitted with the exception of special licances for culling deer and larger mammmals, which must be killed cleanly.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:48 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
I would be in favor of it, but I don't think it's politically possible at this point. We did just pass a law in Washington State declaring all semi-automatic style rifles as assault weapons, with certain restrictions put on their sale. Using this definition of 'assault weapon' really simplifies things, and makes enforcement easier for police.
Therin lies your problem. Police won't enforce an illegal law. The more anti-gunners push, the more danger they put themselves in. Amiright?

Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Nuts!
Yes, and heaven forbid it has a detachable magazine.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The discussion, definition and legislation in most countries has been in relation to semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech) and not merely carbines and .22 LR Rimfire is usually what is generally permitted with the exception of special licances for culling deer and larger mammmals, which must be killed cleanly.
I'm surprised they haven't started making larger rimfire cartridges again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire_ammunition

Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm surprised they haven't started making larger rimfire cartridges again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire_ammunition
There are two types of licence, firstly a shotgun licence which involves basic checks and secondly a more advanced Firearms Certificate (FAC) for rifles and other weapons.

On the FAC application form you must state the maximum amount (number of bullets) of ammo you wish to keep at any one time, and the type of weapons including target and hunting/culling.

Target shooters are restricted to target ammo. For shooting quarry one is authorised to purchase and hold expanding ammo and must and you are allowed very powerful Single-shot, bolt-action, lever-action and revolver rifles to hunt deer and large mammals. Indeed you must have a very powerful rifle by law to hunt or cull large mammals such as deer cleanly.

According to UK law, a ‘rifle’ is defined as a firearm with a barrel which is longer than 30cm (12 in) and a length longer than 60cm (24 in) that does not fall under the classification of a long-barrelled revolver or a pistol. Single-shot, bolt-action, lever-action and revolver rifles are legal in the UK, however self-loading or pump-action rifles are only allowed in .22 rimfire calibre.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-09-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Nuts!
Yes, that's correct. As I understand it (and I did read most of the 33-page law), any semi-automatic rifle is now classed as an 'assault rifle,' and subject to certain restrictions. The law just went into effect on July 1. It does not apply to hand-guns, except that the law does require all guns to be unloaded and securely locked up when not in use. This is just commonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies