Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't find anything in this ad controversial, either. As you say, it's just treating people (men or women) with respect and not being a jerk.
I'm still trying to find out how cold talking to a woman is disrespectful/being a jerk though.

If we can't come up with a reason I'm going to continue to be toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We are on different planets. Literally.
Whatever floats your boat. But that is not interesting to me at all.

Quote:
What's a "normal situation"?

I don't know where cat calling came into play. Didn't see it in the ad nor have I ever done it.

Girl walks by, and he wants to chase her down? Isn't that essentially cat calling?

A normal situation is talking when you're already interacting for some other reason. At work. In school. At an event where you both show a mutual interest in something. This isn't all that complicated.

Quote:
I'm still trying to find out how cold talking to a woman is disrespectful/being a jerk though.

If we can't come up with a reason I'm going to continue to be toxic.
Do whatever you want.

Women don't really want to be "cold talked" to on the street. They just want to get their crap done without being bothered.

Go get an app. It's 2019.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It is PC, meetooo/times up virtue signaling crap at it's finest but so what?
I think the so what here is that it's coming from a very large, powerful entity. People often dismiss this stuff by noting that the source is someone with no real power and influence, just some random nobody on Twitter, or silly college kid with too much spare time. But in this case it's hard to make that argument. Here is a major corporation (another one) risking a lot of money just to promote PC and virtue signal. You have to wonder... why?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
It's "stalking" to cold talk someone on the street? Or just when a man does it to a woman?

I foresee us setting up a dating guide with you supplying me sanctioned advice. I'll report back on how it works out. Don't think I'm gonna land many chicks minus the ability to even talk to them.

But hey, I've been wrong before. I am a guy after all.

Maybe start by reexamining the use of the term "land many chicks"...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Women don't really want to be "cold talked" to on the street.
Some don't but some do. Many would be thrilled if the actor in that ad approached them on the street and managed to be charming. But we're meant to assume that he would be an annoying jerk 'cause... men are jerks.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I think the so what here is that it's coming from a very large, powerful entity. People often dismiss this stuff by noting that the source is someone with no real power and influence, just some random nobody on Twitter, or silly college kid with too much spare time. But in this case it's hard to make that argument. Here is a major corporation (another one) risking a lot of money just to promote PC and virtue signal. You have to wonder... why?
Population control?

I have no idea. It is probably just a bandwagon thing. They know women do most of the shopping and this sounded like a good tactic to sway favor with them in order to sell razors and shaving cream.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. But that is not interesting to me at all.
It's a good think I won't talk to you on the street then.

Quote:
Girl walks by, and he wants to chase her down? Isn't that essentially cat calling?
No?

I mean...cat calling is cat calling. I see a chick walking down the street that's attractive I'm allowed to talk to her. You know, freedom of association and all.

Quote:
A normal situation is talking when you're already interacting for some other reason. At work. In school. At an event where you both show a mutual interest in something. This isn't all that complicated.
What qualifies as a sanctioned interaction? I landed a date once from the chick who gave me an ultrasound when I had a leg issue. Landed another one when a chick smashed into my car in the parking deck back in college.

Sanctioned?

Come to think of it, I've struck out at a much higher percentage with the interactions you've already sanctioned.

Quote:
Do whatever you want.
As long as it's a sanctioned interaction?

Quote:
Women don't really want to be "cold talked" to on the street. They just want to get their crap done without being bothered.

Go get an app. It's 2019.
Speaking for a collective you aren't even part of?

It's getting worse...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Teachers and schools administrators realize without clear proof of wrongdoing to be leery about making an accusation of bullying.

They understand a lawsuit will often be filed and want to be sure their actions (or lack of) aren't held responsible. They follow strict procedures and don't take sides.

The school district might get sued big time but so what?

As long as the classroom teacher and administration aren't canned they live to pick up another paycheck.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Oh, blame it on the testosterone. Half the world's population have lots of testosterone, and a hell of a lot of them don't go around acting misogynist, or bullying, or belittling men without "manly" traits or who are physically weak, timid, socially unskilled, etc. But if you still insist on using testosterone an excuse, then it's legitimate to use "poor social environment" or "life stress" and such as an excuse to treat violent criminals with kid gloves.

Also, Appeals to Nature (men are strong and dominant) are not a justification. They may explain why something did happen, but not whether it's right to do. Anybody using that argument to excuse behavior implies humans have no more capacity for self-reflection and overruling their inner behavioral impulses than do the wild animals.

Speaking of which, this post (#286) I call "natural" male dominance behaviors obsolete at best, inhumane at worst, and serve no purpose in modern societies in any case.

Often, men (even unknowingly) tacitly accept or openly celebrate displays of so-called "manly" traits when they're used to degrade, hurt, humiliate, or substantially disadvantage others. A lot even celebrate the degradation and humiliation itself, particularly from the "manbro" types.

The reason the ad's urging other men to hold toxic masculinity to account is that those kinds of d-bags usually only respect other men of equal rank. The weaker men can't resist. Women calling them to account? These toxic masculinists will simply say "Oh, that's just a woman's way of thinking. You know how squeamish they are about that kind of stuff. They don't get what it means to be a manly man".
Even worse, other bystanders even quietly support the acts of the bystander, or at least suggest the victim deserves such treatment. That is why the ad is calling the non-toxic men to hold the toxic portion of their own to account - because other men (especially non-toxic types of "manly men") have a special credibility with these other self-styled "real men" that other people don't have.
You need to study evolution biology. I suggest you buy Robert Sapolsky
BEHAVE
The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
By Robert M. Sapolsky
790 pp. Penguin Press. $35

We are animals and our limbic system is wired to act like an animal. The only difference between us and apes is avery large frontal lobe that can modulate animal instincts most of the time, but not all the time.

Man and woman are different and men are more violent due to evolution. Making an observation does not mean I approve of the behavior. I am simply stating a fact: Sexual dimorphism is real and observed in many other species.

When the male is larger the system is patriarchal. If the female is larger the system is matriarchal. You need to study biology lady.

A real man is strong, but not abusive. You women want to turn men into women and that does not work.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You need to study evolution biology. I suggest you buy Robert Sapolsky
BEHAVE
The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
By Robert M. Sapolsky
790 pp. Penguin Press. $35

We are animals and our limbic system is wired to act like an animal. The only difference between us and apes is avery large frontal lobe that can modulate animal instincts most of the time, but not all the time.

Man and woman are different and men are more violent due to evolution. Making an observation does not mean I approve of the behavior. I am simply stating a fact: Sexual dimorphism is real and observed in many other species.

When the male is larger the system is patriarchal. If the female is larger the system is matriarchal. You need to study biology lady.

A real man is strong, but not abusive. You women want to turn men into women and that does not work.
Interesting. I had a college buddy whose girlfriend at the time was all about gender studies and the roles of men/women.

Well, after a while they moved into an apartment together. Not long after moving in there were some problems with a neighbor. The girlfriend asked my buddy to speak with the man but he was reluctant because the neighbor had a temper.

The girlfriend told my buddy she couldn't live with a coward and took off.

Don't recall if he ever confronted the neighbor but after the girlfriend left him he moved back East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies