Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 5,132 times

Advertisements

First off, I am not a Donald Trump supporter. I am a liberal Democrat and hope he loses. But I have to give the devil his due. He has a powerful personality and makes his opponents look about 2 inches tall in a debate.

I was looking at a number of old YOUTUBE videos that showed the Presidential Debates. What really hit me was how Donald Trump the candidate was able to intimidate all his Republican challengers. No one seemed to have the charisma, or stature, or power of personality to take on Donald Trump. He made them all seem small and nerdy. He is a powerful bully. He even knocked New Jersey Governor and fellow bully Chris Christie down to size.

Maybe it is Trump's physical size, maybe his booming masculine voice, his ability to move into people's personal space, his constant interruptions, or his incredible ability to insult people effectively that made his competition come off as nerdy dorks. I would like to see a debate between Don Rickles, in his prime, and Donald Trump.

I look at many of the expected Democratic candidates and I see Donald Trump eating them for lunch.

Which candidates would stand up to him in such a way that they would not look like nerds on stage with the powerful Donald Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Joe Biden would rip him apart in the most amusing of ways.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 PM

463 posts, read 189,478 times
"WE'RE SICK OF OLD WHITE MEN RUNNING, WE DON'T NEED THEM TO TELL US WHAT TO DO"

- Standard liberal who wants to run either Biden or Sanders as their #1 pick

Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Trump lost all three of his debates with Hillary. Keep that in mind.

The first debate he was so unhinged SNL literally just repeated what he said for jokes. The second debate he became Internet's favorite meme with his creepy stalking of Hillary.

The thing is his base was going to vote for him no matter what and even ardent Trumpeters have never touted his debates as his strength. There are many Democrats who'd eat Trump for lunch. Starting with Joe Biden, Sanders, Beto, Warren, Kamala, etc.

The thing with Republicans is that they are bad with humor. That's Democrats' wheel house, and you can easily make Trump looks foolish by just humoring him on stage.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 5,132 times
I think the two candidates that have the strongest stage presence and pit bull persona are California Senator Kamala Harris and New Jersey Senator Cory Booker.

Intellectually all the candidates on the Democratic side would beat Trump in a debate but that is not what impresses the typical voter. There are 5 red necks and idiots who like people who show stature and strength for every college types who like the intellectual thoughts of Elizabeth Warren.

I don't like either of them but they have the stature to take on Trump in a Presidential Debate setting.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Said the same news channels that swore he did not have a chance to win. Smarten up a bit, you are being played.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times
I'm a conversative-independent (yes, that exists) who voted for Trump, and thinks he's doing a reasonably good job. I've voted GOP and DNC in the past.

Now, onto the 2020 Democratic candidates. Here's a list of qualities that are a guarantee re-election for Trump:
- Any progressive, ultra-left candidate
- A candidate 70 years or older
- Someone who's trying to out-bully Trump.

Here's someone who can win:
- Obama 2.0: young, charisma, hope & change, (pretending to be a) moderate

I don't know enough of all of the Democratic candidates, but there must be a dark horse among their candidates.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:

The first debate he was so unhinged SNL literally just repeated what he said for jokes. The second debate he became Internet's favorite meme with his creepy stalking of Hillary.

The thing is his base was going to vote for him no matter what and even ardent Trumpeters have never touted his debates as his strength. There are many Democrats who'd eat Trump for lunch. Starting with Joe Biden, Sanders, Beto, Warren, Kamala, etc.

The thing with Republicans is that they are bad with humor. That's Democrats' wheel house, and you can easily make Trump looks foolish by just humoring him on stage.

That's the attitude that made Trump win. The liberal networks and newspapers declared that Hillary won. The American people thought differently.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head librarian View Post
First off, I am not a Donald Trump supporter. I am a liberal Democrat and hope he loses. But I have to give the devil his due. He has a powerful personality and makes his opponents look about 2 inches tall in a debate.

I was looking at a number of old YOUTUBE videos that showed the Presidential Debates. What really hit me was how Donald Trump the candidate was able to intimidate all his Republican challengers. No one seemed to have the charisma, or stature, or power of personality to take on Donald Trump. He made them all seem small and nerdy. He is a powerful bully. He even knocked New Jersey Governor and fellow bully Chris Christie down to size.

Maybe it is Trump's physical size, maybe his booming masculine voice, his ability to move into people's personal space, his constant interruptions, or his incredible ability to insult people effectively that made his competition come off as nerdy dorks. I would like to see a debate between Don Rickles, in his prime, and Donald Trump.

I look at many of the expected Democratic candidates and I see Donald Trump eating them for lunch.

Which candidates would stand up to him in such a way that they would not look like nerds on stage with the powerful Donald Trump?
Yes, you are right .. However, those who have held corporate jobs or positions of power wouldn't indulge in personal attacks or interrupt in the name of being witty or smart.

The masses think its just another show on TV forgetting that its against their own interests.

I wouldnt have voted for Hillary anyways because she blew her best chance in 2008 and its hard for a party to win back to back elections.

Arnold has the credibility, but again someone like Chris Tucker has a better chance than him in a debate.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:

He lost all three???? I guess he was also going to lose the election too

Good question from the OP. Honestly I don’t know. If the Dems run with a candidate closer to the middle they may win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies