Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The UK joined the EU Common Market when Gordon Brown, without the support of the people, signed the Lisbon Treaty. A previous vote had failed and he went around it. His actions and policies destroyed the Labor Party. They are still now very much a minority party.

The UK did not join the Eurozone, the part of the EU that surrendered its national currency, turned control of it to the ECB, and adopted the Euro.

The UK uses the Pound Sterling which is issued by the Bank of England.
So, NO. The Euro is not an accepted currency in Britain, like a dollar bill is at the exchange rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, NO. The Euro is not an accepted currency in Britain, like a dollar bill is at the exchange rate?
Correct.

If you go there as a tourist, you have to exchange your $$ or €€ into ££. Here's the current exchange rate.

British Pound/US Dollar (FOREX:GBPUSD) FOREX Foreign Exchange and Precious Metals Chart & Quotes - INO.com

Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Exactly like a dollar bill: Not at all, when purchasing stuff. You go to the bank to exchange. (Some enterprising people in the touristy areas will take them, of course, but at an atrocious rate.)

Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well the UK has a plan, issue is you can't determine the divorce settlement prior to filing for divorce. Mays plan was just the ordered exit plan, but you knew that didn't you?
And a pretty bad plan it was. Because May - have I mentioned I don't think highly of her abilities, as a politician or for that matter elsewhere - didn't have anything to bring to the table. The people who engineered the Brexit promised what they knew they couldn't possibly deliver, and they ran away as soon as they could. May took on the task of providing a dose of reality - of course that was turned down.

Quote:
I mean how stupid do you think the EU council would have to be to negotiate your exit plan BEFORE you make a statement of leaving.
Invoking article 50 doesn't merely state your intent of leaving, it triggers the two-year countdown. And May frittered that time away. She didn't even have her own cabinet's negotiation goals defined before she sprang that. It was just a stunt supposed to bolster the Tory majority and give a her a free hand, and instead she lost so many seats, she had to lean on the the DUP to et anything done

Quote:
Further you should know, the sticking point of this plan is that the UK will not put restrictions on the NI/RoI border, nor cede Northern Ireland to de facto European rule. The exit plan demanded the UK have a hard border, preferably the Irish Sea, but if not that at the NI/RoI border. Without an exit plan, there's no requirement for such a border to be enforced on the UK, however the RoI would be required under EU law to enforce it, oh well. You do get that whole "controlling borders" includes deciding or not if a border should be open, don't you?
What's with the fingerwagging tone, seriously? Anyway, closing the borders to the EU is kinda part of the Brexit - some might say the point, even. The Republic of Ireland is in the EU. The internal Irish border will now be a border between the EU and a non-EU country, and that's entirely the UK's doing. The UK - again - wants the advantages of being in the club after leaving and slamming the door. So of course they're going to wring their hands and say "We totes wanted an open border, it's those EU bastards forcing us". In fact, I suspect we'll hear that a lot.

What a colossal mess.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And a pretty bad plan it was. Because May - have I mentioned I don't think highly of her abilities, as a politician or for that matter elsewhere.
Despite all you said, and I agree with much of it, she's managed in just a few hours to turn it around, and is widely expected to survive the no-confidence vote today.

And more importantly, than anything else, her opponents do not have any sort of consensus on what to do instead.

She's a pretty good politician.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:

What's with the fingerwagging tone, seriously? Anyway, closing the borders to the EU is kinda part of the Brexit - some might say the point, even. The Republic of Ireland is in the EU. The internal Irish border will now be a border between the EU and a non-EU country, and that's entirely the UK's doing. The UK - again - wants the advantages of being in the club after leaving and slamming the door. So of course they're going to wring their hands and say "We totes wanted an open border, it's those EU bastards forcing us". In fact, I suspect we'll hear that a lot.

What a colossal mess.
There is indeed a fair amount of blaming the EU bastards for being "mean" to us.

What's a "totes"?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Despite all you said, and I agree with much of it, she's managed in just a few hours to turn it around, and is widely expected to survive the no-confidence vote today.
Well, yes. The Tories aren't going to give up power just because they're saddled with implementing a decision they don't want. I mean, it's - power. And the DUP are honest politicians - they stay bribed.

Quote:
And more importantly, than anything else, her opponents do not have any sort of consensus on what to do instead. She's a pretty good politician.
I should have qualified. In the sense of grabbing and holding on to power, she's an excellent politician. In the sense of making decisions that benefit her country...

Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What's a "totes"?
I've been in California for too long. Slang for "totally".

Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
You see that's the issue.

Ireland is Ireland that happens to be part of the EU, but it's not the EU.

What advantages are there in having that border open? The biggest benefit is for Ireland, who's trade is predominantly with the UK, both imports and exports, and even where not, there's a lot of goods that transit the UK to Ireland, that now will need to be held at the Irish border pending EU customs.

If you look at agreements, the border has been open since 1923, long before the Irish were part of the EU, and pre-empting the EU open borders agreement by around 70+ years, and the best bit is the UK and Ireland aren't even in the Schengen Treaty area, so don't need to meet Schengen Treaty responsibilities, not having signed the agreement.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but - isn't May a supporter of Brexit? Wasn't she elected on that basis?

Seems to me like she took on the impossible in the first place. No way to satisfy everyone.

I wonder whether she'll resign before the no confidence vote. Since her main mission was to negotiate Brexit with the EU, why would she want to stay on?
Exactly! This was not going to be easy at all, she was just trying to achieve what the people wanted, but the UK only has so much power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies