Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we transition away from the concept of the privately-owned vehicle?
Yes, sooner rather than later! 23 5.26%
No allow privately-owned vehicles, but only if the owner can show need. 9 2.06%
no. 387 88.56%
other (please explain below). 18 4.12%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 09:22 AM

7,616 posts, read 3,271,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Of course some deep blue states are mandating that by 2035 it will be illegal to sell anything that has an internal combustion engine, ICE. That is not that far off kids and electric cars, lawnmowers etc are expensive.
2035 is an arbitrary deadline, and those can be changed to reflect reality on the ground. If those states aren't ready to go full electrical by then those dates will quietly be extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 09:32 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,755,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
2035 is an arbitrary deadline, and those can be changed to reflect reality on the ground. If those states aren't ready to go full electrical by then those dates will quietly be extended.
If reality was actually a consideration for these DSA fascists, they wouldn't pass something so colossally stupid in the first place.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:06 PM

8,705 posts, read 4,948,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You see things from your own limited perspective. Many people don't have a driveway. Many people living in cities have to park on the street or pay for a place to park. Many would prefer not to own a vehicle, but have occasional needs for one. Many of my kids friends have moved from our rural area to New York City and don't own cars. Their biggest need for one is to drive home to Western PA to see their parents.
Most people do have cars, and need them. Not all people live in the city. What about those that are miles from a store, health care, churches, their jobs, and any where else they might need or want to go.
New York City!! I certainly would not want a child of mine walking the streets of NewYork City.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:31 PM

10,281 posts, read 10,526,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Most people do have cars, and need them. Not all people live in the city. What about those that are miles from a store, health care, churches, their jobs, and any where else they might need or want to go.
New York City!! I certainly would not want a child of mine walking the streets of NewYork City.
Sure, if you're looking at today. The question was do we "need to transition away from the privately-owned vehicles" in the future. At what price of gas will people start changing their habits?

My response was that many people have already changed their way of living. Obviously you don't live in New York or any other big city. Many people in Europe and Japan get along fine without a car. They have much more dense cities and much better public transportation.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:43 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,167,325 times
We're not going to do that. We don't have what it takes to do that. The way America is set up, it's too spread out to do that. Public transportation in many cities is such that it's not very good or reliable.

I held my nose and bought a car for a reason. Where I currently live, public transportation is unreliable. It's just buses and they don't run on Sunday. They also stop running after 8 or 9 pm. I live too far from work for walking to be a viable option. I need to be able to get wherever I need to go whenever I need to. Most places in the USA are not designed to be traversed any other way than the car.

While I would love to not have to use my car very much, that would only work if America as a whole changed.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Sure, if you're looking at today. The question was do we "need to transition away from the privately-owned vehicles" in the future. At what price of gas will people start changing their habits?

My response was that many people have already changed their way of living. Obviously you don't live in New York or any other big city. Many people in Europe and Japan get along fine without a car. They have much more dense cities and much better public transportation.
The geography of said places is such that they can do that. I've been to the UK. I have taken British Rail. It's far better than what we have here in America. I miss it so much. Sadly, I think many people will revolt before having that equivalent. For years I've advocated for America to do things the way the UK or Germany does it (I'm still a pro-gun advocate though, that will not change). I'm in my mid 30s and I've come to a conclusion that it's not going to happen unless it's through sudden force. America is not going to give up the private automobile. Where I live, you need a car to get to many places. The public transportation isn't very good, and there isn't much political will to make it better. What I see happening are those who are adamant about keeping their cars revolting about gas prices.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
I think that inside every progressive there's a Stalinist that wants to force their values on everyone else.
I could say the same thing about many conservatives. Many people from both aides have a dictatorial mindset.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:51 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,755,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The geography of said places is such that they can do that. I've been to the UK. I have taken British Rail. It's far better than what we have here in America. I miss it so much. Sadly, I think many people will revolt before having that equivalent. For years I've advocated for America to do things the way the UK or Germany does it (I'm still a pro-gun advocate though, that will not change). I'm in my mid 30s and I've come to a conclusion that it's not going to happen unless it's through sudden force. America is not going to give up the private automobile. Where I live, you need a car to get to many places. The public transportation isn't very good, and there isn't much political will to make it better. What I see happening are those who are adamant about keeping their cars revolting about gas prices.
I would pay more taxes if we adopted the UK tax brackets and substantially more if we adopted the German ones.

That alone is a dealbreaker. No thanks. I pay too much already. We don't need yet another giant boondoggle keep throwing money at in perpetuity.

It's a straightforward accounting equation. Government = 4x the cost and 1/4 the quality.

Last edited by albert648; 03-11-2022 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-11-2022, 12:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,921,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
There is nothing sacred about being able to own a car. It's not in the US Constitution.

In this era of mass transit, Uber, Lyft, etc. the private car is on its way to being obsolete. All that is needed is a good legislative kick in the pants to send the privately-owned vehicle on its way.

The benefits would be multifarious. We would not need to have scores of different models and makes. Young males would no longer feel a need to have a model that can do 200 MPH to impress the ladies. It would generally eliminate the 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem when it comes to vehicles. Instead, automobiles could be engineered for maximum environmental friendliness.

We have already as a country seen fit to highly regulate cars. Airbags, seatbelts, etc. are now mandatory. Police spend much of their time issuing tickets for driving violations. This would just be taking the next step.

I am not an engineer, but it seems obvious that when autonomous vehicles come along, it will be much better if today's non-autonomous vehicles can be eliminated. The AVs will be able to readily able to communicate with each other, as machines, but the non-AVs will present a problem. They will be like beetles in an ant colony, causing nothing but problems. What do you think?
Yep, they would have fentanyl instead. Progress!

Old 03-11-2022, 01:04 PM

7,191 posts, read 3,400,284 times
Quote:
You see things from your own limited perspective. Many people don't have a driveway. Many people living in cities have to park on the street or pay for a place to park. Many would prefer not to own a vehicle, but have occasional needs for one. Many of my kids friends have moved from our rural area to New York City and don't own cars. Their biggest need for one is to drive home to Western PA to see their parents.
So therefore according to your beliefs there should be a law eliminating all private ownership of vehicles for everyone because some people live in the city. makes perfect sense. one size fits all.

The great thing about freedom is that if you don’t want a car you don’t have to have one amazing isn’t it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies