Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 AM

29,030 posts, read 14,371,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It sounds like most of you don't even know what sharia law is. We already have Catholic, Jewish and other religious tribunals that resolve marital and other conflicts. That's basically what sharia law is. It's a way of resolving conflict for those of that religion, a sort of mediation. We have freedom of religion and Muslims are entitled to resolve conflicts through religious means as long as they do not conflict with our secular laws. Can you imagine telling a Catholic that it is wrong for him to have his marriage annulled through his church? You'd be screaming about freedom of religion.

I guess it all comes down to interpretation, and how far it is to be carried out. I see a lot of things in this list that I personally would not adhere to, and I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't either.
As far as the other religions you brought up, we don't follow those either.

SHARIA LAW ? LIST OF KEY RULES ? What Is Sharia Law?

Women under Sharia Law – The Dilemma of “Wife Beating Protocol”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It sounds like most of you don't even know what sharia law is. We already have Catholic, Jewish and other religious tribunals that resolve marital and other conflicts. That's basically what sharia law is. It's a way of resolving conflict for those of that religion, a sort of mediation. We have freedom of religion and Muslims are entitled to resolve conflicts through religious means as long as they do not conflict with our secular laws. Can you imagine telling a Catholic that it is wrong for him to have his marriage annulled through his church? You'd be screaming about freedom of religion.
The Amish do it also. It helps keep our courts running better. As long as it's not something criminal in nature there really is little we can do nor should we.

If certain sects want to divvy up property or something, their own way, have at it. We always have the regular court system to fall back on if you disagree with the outcome.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM

25,409 posts, read 9,715,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
its on the way. People who support it are going to deserve their punishments.
I don't know a person in this country who support sharia law.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,652,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
With people of Islamic faith running for and winning state and loca elections across the US, could we ever see anyone with a hidden agenda to try and introduce Sharia Law to the United States? I'm sure I could find this out through hours of researching, but I'm wondering if any more knowledgeable members of CD know for sure what the skinny is on this subject. It concerns me, especially with the case of those Michigan doctors practicing female mutilation for years, ten years wasn't it? Whatever happened to them anyway. That case was abhorrent.
And you intend to control the future exactly how?

All we can do is live according to our values. If the founders were right - and I believe they got it mostly right - then future Americans will continue to value freedom of/from religion as we do, because it’s just a better way to live.

Currently, Muslims are about 1% of our population. I don’t know how many of those would support a fundamentalist Muslim government, but I know that it’s not all of them. So no, neither you nor I will live to see that happen. I know of no way for dead people to control the living.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM

45,328 posts, read 26,898,300 times
Answering the thread title...

You need to believe it will happen to guard against it actually happening.

Otherwise, you will respond like Mr. Neutral...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Who would be silly enough to really believe this could happen?
... and it will come upon us like a frog in the slow heat of the crock pot.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,885,167 times
Ordinarily the answer to this is obviously "no", no discussion required.

With Trump, nothing should surprise us. If he thought implementing Sharia law would be beneficial to him he would declare an emergency order tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:23 PM

29,030 posts, read 14,371,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Ordinarily the answer to this is obviously "no", no discussion required.

With Trump, nothing should surprise us. If he thought implementing Sharia law would be beneficial to him he would declare an emergency order tomorrow.

Lol !!! Actually took 6 whole pages for a Trump reference ... must be a slow day or something.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
How do you freaks live in such a perpetual state of self-induced, irrational fear? You must like that state of being because you so self-indulgently and so frequently imagine this impossible scenario. Dropped on your head as babies maybe?
hmm, I wonder if women walking around, covered from head to toe tells me that Sharia is freedom.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,258,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, I wonder if women walking around, covered from head to toe tells me that Sharia is freedom.
She might. Seen plenty of youtubes from Muslim women arguing so. Religious fanatics of all varieties are fanatical.

I wouldn't, because I live in a secular country with the concept of no official religion being one of it's primary tenets. We're no closer to having Sharia Law than we are immortality. It's something for bored, angry, stupid people to get their panties in a wad over and some of the hucksters they listen to make some money off it.

So silly.

Last edited by TKO; 01-16-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
One could ask the same about the Amish or Mennonite's but it seems we rarely do. One might even ask it about the Catholic Church that still refuses to allow women lead a service or opt for birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies