Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Henrietta Lacks, a black tobacco farmer who died in North Carolina in 1951, is the mother of modern medicine. And to think I never heard of her until now. It just goes to show how racist American education used to be, not recognizing the contributions of women and POC. To racists like James Watson they gave Nobel Prizes, and to Henrietta... nothing. But now finally there is some justice.

CNN: The Smithsonian unveils a portrait of Henrietta Lacks, the black farmer whose cells led to medical miracles

Her story definitely does deserve to be told more. The contributions her cells have provided to biological sciences, biotech/pharma R&D are amazingly large. Frankly, it would be difficult to fully calculate.

I learned about her in school when we learned how to grow HeLa cells, and I found it to be incredibly fascinating.

Also, a bit sad - particularly in how it all played out re: patient consent, and how her family was treated through it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I fell off my bike in '78. I contributed to physics and dermatology.
You really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
WTF?

She had cells cut of her cervix and that gets her the title of "Mother of Modern Medicine"?

I found the person responsible for doing the actual work of propagating the HeLa cell line: Dr. George Otto Grey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Otto_Gey

He's the one who saved lives. Dude didn't even get his name mentioned in the article.

I learned about him in school, particularly in regards to human cell growth techniques. Don't worry, he gets his recognition.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Her story definitely does deserve to be told more. The contributions her cells have provided to biological sciences, biotech/pharma R&D are amazingly large. Frankly, it would be difficult to fully calculate.

I learned about her in school when we learned how to grow HeLa cells, and I found it to be incredibly fascinating.

Also, a bit sad.
Does a portrait in the Smithsonian under the heading "The Mother of Modern Medicine" show her respect or mockery? She did nothing.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Does a portrait in the Smithsonian under the heading "The Mother of Modern Medicine" show her respect or mockery? She did nothing.
It doesn't offend me. Why does it offend you?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:

Also, a bit sad - particularly in how it all played out, and how her family was treated through it all.
It's an interesting side note. Nothing more.

When the apple fell off the tree and bopped Newton (or merely fell off as nobody knows for sure if it hit him) we gave credit to Newton...not the apple.

Though I now expect The Smithsonian to scrub Newton out of their exhibits and replace him with apples after mentioning this on the internet.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You really don't know what you're talking about.
Actually, that analogy works well. If a physicist had observed Absolom falling off his bike, and then made some important new insight about the laws of motion and gravity, then Absolom's contribution to physics would be similar to that made by Henrietta to medicine.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It doesn't offend me. Why does it offend you?
...not the question I asked.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
You and I have posted here for years. Are you really that clueless as to my views on the subject? Are you really that oblivious to satire? It boggles the mind.
Ah, darn it, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
SO why do you begrudge this woman? Seriously? Is it becuase her sacrifice was not enough? WHose was more? Certainly not yours./
Not begrudging her at all.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
I learned about him in school, particularly in regards to human cell growth techniques. Don't worry, he gets his recognition.
He didn't in the article nor is he in the exhibit.

From The Smithsonian's website:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...cells-6421299/

No mention of Gey in there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies