Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
DOS or not both are 100% American and all that really matters.
100% American? I don’t think so, not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 02:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Like Obama, Kamala Harris made up "Black" credentials by attending Howard, and doing what she thought were "Black" things. It was purely for her ability to use all that later. Hypocrite, phony.
They are both black.How did the "make up" being black? Not all black people are descendants of slaves. There are black - African people who live all over the world.

I was not wild about Obama because he was more centrist in office than what I expected. I thought he would stand up to the horrible lies and allegations launched by loons like tRump.

However, Barack Obama is a constitutional scholar and a statesman.

He is African American because that is how he is seen, and that is how he self identifies. I don't get to define his racial identity, his religion, or his ancestry.

I was raised in a Jewish family. My ancestry is Russian, Belorussian, Polish and Ukrainian.

There are fanatically religious Jews who would say that I am "not a Jew"because I identify with the Reform movement.

This is how this goes - Obama and Harris get to identify as black, and most people who meet them would agree. If having "white blood" makes a person 'white" not black, tell that to the thousands of Black Americans who have European ancestry because their triple great grandmothers were raped by their slave "masters".

I find tRump's family history to be more troubling than Obama or Harris. He's a "new arrival", in the scheme of things. And exactly how did his Scottish born mother come here? What about his wife and her parents and that "chain migration" thing they have going on?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:57 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,442,619 times
Well, some of you have said it. You don't expect Kamala Harris to do anything for American DOS. I have to ask if you don't expect anything out of your politicians, why have these discussions here on the politics forum? Obama proved he cared nothing for American DOS, talked down to us every chance he got. The CBC had to petition for the "First Black President" to even speak with them. Yet some of you are telling me, "So what?"

Listen, I actually care about my community. I don't want to see them be duped again by someone playing on our feelings. ReineDeCoeur, you said you just want someone who will do well for the country. The whole country isn't suffering like we are suffering. It's the American DOS house that is engulfed in flames. What would you say if firefighters came upon a burning house, but say in their heart, "It wouldn't be fair just to spray down the house that's on fire. Let's make sure to spray all the houses with water."? Come on, what kind of logic is that? Yet if you don't care about that, I don't know what you're discussing here because I clearly care about that. So do many of us who are tired of being made the footstool of America.

In any case, I'm going to tell the people around me about Kamala. I'm going to get on social media and tell people about her. I'm going to make absolutely sure that people know the games she's playing.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Well, some of you have said it. You don't expect Kamala Harris to do anything for American DOS. I have to ask if you don't expect anything out of your politicians, why have these discussions here on the politics forum? Obama proved he cared nothing for American DOS, talked down to us every chance he got. The CBC had to petition for the "First Black President" to even speak with them. Yet some of you are telling me, "So what?"

Listen, I actually care about my community. I don't want to see them be duped again by someone playing on our feelings. ReineDeCoeur, you said you just want someone who will do well for the country. The whole country isn't suffering like we are suffering. It's the American DOS house that is engulfed in flames. What would you say if firefighters came upon a burning house, but say in their heart, "It wouldn't be fair just to spray down the house that's on fire. Let's make sure to spray all the houses with water."? Come on, what kind of logic is that? Yet if you don't care about that, I don't know what you're discussing here because I clearly care about that. So do many of us who are tired of being made the footstool of America.

In any case, I'm going to tell the people around me about Kamala. I'm going to get on social media and tell people about her. I'm going to make absolutely sure that people know the games she's playing.
The President should work for the betterment of the entire nation, not one ethnic group specifically. That’s what President Obama did.

We have different perspectives. The DOS in the US are more educated and successful than ever. Of course, it is more difficult because of the hand they were wrongfully dealt but they are still making strides.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Back then when it came to Obama in '08, it was mostly about seeing a black family being in the White House. Obama knew that, which is why he played the game. I don't want to see the same with Kamala. Of course Kamala may have already messed up by marrying a white man. So perhaps she wouldn't get the nomination anyway, but she is already playing up American blackness.
Let me rephase my question ?

Do you believe it is impossible for a black person to be politically left of Center ?

In a campaign where the choice is Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, or Barack Obama and John McCain, the left of center person is going to choose Obama both times. Your argument seems to make a claim that every black person chose color.

I can show you plenty of races where a white Democrat destroyed a black republican. So race seems to not be the reason, but rather, policies do.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Let me rephase my question ?

Do you believe it is impossible for a black person to be politically left of Center ?

In a campaign where the choice is Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, or Barack Obama and John McCain, the left of center person is going to choose Obama both times. Your argument seems to make a claim that every black person chose color.

I can show you plenty of races where a white Democrat destroyed a black republican. So race seems to not be the reason, but rather, policies do.

When it came to Obama, he got in based on his family being a black family. He played the heartstrings. Back in 08, he didn't get the Democrat nomination because of his policies. Hillary was the favorite going in that year. The only reason he won over Hillary was because of American DOS seeing a black family having a chance at the White House. Let's be honest with ourselves. If Obama was white, he wouldn't have beaten Hillary. (He wouldn't even have gotten to the point where it was between him and Hillary.) If Obama had a white wife, or non-American black wife, he wouldn't have beaten Hillary. To think anything different from that is revisionist history.

If you ask me by saying Obama got in because people saw him as black says something about us, no. Americans in general choose candidates based on their looks and other dumb crap that has nothing to do with their policies, or they are single issue voters. I was dumb as rocks back then as well. Yet now I know better, and see the condition we are in. Heck, I see the age we are in, which isn't good for anyone, much less the people at the very bottom. It's getting to the point that if you don't have a net worth of 800k+, life is going to be hard for you in this country. That's how fast wealth is calcifying to the top. We need a government that will return to the days of busting up monopolies, where wages increased with profit.

Most black people vote Democrat. Of course Obama would have won the black vote against McCain and Romney. Yet he got to that position due to playing off our history in this country. Talking in Selma and so on. Just like Kamala announcing her run around MLK day. Its a play on the heartstrings.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
When it came to Obama, he got in based on his family being a black family. He played the heartstrings. Back in 08, he didn't get the Democrat nomination because of his policies. Hillary was the favorite going in that year. The only reason he won over Hillary was because of American DOS seeing a black family having a chance at the White House. Let's be honest with ourselves. If Obama was white, he wouldn't have beaten Hillary. (He wouldn't even have gotten to the point where it was between him and Hillary.) If Obama had a white wife, or non-American black wife, he wouldn't have beaten Hillary. To think anything different from that is revisionist history.

If you ask me by saying Obama got in because people saw him as black says something about us, no. Americans in general choose candidates based on their looks and other dumb crap that has nothing to do with their policies, or they are single issue voters. I was dumb as rocks back then as well. Yet now I know better, and see the condition we are in. Heck, I see the age we are in, which isn't good for anyone, much less the people at the very bottom. It's getting to the point that if you don't have a net worth of 800k+, life is going to be hard for you in this country. That's how fast wealth is calcifying to the top. We need a government that will return to the days of busting up monopolies, where wages increased with profit.

Most black people vote Democrat. Of course Obama would have won the black vote against McCain and Romney. Yet he got to that position due to playing off our history in this country. Talking in Selma and so on. Just like Kamala announcing her run around MLK day. Its a play on the heartstrings.
Can you back up your argument with anything other than your own opinion. And yes, that is your opinion.

I mean, Barack Obama won Iowa, Clinton came in 3rd. So you cant really even make the coincidental argument you are trying to make.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Can you back up your argument with anything other than your own opinion. And yes, that is your opinion.

I mean, Barack Obama won Iowa, Clinton came in 3rd. So you cant really even make the coincidental argument you are trying to make.
I know Barack had the South by a landslide in the primaries, which of course that is where most of us live. I would include white Americans as well, as they saw a black man with the chance to become president. They were confused as well. If we were confused, I doubt other groups saw any different. Yet for the most "progressive" states like California and New York, Hillary had them won. All Hillary had to do was win the black votes in the primary, and it was an easy run. Obama played the heartstrings. If it wasn't the case, why did everyone make it such a big deal? No one will say if you ask them, "Yeah, I like Obama's views on such and such, and that is why I picked him over Hillary". At best you might say there were black people who knew about the legacy of the Clintons, but that's it. (Not many of them out there. Even to this day)

Remember, Obama at the time was an inexperienced politician. For all intents and purposes, he was a rookie trying to run for office. When the media started going in on Michelle, the primaries became about race.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM

By the way, since we are on the subject, Hillary played her own games about being the first woman president. Add in with her being the wife of Bill Clinton. So all politicians play these dumb games to get us to vote for them for non issues.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I know Barack had the South by a landslide in the primaries, which of course that is where most of us live. I would include white Americans as well, as they saw a black man with the chance to become president. They were confused as well. If we were confused, I doubt other groups saw any different. Yet for the most "progressive" states like California and New York, Hillary had them won. All Hillary had to do was win the black votes in the primary, and it was an easy run.
Hillary was the Senator for the State of New York, That is why she won, she also lost Vermont, which by all definitions is progressive. She also lost all of thsoe mountain west states, which seem to be more progressive. His map, looks like Bernie's int hat aspect.

Quote:
Obama played the heartstrings. If it wasn't the case, why did everyone make it such a big deal? No one will say if you ask them, "Yeah, I like Obama's views on such and such, and that is why I picked him over Hillary". At best you might say there were black people who knew about the legacy of the Clintons, but that's it. (Not many of them out there. Even to this day)
You seem to not believe in the ability to recognize multiple truths. Barack Obama can be both black, and liked for his policies. He didnt have to be one or the other.

The first black candidate with a chance matters.

Quote:
Remember, Obama at the time was an inexperienced politician. For all intents and purposes, he was a rookie trying to run for office. When the media started going in on Michelle, the primaries became about race.
President Obama was a State senator before a US senator and he was a US senator for just as long as George Bush was Governor of Texas.

He wasnt inexperienced at all. Thats some odd argument people who dont like him make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies