Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
As I mentioned earlier, some doctors are going concierge medicine. Mine surveyed her patients a year after ACA took effect and transitioned over to concierge medicine a couple of years ago. She does not accept any government insurance, nor private insurance. Patients pay an annual fee and all visits are free as well as some standard testing. When I go for an appointment she takes her time, my last visit was a good thirty minutes one on one with her.

That poster you are replying to lives in Canada, and my post/link he was replying to, as well as the link in his reply, are about Canada.

The existence of concierge practices seems to be more of a hot button issue in Canada for the reasons mentioned by the hospital physician and health policy researcher in the last five very short paragraphs in my link.

I'll re-post my link below....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/concierge-med...anada-1.678239
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't think so.

I think all of my PCP's patients have one Memorial Hermann plan or another.

Memorial Hermann is the largest not-for-profit health system in Southeast Texas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memori..._Health_System

And now for my reason for coming back to this thread .

I'd been a 'Kaiser Permanente person/member/patient' for enough years that I still have that specific process in my brain and I was mixing that up with Texas. My assumption above is wrong, because I was recalling a Kaiser experience, rather than how I came to my PCP in Texas....

......So the correct answer to the OP's question, for me, is yes (unless something has changed since I became a patient)...not "I don't think so".

I first 'encountered' the Memorial Hermann system through a Memorial Hermann branded urgent care/'doc in a box' that honored the different insurance that I had directly before I had insurance through Memorial Hermann. I was so impressed by the care, that I asked her (a female physician (as is my current PCP) from another continent (as is my current PCP)) if she could be my PCP. She laughed, said no, handed me the business card for my current PCP, and recommended her. My first question was...Don't I have to be a part of the Memorial Hermann ecosystem (insurance) to be a patient? She said no, and she was correct.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Under a single-payer, government run universal healthcare program in America, would patients get to keep their doctors, this is a serious question.
Single payer means the payer would change, not the doctor.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Under a single-payer, government run universal healthcare program in America, more patients would have doctors to keep.
As with anything, "you need from others" there are 3 pillars, but only two are achievable at a time.
1. Affordability/Price
2. Accessibility/Quick Service
3. Quality/The best there is

Pick two because no one will be achieving all 3. It goes for Universal Single payer too.
Sounds like you want accessibility, with more doctors to service people. If their "price fixing" in government run healthcare, doesn't pay the student loans for the education, you ain't gonna have many doctors. There is a reason doctors won't see Medicare patients, now. Can you imagine?
So, accessibility. What other do you want above the other? Affordability? or Quality?
If you pick Quality, affordability is out the window, if you want quick service. Demand would drive cost up.
If you pick Affordability, quality goes out the window because you want fast service. In and out fast, Cheap & easy..... Good is never cheap, and cheap is never good.
Taxing citizens, is not "free money". It is surrendered upon intimidation of harm, if we don't. A shakedown.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
No.. Just no.

Not one 1st world nation, dictates which doctor you are able to see.
Possibly. But they have and will say when.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As with anything, "you need from others" there are 3 pillars, but only two are achievable at a time.
1. Affordability/Price
2. Accessibility/Quick Service
3. Quality/The best there is

Pick two because no one will be achieving all 3. It goes for Universal Single payer too.
Sounds like you want accessibility, with more doctors to service people. If their "price fixing" in government run healthcare, doesn't pay the student loans for the education, you ain't gonna have many doctors. There is a reason doctors won't see Medicare patients, now. Can you imagine?
So, accessibility. What other do you want above the other? Affordability? or Quality?
If you pick Quality, affordability is out the window, if you want quick service. Demand would drive cost up.
If you pick Affordability, quality goes out the window because you want fast service. In and out fast, Cheap & easy..... Good is never cheap, and cheap is never good.
Taxing citizens, is not "free money". It is surrendered upon intimidation of harm, if we don't. A shakedown.
Well you're already paying more than anyone else in the free world and yet the U.S. is the worst quality among all those providing universal or single payer models:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

https://www.newsweek.com/united-stat...d-worst-637114

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...s-to-know.html

https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/u...e-differences/

https://askepticalhuman.com/politics...imes-rationing

Once again; a supposedly irrefutable equation of "either / or" turns out to be just more nonsense with no factual basis whatsoever other than what the poster imagines.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-20-2019 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Wrong again.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So does private insurance. For the same reason.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 2,223 times
I wouldn't care, if I got a bad doctor I would ask to change. I don't have a choice in my area the county hospital has a monopoly and they tell you which doctors are accepting patients so you don't get to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies